Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Disco won't let Rasmussen make a 7 minute breakaway again!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I think you're over-reacting a bit. England have always been better in the 5-day game than the ODIs. But, that said I do think it'll be a close series but Australia will win it because they simply are the best in the world.

Gonna be a great series

ReputationRep:
    i personally think that australia will win definitely.they won the natwest challenge with big difference and they will win the ashes.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.funny-city.com/cartoons/olympics.shtml it this fun animation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    lol! Just a little sexism there?
    There is nothing sexist about that at all. It is the simple truth. She would have been trounced by any player in the men's draw at Wimbledon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    I think you're over-reacting a bit. England have always been better in the 5-day game than the ODIs. But, that said I do think it'll be a close series but Australia will win it because they simply are the best in the world.

Gonna be a great series
    And look who won the football world cup in 2002 - France.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit different. You could be knocked out of a tournament because of a 'bad day'. To win a test against Australia you need them to have 2-4 bad days out of 5, or play out of your skins for the same amount. To win a 5 match series is even more difficult.

Australia have been the best in the world for 10 years for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    The Aussie team is getting old:
    Gilchrist 33
    Gillespe 30
    Warne 35
    Ponting 30
    Hayden 33
    McGrath 35
    I'm not sure whether they can still consistently play with the same energy they did 2 or even 4 years ago. We've seen this summer that when they dont play with much energy (against bangladesh and some of the ODIs against England) they can be beaten. I'm not sure if we will win but I think the relative youth in our team will put up a strong fight, especially in back-to-back tests.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. We're in better shape than we have been, but we still have almost no chance. I believe there's a bit a of hope for the top order. Tres, Strauss and Vaughan all play better if they have a few overs to work the ball around and not worry about the runs. That said, I can't see Vaughan returning to the form he was in a few years ago. I hope Pietersen is picked over Thorpe...but that's another debate! Flintoff seems to be finding some form with the bat. I'm worried, however, he'll be the pick of the bowlers. Did anyone see that ball Harmison bowled which had to be taken by first slip? Hoggard just isn't penetrative enough. Giles is only a containing bowler. It's such a shame we don't have a decent leggie. I feel there's going to be some dismal fourth innings scores if Warne finds his radar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    You could be knocked out of a tournament because of a 'bad day'.
    That's why Chelsea lost to Liverpool in the CL. :mad:

All I'm saying is that with sport, I've seen enough surprises in my life to not dismiss England's chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nooneknows)
    Agreed. We're in better shape than we have been, but we still have almost no chance. I believe there's a bit a of hope for the top order. Tres, Strauss and Vaughan all play better if they have a few overs to work the ball around and not worry about the runs. That said, I can't see Vaughan returning to the form he was in a few years ago. I hope Pietersen is picked over Thorpe...but that's another debate! Flintoff seems to be finding some form with the bat. I'm worried, however, he'll be the pick of the bowlers. Did anyone see that ball Harmison bowled which had to be taken by first slip? Hoggard just isn't penetrative enough. Giles is only a containing bowler. It's such a shame we don't have a decent leggie. I feel there's going to be some dismal fourth innings scores if Warne finds his radar.
    I completely agree. Our batsmen are good if they have time to settle... weather the opening bowling and then take on Gillespie and Kasprowicz to an extent, who are the weaker elements of the Aussie attack.

I do however still think our bowlers are completely overrated. Harmison had a few good games, and Giles has to work hard for his wickets. Hoggard has been ordinary for quite a few games now, so we will need an attack that can take out the famous Australian batting lineup!

Bring back Ian Blackwell is what I say.

ReputationRep:
    go home now!!

ReputationRep:
    i think england are in for a good shout. i found it annoying that when ppl like nasser hussain, botham etc. were asked whose going to win all said england.

correct me if im wrong but i think england have got a winning streak going in test matches. weve white washed new zealand (i think SA to :confused: )so we've been beating good teams.

i think odi is completely different to test matches, becasue in odi's you have more pressure to score runs.

to the point i think england are not being given the credit that they deserve and it defiently will be a good series. its hard to predict so im saying that its going to be 3-2 but i dont know who to

ReputationRep:
    The 1st Test is only a week away, so for cricket lovers or anyone else, come here to talk about who you think is gonna win, team selection or anything else Ashes related.

ReputationRep:
    Good idea to keep all things Ashes in one place.

ReputationRep:
    He's brilliant. I remember when he got 270 odd at Lords against England. And I loved the way he showed up the sledging Aussies for what their worth.

ReputationRep:
    and he talks really well to the media too

ReputationRep:
    England 5 Australia 0.
    no question about it

ReputationRep:
    Yep hes a good solid player, a bit like Dravid, but admittedly not as good. But Janasuriya is a quality attacking player who iv always rated.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.