Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronaldinho_88)
    Chelsea won by 1-0
    Arjen Robben scored 13th min - edge of 18 yaard box, like goal against Blackburn (bottom right corner), milan didnt get a shot on target

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parisian Scot)
    Rangers manager Alex McLeish seems to think that the Old Firm deserve to be in the Premiership due to a lack of competition in the SPL. As an Aberdeen fan I am torn. On the one hand, I would love to see the back of them. The sectarian element of their support is a disgrace to Scottish football (as are Rangers' European performances ) and they are almost singlehandedly destroying the future of our national team by 'stealing' young talent from impoverished clubs and leaving them to rot on the bench. However, I have to wonder whether the SPL would survive without the gruesome twosome as the number of fans they bring to away games is a valuable source of income for the other clubs

So two questions for fans of English clubs:
    a) Do the Old Firm deserve to be in the EPL?
    b) Do you want them in the EPL?

i dont think they deserve to be in the EPL, what exactly have they done? lol - however, i would be happy to see them in the premier league because they wouldnt have a hope in hell of finishing in a European slot. English teams nearly always advance past the group stages in the champions league, scottish teams cant even do that. i doubt very much that celtic/rangers would finish above any of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle... etc. bring it on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliemccowan)
    i dont think they deserve to be in the EPL, what exactly have they done? lol - however, i would be happy to see them in the premier league because they wouldnt have a hope in hell of finishing in a European slot. English teams nearly always advance past the group stages in the champions league, scottish teams cant even do that. i doubt very much that celtic/rangers would finish above any of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle... etc. bring it on
    I think the Old Firm would argue that the massively increased income which would undoubtedly result from a move south (e.g. through sky tv deal + improved sponsorship) would allow them eventually (within 5-10years) to compete in the transfer market and thus challenge for Europe. Additioanlly, both have excellent training and youth facilities, much better than the average EPL club and in terms of support within the UK, are bigger than Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle and can therefore expect to improve over time.

Although i dont believe a move is imminent, both clubs have enormous financial potential and in the increasingly business like world of football, the power that be might find it hard to resist.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Old Firm would argue that the massively increased income which would undoubtedly result from a move south (e.g. through sky tv deal + improved sponsorship) would allow them eventually (within 5-10years) to compete in the transfer market and thus challenge for Europe. Additioanlly, both have excellent training and youth facilities, much better than the average EPL club and in terms of support within the UK, are bigger than Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle and can therefore expect to improve over time.

Although i dont believe a move is imminent, both clubs have enormous financial potential and in the increasingly business like world of football, the power that be might find it hard to resist.
    problem is, how many fans are going to want to trek all the way to scotland to see their team play away? and how would them entering work? because the clubs in the championship would argue that it wasnt fair that celtic/rangers got in when they have never challenged them either.

ReputationRep:
    sectarian elements arent the exclusive domain of rangers and celtic for a start.

ReputationRep:
    problem is, how many fans are going to want to trek all the way to scotland to see their team play away? and how would them entering work? because the clubs in the championship would argue that it wasnt fair that celtic/rangers got in when they have never challenged them either.
    Not sure that i agree with your first point. For fans of clubs like Man U, Man City, Newcastle, Bolton, Wigan etc, a trip to Glasgow would not be much further than one to London or the South Coast. Anyway, we are always hearing how dedicated fans are to their teams, here is their chance to prove it! As for your 2nd point, this is probably the main sticking point of a possible move however i would advocate expanding the league to 22 so that u have the 3 promoted teams from the championship + the Old Firm so no-one loses out, although this is bound to face opposition as well. Any other takes?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure that i agree with your first point. For fans of clubs like Man U, Man City, Newcastle, Bolton, Wigan etc, a trip to Glasgow would not be much further than one to London or the South Coast. Anyway, we are always hearing how dedicated fans are to their teams, here is their chance to prove it! As for your 2nd point, this is probably the main sticking point of a possible move however i would advocate expanding the league to 22 so that u have the 3 promoted teams from the championship + the Old Firm so no-one loses out, although this is bound to face opposition as well. Any other takes?
    True true. however, the problem that could arise is what say celtic or rangers fare really badly in the premiership and actually get relegated - will they be allowed to retake their position in the scottish premier, or will they have to fight the problems of relegation. and can you imagine how livid fergie and mourinho would be, after campaigning about the season being too long, to have to play even more games - and not even a nearby game for chelsea.

Rangers manager Alex McLeish seems to think that the Old Firm deserve to be in the Premiership due to a lack of competition in the SPL. As an Aberdeen fan I am torn. On the one hand, I would love to see the back of them. The sectarian element of their support is a disgrace to Scottish football (as are Rangers' European performances ) and they are almost singlehandedly destroying the future of our national team by 'stealing' young talent from impoverished clubs and leaving them to rot on the bench. However, I have to wonder whether the SPL would survive without the gruesome twosome as the number of fans they bring to away games is a valuable source of income for the other clubs

So two questions for fans of English clubs:
    a) Do the Old Firm deserve to be in the EPL?
    b) Do you want them in the EPL?

this debate has been raging for years, and i strongly support them entering EPL. its jsut stupid up in scotland with the usual 2 horse race everytime. would certainly liven things up a bit more, increase revenue both north and south of the border, increase competitiveness in the EPL (both because both teams are top quality and at least capable of top 10 placing, and also because both tesm have huge fans bases and revenues already - not like the debt riddled borderline clubs)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    sectarian elements arent the exclusive domain of rangers and celtic for a start.
    Of course not, but to deny that there is a serious problem of bigotry between the two clubs is plain fantasy. Personally, i think as the clubs only have 4-6 competitive domestic fixtures a season (those against each other), the fans become obsessed by the rivalry which often spills over into violence. However, if they were to move to the EPL, both would face high quality competition every week which would perhaps dilute the strength of hatred between the two clubs. Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a bit of 'healthy banter' :p: but sectarian attacks and gestures have no place in civilised society.

ReputationRep:
    Well done to Cadel Evans for getting 8th place

You made us all proud back at home :cool: *Is a happy Aussie* :p:

ReputationRep:
    its a fair point... but I think it will do more harm than good to the SPL, these two teams draw crowds and provide a financial backbone which is important for the league. I dont think they would be particularly succesful and would upper/mid table it ( bolton or villa - ish) plus I dont know how it would work, it would mean 5 teams would be relegated from the EPL and i would just muck up the whole league system to the irritation of a lot of league and non league teams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fernando)
    wouldnt happen - Scottish teams would have a smaller chance of winning in Champs League, also Celtic/Rangers would only be able to get UEFA cup places as i think the top three EPL teams would command them, maybe some competition for fourth but i think Liverpool would get that.
    They wouldn't even get a UEFA place to be honest. They would be midtable at best. Better off with the Atlantic idea to be honest.

Plus if they really want to join the English league, start from the Conference and work your way up and earn it. So how are they going to cope without revenue from Europe?

ReputationRep:
    True true. however, the problem that could arise is what say celtic or rangers fare really badly in the premiership and actually get relegated - will they be allowed to retake their position in the scottish premier, or will they have to fight the problems of relegation. and can you imagine how livid fergie and mourinho would be, after campaigning about the season being too long, to have to play even more games - and not even a nearby game for chelsea.
    To be honest it would be hilarious if they were relegated! Knowing the Old Firm, they would go down there with the ingrained mentality of arrogance and probably get thumped every game! It would be interesting to see how they would react to relegation as the concept is totally foreign to them. But just like everyone else they would have to earn their place in the EPL again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    They wouldn't even get a UEFA place to be honest. They would be midtable at best. Better off with the Atlantic idea to be honest.

That was an interesting idea but the travel element made sure it never really got off the ground So how are they going to cope without revenue from Europe?
    That was an interesting idea but the travel element made sure it never really got off the ground

Simply being in the EPL with the current Sky deal would far exceed their earnings in the SPL even with Europe. They never go far very far do they?

ReputationRep:
    I think a move south would be good for Rangers and Celtic, but not neccesarily for Scottish football - a lot of revenue and fans would be taken out of an already poor scottish league system. However both clubs would have to kiss their European football good bye for the best part of a decade.

I don't see any reason why Rangers and Celtic should just stroll into the top division of English football, because, at the moment, the level of football in scotland is not very good. The players are very unfit compared to the english club players (as Rangers and Cetic have much more talent and are playing poor opposition week in week out) they only get (excluding european games) 4 games a year of football approaching anywhere near the standard of the English Premiership. A spell in the Championship to prove their worth would be more acceptable.

The main worry for me would be the spread of sectarianism south of the border, would we see certain English clubs 'sectarianised' by trips north of the border?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noel)
    Hi people decided to rejoin this forum. Been really busy with shows lately, been on holiday and chilling really.

I got back from holiday at 3 am last night, Desmond hasnt been ridden for a week and I have a class at Royal lancs tomorrow at 8am! Nevertheless hes been going really well and been placed nearly every RIHS and HOYS qualifier hes been enterred in, jumping clear consistantly. Im about to go to the farm and see what state he is in and attempt to fit a weeks work into an afternoon :eek: . Then Im driving to RIHS on Wednesday.

Noel x
    Good Luck!!! Jo's taking some horses down to RHIS on Wednesday too, it's all very exciting. Matt is improving a lot now, seems to have been disuaded from injuring himself in a way that puts him out of work - he currently has a large chunk missing from his neck, but it's not life threatening. We're working on the theory of 'don't slow down' during competitions (Claire's model for MAtt's good behaviour) which generally involves going round courses at break neck speed with Claire yelling "Don't stop, just steer!" which, quite frankly, is easier said than done. However, I've finally found a pelham which looks promising in it's abilities to persuade horse onto the bit, though not quite as reliable when it comes to stopping at the moment. It's brilliant - the shanks are twice normal length! Jo had it made specially for one of her really strong horses years ago and she's said I can borrow it. Now I just have to fill out my BSJA forms (£170 a year, it's a rip-off!) and persuade my parents to cough up (1) my affiliation/memebership fees and (2) for a horsebox. Easy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silence)
    spurs are trying to buy baptista. he's not crap.
    they're not trying to buy him, they're trying to raise the price for arsenal - they can't honestly believe they're going to get him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Leeds still think they are a Premiership club. :rolleyes:
    yer well i don't like leeds now - although they've got a decent young team at the moment, shame that lennon left them to go rot in spuds reserve team

ReputationRep:
    The old firm in the English premiership is definately a no no. They would never be able to compete with any of the big teams.

It's an English league, let it stay that way.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I dont see why Celtic and Rangers even begin to compare themselves to Man U, Arsenal or Chelsea. In my very humble opinion, if the old firm were to get into the premiership, they would be happy with a 6th or 7th place finish. Celtic and Rangers in the premiership will add nothing to the competition, and would annualy embarass English football in the Champions League.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.