Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by battyboypowell)
    choose one
    Play or watch? Play = soccer, hockey and basketball. Hmm, lots to chose from! Won't mention the alternative ones then!

Watch = well it changes all the time! Atm Union in rugby, but the BF is keenly trying to get me into League :rolleyes: Prolly so he can watch it

Well I cheerlead for a certain Legue team I won't mention on here, but we have a general no-contact rule where we aren't supposed to become tooo friendly with the players, thus league never really concerned me all that much ironically, but it's okay I guess. I think b/c us Aussies do better in Union I'm more keen on watching it! :p:

I like watching Aussie women's basketball and sometimes international soccer too, and had a thing for alternative sports a while back, but have been too busy too pay attention right now coz of uni

I would like to ask what ppl think the funniest sport is! Mines 'Extreme Ironing' - who remembers that?? Lol.

DB_xox

ReputationRep:
    Table tennis, of course.

ReputationRep:
    Skiing!

ReputationRep:
    ffs.....there are some crazy people on this forum.........
    definitely football!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    bloody squash n that omg....

my first football then after that i have.....
    rugby tennis badminton cricket (all as good as one another)

ReputationRep:
    you make good points, ive always thought williams is too small, and moody is a really brave player, the amount of times he gets the ball back from the restart!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Thompson showed 'insight' by being on the wing, I think he highlighted the problem of the 'Total Rugby' tactic that most certainly will not work against the All Blacks. Too many times against Argentina I saw backs hitting rucks and not moving them and forwards like Thompson on the wing. This leads to ball getting turned over in the ruck (happened with Argentina so just think what McCaw will do) and then after the turnover props have to try and defend 1 on 1 with the opposite winger, and invariably get beaten. Total rugby is a wonderful theory but it simply cannot work unless you have backs who are 18stone and forwards who can run 100m in 11seconds. You need the big forwards to hit the rucks and release quick ball to set the quality backs free to do what they do best. Let everybody focus on doing their specific job best, not everyone's job substandard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mirwelsh87)
    I don't think Thompson showed 'insight' by being on the wing, I think he highlighted the problem of the 'Total Rugby' tactic that most certainly will not work against the All Blacks. Too many times against Argentina I saw backs hitting rucks and not moving them and forwards like Thompson on the wing. This leads to ball getting turned over in the ruck (happened with Argentina so just think what McCaw will do) and then after the turnover props have to try and defend 1 on 1 with the opposite winger, and invariably get beaten. Total rugby is a wonderful theory but it simply cannot work unless you have backs who are 18stone and forwards who can run 100m in 11seconds. You need the big forwards to hit the rucks and release quick ball to set the quality backs free to do what they do best. Let everybody focus on doing their specific job best, not everyone's job substandard.
    I agree with you; I think it is fine for loose forwards to intermingle with the backs and attack through midfield or down the wing, but the tight five have to be around the tackle area, and hitting the rucks.

ReputationRep:
    without a doubt steven gerrard is not only the best out of the 2 but one of the best, if not the best midfielder in the world at the moment.

firstly, at 24/25 he is captain of european chamions - liverpool and has won every club trophy aside the premiership
    secondly, the amount of international experience he has had in compairson to lampard is phenomenal despite being younger!!
    his drive and determination to win make him a great player. over his time in the premiership he has been better than lampard no question

england's future captain along with rio and terry

ReputationRep:
    Steven Gerrard is a more naturally talented player but on recent form (the last two seasons) i would take Lampard.

ReputationRep:
    Different types of player..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    Different types of player..
    But playing similiar roles. Both serve their teams as box to box midfielders so its a fair comparison imo.

ReputationRep:
    I think Gerrard plays abit more back and often is more CDM rather than CAM like Lampard.

ReputationRep:
    I think Gerrard plays abit more back and often is more CDM rather than CAM like Lampard.
    I used to think of him as a defensive midfielder as well although he rarely seems to be thought of as such in the media etc. I think its more a case of Lampard simply being more prolific and thus more easily noticable as an attacking midfielder.

ReputationRep:
    i've seen at least 2 people comment on Ferdinand/Terry for captaincy. I'd agree that Terry would make an excellent captain but Rio? wtf! he probably can't even tie his own shoelaces and forgets about an important drug test. he's so dumb he overtook a police car at over 100 mph recently - i don't even think he should be an England regular with all the other defensive competition.

Oh and Gerrard is better. I think an important characteristic for top players is to be able to perform in the big games - Stevie almost always delivers cos he has to for Liverpool. Lampard seems a bit more consistent but Gerrard at his best is better than Lampard and his potential is also higher.

ReputationRep:
    I still cant see how the 2 players can be compared. E.g. if Gerrard and Lampard swap roles at the moment, both players would probs do crap. If gerrard was playing where lampard is playing, Gerrard would have no space to run forward and do what he does best (e.g. his famous surging forward runs/ long passes). How often have you seen Lampard defending at the back? Not very often, and Gerrard is often there. But that's not because Gerrard is better, that's because Makelele does alot of the stuff. ...etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackmarket Boy)
    i've seen at least 2 people comment on Ferdinand/Terry for captaincy. I'd agree that Terry would make an excellent captain but Rio? wtf! he probably can't even tie his own shoelaces and forgets about an important drug test. he's so dumb he overtook a police car at over 100 mph recently - i don't even think he should be an England regular with all the other defensive competition.

Oh and Gerrard is better. I think an important characteristic for top players is to be able to perform in the big games - Stevie almost always delivers cos he has to for Liverpool. Lampard seems a bit more consistent but Gerrard at his best is better than Lampard and his potential is also higher.
    Rio wtf is right - i can think of very few players less suited to captaincy. Realistic contenders are players such as Carragher (if he can break into the first 11),Terry, Gerrard and perhaps Lampard who are all players capable of leading by example. Ive never been in favour of Beckhams captaincy as the man simply is not a leader nor has he ever really been capable of leading by example - people repeatedly refer to his performance against Greece which, free kick aside, basically consisted of a lot of running about doing very little.

ReputationRep:
    Steven Gerrard, is a wänker, is a wänker, woah woah!

*runs off*

ReputationRep:
    I still cant see how the 2 players can be compared. E.g. if Gerrard and Lampard swap roles at the moment, both players would probs do crap. If gerrard was playing where lampard is playing, Gerrard would have no space to run forward and do what he does best (e.g. his famous surging forward runs/ long passes). How often have you seen Lampard defending at the back? Not very often, and Gerrard is often there. But that's not because Gerrard is better, that's because Makelele does alot of the stuff. ...etc
    In the England side, if you had to choose between the two (due to injuries and Sven changing formation or whatever), who would you pick. i know its v hypothetical but in the end, who would you pick if it came to it?

ReputationRep:
    Rugby should be played without numbers on your backs....

Need I say anymore?

ReputationRep:
    Although I like Lampard more, I'd have to say that Gerrard has been playing excellent football for alot longer and is also slighlty younger (which leads me to believe that he has more natural ability than Lampard therefore better).
    I think Rio would be good for captaincy, I think given the chance he will definetely lead by example. (plus i like the fact he has some crazy goal celebrations lined up lol)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.