Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    yeah it looks like we've lost 4 wickets for 9 runs, and all due to amazing mcgrath bowling. He's making Steve Harmison look like a schoolboy bowler... :mad:

we really need pieterson and flintoff just to bat it out now... we've got loads of time - all day tomorrow in fact, to establish ourselves!

ReputationRep:
    omg Flintoff is out for a duck as well.... 21-5!

Our top scorer has got 6. Doesn't bode well..... can we be in danger of being forced to follow on, at this rate?

ReputationRep:
    This is precisely why I would have preferred Thorpe to be in the side rather than Pieterson. Thorpe, I think, has one of the best temperaments in cricket; he's one of those people who can just grit his teeth and bear what's being thrown at him. I mean, look at his test average, it's around 45, after all his years. His experience would be perfect at this situation.

Michael

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)

Our top scorer has got 6. Doesn't bode well..... can we be in danger of being forced to follow on, at this rate?
    They can't make England follow-on even if they bowled them out right now. In the 5 day game, a team has to trial by 200 runs or more

Michael

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starsailor)
    This is precisely why I would have preferred Thorpe to be in the side rather than Pieterson. Thorpe, I think, has one of the best temperaments in cricket; he's one of those people who can just grit his teeth and bear what's being thrown at him. I mean, look at his test average, it's around 45, after all his years. His experience would be perfect at this situation.

Michael
    Yeh exactly what i was thinking before, id have prefered Thorpe to Bell or Pieterson or even Strauss. But its Australias gain and McGrath is a true LEGEND!! Wish i could see Geoff Boycotts face now after all the crap he said this morning.

ReputationRep:
    Ah OK. My bad, it's been such a long time since I've watched 5 day cricket that I forgot whether the follow on was 150 runs or more, or 200 runs or more!

So it's 150 for 4-day (county) cricket then?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.

-200+ for 5 day
    -150+ for 3/4 day
    -100+ for 2 day
    -75+ for a day game

Michael

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starsailor)
    Yeah.

-200+ for 5 day
    -150+ for 3/4 day
    -100+ for 2 day
    -75+ for a day game

Michael
    I thought 2 innings per side games were 3 days or more...

so follow ons don't exist for shorter games surely...

ReputationRep:
    Typical England batting collapse eh.

ReputationRep:
    manged to get through the 10 runs barrier with Jones...
    This is pathetic. 40-5.

ReputationRep:
    so who is going to win this test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    so who is going to win this test?
    England are gonna have to bat extremely well and then bowl Aus out for a low score second time round to have any chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    England are gonna have to bat extremely well and then bowl Aus out for a low score second time round to have any chance.
    Aus are bad......but England are worse!!! Freddie, you let the team down...no hope now. pray for draw...raindance anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree. Hopefully we can squeeze out a decent score, and get a first innings lead. McGrath can't keep bowling forever - we can start attacking Gillespie when he gets on later. Pieterson will have a field day..

I suppose, typical of England to do 'really well' - 97-5 then completely **** up with a batting collapse -25-5!

ReputationRep:
    You can bowl out Aus for 190 one time round, but somehow I feel, especially if the sun comes out, the Aussie bats will be wanting some runs. Unless it rains of course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    but both the teams are tired now and it is highly unlikely any of the teams will bat extremely well.

ReputationRep:
    Pietersen and Jones are looking good in comparison to everyone else!

ReputationRep:
    Excellent news. Anyone want to speculate how big their partnership's gonna be?

I'm pleased for GO Jones - he's been a bit short of big innings for awhile now, and he's a damn fine batsman.

ReputationRep:
    being the pessimist I'm thinking the partnership will end soon just as it seems to be going really well. And then the confidence will decrease again and we will go back to low numbers.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.