Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Unless his balls fall off again...
    :mad: not funny

ReputationRep:
    And he has a really fit girlfriend too, lucky £$(*£$.

Any of you ever tried googling Minki van der Westhuizen?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    A little bit of the British 'eternal optimism' there

Who does everyone think will be Man of the Series? On either side...

ReputationRep:
    i just keep remembering the time when he trod on his stumps and was out- i felt sorry for him, but seeing as it was against england

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    That's why Chelsea lost to Liverpool in the CL. :mad:

All I'm saying is that with sport, I've seen enough surprises in my life to not dismiss England's chances.
    Chelsea lost becuase they could barely manage a shot on goal against a team almost 40 points worse off

I agree nothing should be taken for granted and England will put up a good fight, I just think Australia will be too strong. Age shouldn't be a problem to be honest, Warne hasn't played in the ODIs (though has for Hampshire). Langer will be back in. 32 isn't old at all when you consider Hayden is built like a boxer and there isn't a team more physically adept as Australia. They also had a few months good rest before coming to England. The only one I worry about physically is Gillespie because of all the problems he's had.

I've always though 2007 is when England will get the ashes back personally.

ReputationRep:
    Any chance of merging the other Ashes thread into this?

ReputationRep:
    thank god for that though, he would probably have gone on to record the highest individual score against England or something like that! Didn't he average over 150 during that Test series?

People were debating whether or not he could cut the mustard - having only had a few Test caps, and straight to the captain's job!

ReputationRep:
    He failed after the first two tests though when England found his technique out. He has quite a few flaws but I do like him as a cricketer - bold, aggresive and attacking. His batting and captaincy will only get better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nooneknows)
    Agreed. We're in better shape than we have been, but we still have almost no chance. I believe there's a bit a of hope for the top order. Tres, Strauss and Vaughan all play better if they have a few overs to work the ball around and not worry about the runs. That said, I can't see Vaughan returning to the form he was in a few years ago. I hope Pietersen is picked over Thorpe...but that's another debate! Flintoff seems to be finding some form with the bat. I'm worried, however, he'll be the pick of the bowlers. Did anyone see that ball Harmison bowled which had to be taken by first slip? Hoggard just isn't penetrative enough. Giles is only a containing bowler. It's such a shame we don't have a decent leggie. I feel there's going to be some dismal fourth innings scores if Warne finds his radar.
    I kinda agree- England's batting lineup is quite strong (well, the strongest it has been in recent yrs), but to have a chance I think we're going to need Harmison on top form for all five matches. You can count on Lee and McGrath to bowl consistently every time, but England's bowlers are simply not as good.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, thing with rasmussen is hes a tiny tiny bloke, hes called "chicken legs" apparantly, which is why hes so good at climbing- no mass to heave up the hills, but when it comes to time-trials hes utterly awful - Lance took 3 minutes out of him on the first time trial which was only 19km, the next time-trial is gonna be 55km, so you can expect about 5-10 minutes to be taken away from him next one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    Hello! croquet's going OK, getting plenty of play in this summer... and the World Championships are taking place in August about 40 miles from where I live (obviously most of UK are oblivious to it :p:) so I'm going to go and watch some the best players on quarter and semifinals days!
    Cool And you never know, one day, one of those competitors could be you :cool:

Good to see you're all getting out and trying different sports these hols (well your summer hols!)

DB_x

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a clue on where i can find size 11's of these boots, i have been searching for months and efforts have been to no avail.peace

ReputationRep:
    I thought "chicken legs" referred to the thickness of his legs, i.e skinny like a chickens?! Unless Vino/T-mobile or Rasmussen attack in the Pyrenees then a LA win is inevitable given his dominance in TTing!

ReputationRep:
    Well Boonen is out, injured http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ng/4681965.stm throwing the Green jersey wide open. I think that Botero could actually pull back the defecit in the King of the Mountains during the Pyreness, its not won yet for Rasmussen who is riding brilliantly by the way. I think that himself, Botero and Basso are now the only contenders to Armstrong for GC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    Who does everyone think will be Man of the Series? On either side...
    I reckon it could all hinge on Flintoff for England. For Australia its hard to look any further than McGrath or Warne cos their so consistent.

ReputationRep:
    Pietersen has been picked over Thorpe....

Bad move IMO.

ReputationRep:
    I think Australia have the egde over England after winning the one day Natwest trophy. If Australia play their best then, i reckon it will be very hard for England to win. I'd love England to win but see the score as 3-1 to the aussies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    He failed after the first two tests though when England found his technique out. He has quite a few flaws but I do like him as a cricketer - bold, aggresive and attacking. His batting and captaincy will only get better.
    did anyone watch the tsunami special game. mcc vs ......(cant remeber)
    smith was dere and he played pretty good. i think hes improved in odi's but is a better test player.

ReputationRep:
    Cool with a TDF thread. Cycling is THE sport! period

And what a great tour so far for a norwegian Lance fan:
    Armstrong in yellow, stronger than ever.
    A Danish ultra slim guy is second overall and lead the mountains classification!
    And today Hushovd took the green jersey!! GO HUSHOVD!!!

Difficult to see any real threat to Armstrong. I think Basso will make the top 3. Very cool with Valverde who is so young, but I'm afraid that he will not be able to be 100% fit during all the tough stages to come. Mancebo may have similar problems. Usually has a bad day. Rasmussen will probably lose minimum 3 minutes to Lance on the last TT. But if he have a podium spot within sight he might do the TT of his life and lose less than 5 minutes at least.

If anybody is going to beat Lance they have to attack and he and his fantastic team need to have an off-day. That's possible, but highly unlikely.

Hope that Hushovd can keep the green jersey all the way to Paris. He has and is fighting hard for it. It's a pity that Boonen could not continue, though.

ReputationRep:
    Who do you think will win it?Who do you think will be the 1st round leader? I personally think Tiger Woods.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.