Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Yeah I know what you mean.

Obviously I'm completed biased, but I thought London's was definitely one of the best... whereas Paris just made me think "what the hell is this?" Although the fireworks at the end were nice
    There was 4 votes in it, so im sure the final videos made the difference. Paris' was slick and I liked it, but it wasnt selling the games. The London video did the business, bring kids into it and its a sure winner.

Apparently this decision is an 'injustice' and an 'offence' to Paris, yet it reflects the message they are receiving in politics and culture; if you continue to live in the past you will continue to lose out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    There was 4 votes in it, so im sure the final videos made the difference. Paris' was slick and I liked it, but it wasnt selling the games. The London video did the business, bring kids into it and its a sure winner.

Apparently this decision is an 'injustice' and an 'offence' to Paris, yet it reflects the message they are receiving in politics and culture; if you continue to live in the past you will continue to lose out.
    Yep. I think France were a bit complacent for most of the run up, too. For years they thought they had it in the bag...

ReputationRep:
    I missed the whole 'video' thingy , does anyone know if they are being re run and stuff? I'd love to see it all!

ReputationRep:
    (london won!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    Not that I'm bothered about it really. It's not even that local to me - I live in Middlesbrough - the French are closer to London FFS.
    yes i was just wondering what non-londoners thought of the result, being a Londoner myself.
    it is disappointing to see that some brits don't care, and have very little pride in their country's capital city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_watson87)
    Mmmmm, perhaps, he just seems a bit dosey. lol
    He does seem that way and he does seem to get a bit of stick for no real reasons from my experience. His height could well be an advantage and he's coem close to some goals, despite being a defensive midfielder.

ReputationRep:
    When the olympics were held in Sydney, people flocked from all over Australia to see the games, some from as far as Perth, a 4 hour plane flight away. If all Brits were as proud of the country as this, the olympics would be a great event in British History. I will definitely go to see an event in 2012.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reloader)
    yes i was just wondering what non-londoners thought of the result, being a Londoner myself.
    it is disappointing to see that some brits don't care, and have very little pride in their country's capital city.
    The total cost is expected to be £11 billion. The total income from the games is expected to be £4 billion. Where's the £7 billion gap, I here you say...

"COSTS:
    Around £7billion spent on improving London's infrastructure such as the Channel Tunnel Rail Link and extension of the East London line."

All the government's budget (and a lot more) for transport and improving infrastructure will be poured into London and anywhere outside of the M25 will be neglected and left to its own devices. Many of the roads and infrastructure outside SE London will rot away.

About £1.5 billion will be spent on spending new purpose built stadia - and before you say they'll be used after the Olympics, if they're that useful why weren't they going to build them anyway? - and most of this comes out of the budget for improving the status of British sport, which means less money for schoolkids, less money for investment in the future and less money for ensuring the long term foundations of British sport - which is currently in massive need of investment.

And yes, I am proud that London has beaten Paris, Madrid, New York and Moscow. We will be the centre point of the world in 2012. But this pride is tainted somewhat by the knowledge that (and even British athletes say this) Paris had the better bid. They had better facilities in place, better infrastructure and more experience in staging large events. They are tried and tested. Make no mistake about it, we only won because of the admittedly remarkable work of Seb Coe and his band of merry men. It was the campaign that won the Olympics for us, not London itself.

Although on a much more immature note, I would like to say this:

Up yours, Chirac.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneEightSeven)
    When the olympics were held in Sydney, people flocked from all over Australia to see the games, some from as far as Perth, a 4 hour plane flight away. If all Brits were as proud of the country as this, the olympics would be a great event in British History. I will definitely go to see an event in 2012.
    Will you really? Because it'll be so easy to get a ticket won't it? I mean, it's not as if 20,000 tickets per event will be given to corporate sponsors. And then there's the rest of the world who compete as well, you know...

I have no doubt that whenever this country hosts a sporting event, we support our competitors far more than in any other country. Euro 96, the Commonwealth games, even regular events like Wimbledon - our fans do our country proud. When we go abroad to World Cups, be it football, rugby or any other sport, our fans are always the best and in the biggest numbers. In 2012 I will be supporting my country as much as any other British person, but that does not mean I have to support the hosting of the event. I would be just as supportive of the athletes if it was held in London, Sydney, Athens, or Timbuctoo.

ReputationRep:
    Go the Brits!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fernando)
    screw gerrard - with a bit of work Jarosik will fill that midfield place superbly
    wow two jokes in one thread

ReputationRep:
    I think he maybe realised that if he left firstly the hassle he would get (like Beckham) and maybe Real or Chelsea werent prepared to pay him what Liverpool are.

And 2moro i'll start another thread about him leaving again!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxfordbrooks)
    stupid french knew they wouldn't host it in a crap city full of interbreading

Huh! "Crap city" I can maybe agree with Oblivious' comment to get one over the French, but Paris is not a crap city. The reason they want it in London is cos it's so run down that it needs revamping.

ReputationRep:
    The total cost is expected to be £11 billion. The total income from the games is expected to be £4 billion. Where's the £7 billion gap, I here you say...
    i heard it will be more like £3Bn - 4Bn.
    also, the cost of the iraq war was also a similar amount, and that hasnt exactly benefited any part of britain positively. at least the money spent will be worthwhile for future tourism, employment etc, and will have a +ve effect on all of UK.

Although on a much more immature note, I would like to say this:

Up yours, Chirac.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    who cares about the cost, it will not be result in a significant tax increase and I know this has been said but it may generate money.
    But tbh money is irrelevant, I know that to some people money is the only thing in life that matters ,but I'm quite happy to pay £50 extra tax in order to experience something I will remeber for the rest of my life, and go to an event that makes me proud to be British... and I'm sure many other are too

ReputationRep:
    Glad to see that billions of pounds will be poured into London....I mean that area of the country is so neglected.

Yeah, it's good that we got the Olympics, but seriously, they're putting SO MUCH money into it, it's not like London doesn't already get so much money....places like the North East will be neglected even more now :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theisticandy)
    who cares about the cost, it will not be result in a significant tax increase and I know this has been said but it may generate money.
    But tbh money is irrelevant, I know that to some people money is the only thing in life that matters ,but I'm quite happy to pay £50 extra tax in order to experience something I will remeber for the rest of my life, and go to an event that makes me proud to be British... and I'm sure many other are too
    It's not about any increases in tax (which most likely won't happen just for the Olympics :rolleyes: ), it's about how much money they're going to pour into it which you must think "What else could that money go towards?"

Which would you prefer:
    1. An event that makes you "proud to be British"
    2. A good quality school and recreational facilities (i.e. leisure centre, parks, etc.) in your area for your kids in the future

Money that will go into the Olympics will have to come from somewhere....which means budget cuts in other areas

ReputationRep:
    I do agree, but hey, they say that after putting up this olympic thing we are going to profit from it right??? or am i wrong

ReputationRep:
    I do hope someone new will emerge to go get federer a decent match

ReputationRep:
    He aint gonna do that i think, its a bit of big stir if he does

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.