Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I think I'll stickie this thread a few days before the first Ashes match and unsticky the Wimbledon thread then.
    My thought exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    Van brommel/Davids can replace him. It was inevitable that patrick was gonna leave anyway, at least they got a good price for him this way,

Aslon as pires/ljunberg/henry stay then the attacking part of Arsenals game is still intact aslong as they buy a decent replacement.
    Davids..... :eek:

What bhave you been smoking, or are you still stuck in season 99-00

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Well unless he agrees to sign the 1 year extension and stop trying to bargain for 2 years then he could well be off
    True, he tried to get a deal done with Juve on a Bosman himself, but old Dien-ey stopped that

ReputationRep:
    Pires is good. Why not give him a 2 year extension. Look at Bergies age. Arsenal are being stingy on Pires I feel.

ReputationRep:
    Lance Armstrong certainly has the better team behind him - it's certainly more reassuring when you can rely on domestiques of the calibre of Savoldelli and Azevedo (5th last year!?1) CSC just can't rival with that experience (Julich apart taking his performance into account)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    Pires is good. Why not give him a 2 year extension. Look at Bergies age. Arsenal are being stingy on Pires I feel.
    2 years is pushing it I feel. In my opinion Bergkamp should have retired 2 seasons ago. He has his flashes of brilliance but the majority of the time has little impact on the game. His finishing touch went down the pan and personally my memories of his class will not be soo good due to the fact that he played on.

ReputationRep:
    jenas to arsenal?

Sounds like a good move to me.

What do you arsenhole fans think?

ReputationRep:
    I thought Jenas plays on the left... or the right...?

(Original post by tiempo)
    Just, don't think. :rolleyes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiempo)
    Down the middle but I dont think he has progressed much in the last couple of years. I trust Wenger will do the right thing though

ReputationRep:
    Saw that in the Daily Mail (amazing paper that it is, not) and thought 'are they having a larf?' Jenas is alright but in no way a replacement for Vieira.

Shaun Wright-Phillips'd be class - surprised his step-dad hasn't encouraged him to go the Arsenal way!

Bergkamp's been great this season considering his age - and a lot more committed than some of the youth, say Reyes. Dunno what they're playing at with Pires - should just give the guy an extension, stop making things difficult for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Jenas is awful, no way near good enough at the moment, but maybe his lack of progress can be attributed to the awful coaching he has recieved at Newcastle and also the players that have surrounded him. Maybe Wenger could get the best out of him.

It's about time Arsenal had the flexibility to change their midfield anyway, they have a holding player in Gilberto so I would like to see someone like Roscicky alongside him. Also he may consider playing Toure in the Vieira role seeing as Campbell and Senderos can cover in defense.

Maybe it would be sensible to bring in an experienced midfielder(not really a stopgap) but just someone who can do well for the next 2 or 3 years until Fabregas and Flamini have matured into genuine contenders for the permenant position in the centre.

ReputationRep:
    I think Fabregas is brilliant and was really good this season for a 17-year-old...would say it's a bit bad he's been expected to play almost every match at his age, but actually, I think it's no bad thing because he seemed to be in top form all season. However some commanding experience is needed in midfield and Fabregas and Flamini need a bit of a guiding force, so I kind of agree with your last sentiment.

ReputationRep:
    Jenas is a joke comparing to viera. Wenger will find a suitable replacement.. he always does.

ReputationRep:
    Jenas is a joke - that is a step back for Arsenal. I have never seen anything valueable in the slightest that player could bring to Arsenal.

Wright-Phillips is a player I so admire. Just look at his attitude and discipline. The way he is for Man City etc. The Man City fans will ahte to see him go, but he will have to one day to win silverware. Arsenal would be a natural progression ahead of Chelsea in ensuring regular starts and the best reception ever. I just itch my head when I think its Ian Wrights doing! I mean, he's not exactly disciplined is he! lol.

As for Bergy staying on - this is a good thing because of the commitment and professing he can teach the youth of Arsenal. He is a player to be admired by the whole Arsenal team and someone they can learn from. He is a morale booster.

Pires for 2 years is not stretching it! He's easily good for 2 years. If not - sell him!

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea have just had an £18m bid rejected for SWP, can't see Arsenal beating that offer to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    Jenas is a joke comparing to viera. Wenger will find a suitable replacement.. he always does.
    jenas is like 22 hes got time to become better than viera

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gexko)
    jenas is like 22 hes got time to become better than viera
    I can't see him doing that despite his age. Viera was far more advanced than Jenas at 22.

ReputationRep:
    18 million I'm sure Arsenal would bid if they could get him.
    Its only if Chelsea offer stupid money like 30million are Arsenal out of the race.
    And between the 2, I'm sure SWP would prefer Arsenal.

Jenas at 22 should be like Flamini at 17! or even Fabregas!
    Viera is miles ahead of Jenas. Jenas should not even appear on the subs bench for England. What was Becham like at 22?

22 years is a nice age for football where your young and full of youth. I believe 25 to be the peak more so than the 27 years some people suggest.

ReputationRep:
    As good as Vieira was im not sure if we need a direct replacement as such. Last year Pat had to play the so called holding role due to Gilberto's lengthy injury. He wasnt able to make forward runs as much due to the possibility of leaving the defence exposed. I didnt think a great deal of Gilberto before this season to be honest but it was clearly evident that there was a gap in the midfield which he fills perfectly. When we won the championship last year there was a tendancy for Vieira to get forward and support the attackers. He wasnt able to this last season.
    Personally I believe an attacking midfielder is a possible replacement and not a defensive one as such. I would like to see someone such as Ballack or Rosicky (mentioned above) come in especially as we had restricted success with the wingers last season and were one dimensional a lot of the time. This would offer a potential to attack through the centre. Baptista is also another option who did play in centre midfield before he left Brazil and this may be in the thoughts of Wenger who has reportidly stepped up our bid despite rumours that the transfer was off. However with Edu leaving it would be wise to bring in another defensive midfielder although not neccessarily a well known name but a signing such as that of Gilberto when he joined the club for around 5m.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.