Archive SPTM/0003/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wilko_777)
The old firm in the English premiership is definately a no no. They would never be able to compete with any of the big teams.

It's an English league, let it stay that way.
I'm sure Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham would agree.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by HTale)
To be honest, I dont see why Celtic and Rangers even begin to compare themselves to Man U, Arsenal or Chelsea. In my very humble opinion, if the old firm were to get into the premiership, they would be happy with a 6th or 7th place finish. Celtic and Rangers in the premiership will add nothing to the competition, and would annualy embarass English football in the Champions League.
To be honest they wouldn't get into the champions league until they had a good enough team to compete at a decent level in the competion.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Parisian Scot)
Of course not, but to deny that there is a serious problem of bigotry between the two clubs is plain fantasy. Personally, i think as the clubs only have 4-6 competitive domestic fixtures a season (those against each other), the fans become obsessed by the rivalry which often spills over into violence. However, if they were to move to the EPL, both would face high quality competition every week which would perhaps dilute the strength of hatred between the two clubs. Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a bit of 'healthy banter' :p: but sectarian attacks and gestures have no place in civilised society.
im not denying it.

i believe its an integral part of the proceedings. an old firm without the hatred is not an old firm.
james101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Does anyone know what site sells the cheapest england shirt? I dont want to go to any shops.

Thanks
Reloaded
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i'm sure they can compete in the EPL. it would generate more revenue and more big-name players would be attracted to them. but it is difficult to see how they can be integrated into the EPL. they may have to start in division 1 but that may ruin the clubs completely if they fail to win promotion. otherwise we would need 5 EPL relegations in order to accomodate them into the EPL.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Reloader)
i'm sure they can compete in the EPL. it would generate more revenue and more big-name players would be attracted to them. but it is difficult to see how they can be integrated into the EPL. they may have to start in division 1 but that may ruin the clubs completely if they fail to win promotion. otherwise we would need 5 EPL relegations in order to accomodate them into the EPL.
This is the crux of the problem. You can't just relegate clubs arbitarily in this day an age - it could be a legal nightmare. Unless they expand the league for one season and have no promotions (which would be highly unpopular with the top clubs) then I can't see it happening.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
and then there'd only be 2 old firm games a year which sucks.
peperharow
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
we've launched a £4 million bid for Luis Boa Morte as competition for Andy Reid on the left. also we want Edgar Davids from Inter.

discuss that!
Vishpatel
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
try kitbag..
Parisian Scot
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by technik)
and then there'd only be 2 old firm games a year which sucks.
Actually I think it would improve the rivalry because chances are bothclubs could be fighting to avoid relegation and thus will play even more for the 3 points. A lot of Old Firm matches in the SPL are stale because both teams are terrified of losing
Parisian Scot
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by *Sub)
its a fair point... but I think it will do more harm than good to the SPL, these two teams draw crowds and provide a financial backbone which is important for the league. I dont think they would be particularly succesful and would upper/mid table it ( bolton or villa - ish) plus I dont know how it would work, it would mean 5 teams would be relegated from the EPL and i would just muck up the whole league system to the irritation of a lot of league and non league teams.
The consequences of an Old Firm move on the SPL are difficult to predict. It is undoubtedly true that Rangers and Celtic games are well attended (at aberdeen 17,000 compared to 12,000 on average). However, as there is little difference in quality amongst the other 10 teams, all would have a realistic chance of winning the league if the weegies cleared off! Potentially, it could make for one of the most competitive leagues in Europe, if not of the highest quality and im sure that attendances would increase as a result.
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by fernando)
the games on eurosport now, so will be the other milan-chelsea game
or you could get chelseatv and watch it live
james101
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Vishpatel)
try kitbag..
atleast i got a reply lol, do you think if i order today i will get it before thursday midday?
IZZY!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hello.Is any1 going to watch it?WHo do you think will win?Tiger Woods again?
Geordie_in_HK
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I want to get into the Caterham Academy racing series but I need more racing experience before I do. Has anyone been to the Silverstone Racing Academy or anything similar where they train you??

I go karting alot and race motorcross, but apart from a few trips to the 'ring my racing experience isn't that great....
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Thought you were stopping the betting?
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
With another title under his belt, Nadal has now moved up to 2nd in the World Rankings! =')
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Rafael 'AARRRGGGGHH - GRASS!' Nadal?
fernando
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ChelseaBabe)
or you could get chelseatv and watch it live
but i have ntl

and ntl <3 man u, celtic and rangers
fernando
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by peperharow)
also we want Edgar Davids from Inter.

discuss that!
there's a reason why he's free - and its that huge wage of his
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (269)
38.48%
No - but I will (48)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.3%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (331)
47.35%

Watched Threads