Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Man of the Match: GD McGrath
    His 9 for 82 in this match are his best figures in a Test in England.

ReputationRep:
    Ah well; with a rousing cheer: "Bring back Thorpey, Bring back Thorpey

ReputationRep:
    Its only on MUTV

ReputationRep:
    there was a game on itv2 - not sure if that was a part of the tour

ReputationRep:
    Well I did comment earlier in the thread how England will need to be on top of their game constantly to beat the Aussies. They played well in the morning session on Thursday but Oz were too good after that.

Still, Australia are THE best in the world, England are still learning. Still going to be a great series. Well played Australia.

ReputationRep:
    England's fielding let them down. They could have, and should have restricted their own target to nearer or less than 300. The dropped catches meant they were chasing 420 - in other words the world record. Against the best attack in the world and a deteriorating pitch, highly unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    Once Jones went and even before that it was obvious Australia would wrap it up, altho a bit nerve-racking as at one point it seemed as if the rain would stop them from doing so. I reckon Englands batting should have scored a bit more in the first innings, and if i was selector people like Bell and Vaughn wouldnt be in the team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    England's fielding let them down. They could have, and should have restricted their own target to nearer or less than 300. The dropped catches meant they were chasing 420 - in other words the world record. Against the best attack in the world and a deteriorating pitch, highly unlikely.
    I thought England's bowling the 2nd innings was largely dissapointing. Martyn and Clarke were just able to pick runs off their pads at ease. It was good in patches but not enough consistency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    I thought England's bowling the 2nd innings was largely dissapointing. Martyn and Clarke were just able to pick runs off their pads at ease. It was good in patches but not enough consistency.
    Very true. But some of Australias bowling in the 2nd innings --- particularly Warne --- was amazing. Well done Pietersen!

ReputationRep:
    yer the next two games are on itv2 - like the one against beijing is on tuesday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Giles let them off the hook, 11 overs disappering for 56. England desperately need a quality spinner. Don't forget Clarke was dropped on 21 by Pietersen. If he had been taken, England would probably have been chasing 280, much more chasabale than 420.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    if i was selector people like Bell and Vaughn wouldnt be in the team.
    Don't you get an automatic place if you're captain? xx

ReputationRep:
    Bring on Edgbaston!!

The Aussies are incredible... we don't stand a chance in any of them!
    Their diversity and strength in Bowling is just too strong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oblivious)
    he hasn't lived up to the hype of a £24million transfer fee
    Will SWP live up to the £21m transfer fee too? hmmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    Don't you get an automatic place if you're captain? xx
    I remember that once, the England captain at the time dropped himself because he was out of form. It was way back in the 1960s. Can't remember the name.

ReputationRep:
    Once Jones went and even before that it was obvious Australia would wrap it up, altho a bit nerve-racking as at one point it seemed as if the rain would stop them from doing so. I reckon Englands batting should have scored a bit more in the first innings, and if i was selector people like Bell and Vaughn wouldnt be in the team.
    I think Bell is one for the future even if he did have a bad match. Vaughan hasn't done anything special ever since his incredible series Down Under

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Will SWP live up to the £21m transfer fee too? hmmmm
    hope not, cant let the total value of players on ur subs bench get any higher - no, but i really hope he succeeds, because judging by his last performance for England, he really needs some help getting to international standard.

ollie

ReputationRep:
    if i was selector people like Bell and Vaughn wouldnt be in the team.
    Cricket's probably the only sport where the captain can be more useful for his tactical knowhow than his actual ability. Mike Brealey was one of the best captains ever, yet his batting was often abysmal at best. Plus, it's not as if Vaughan's playing that bad - he's just off form. He will get himself back in the runs. And besides, who else is there to replace him? Trescothick? Bloody hell....

And as for Bell??! Blimey. He's one of our best prospects for ages, and just because he has one bad game you want him out? South Africa and (especially) Australia always give players 5 or 6 tests to prove their worth and never drop a player on the basis of one performance. That's been our downfall over the last decade - dropping players all too eagerly. The lad hit two half centures and one century in his first three innings. And he hits 'em for fun at County level. Bell, Pieterson and Flintoff are the future. And Vaughan's our best captain in years. Don't get on their backs now after one bad game against the best team in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Giles let them off the hook, 11 overs disappering for 56. England desperately need a quality spinner. Don't forget Clarke was dropped on 21 by Pietersen. If he had been taken, England would probably have been chasing 280, much more chasabale than 420.
    Giles never got into his stride yup. But I thought the pace bowlers were unimaginative and inept too often.

As for Vaughan & Bell. Well I think Vaughan has a few flaws in his captaincy (as does Ponting for that matter) but he's still young and improving. He is a good captain imo. He desperately needs an innings or two though. I'd actually prefer him to open the batting but that won't happen and he's become a bit of a liability at no.3. Although he did get a couple of cracking deliveries in this test. In terms of Bell, think people are being far too harsh. He's got an excellent county record and uptil now, when given the chance he's done the business. England made a very bold (and un-english) decision to play KP IMO, they should not revert back to their old ways and drop Bell after one bad game. He's an excellent player who has deserved his chance and deserves to make up for a poor game.

England are definitley #2 in the world and CAN compete with Australia. They've had one bad game, don't get on their backs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oblivious)
    he hasn't lived up to the hype of a £24million transfer fee
    He doesn't have to. His transfer fee is completely irrelevent.

He had one excellent season at Marseille and last season he was ok. But considering he was a regular part of the champions and a CL semi final team, he has done his job for Chelsea in his first season which is always difficult.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.