Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    when's the next test? is it on channel 4 by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    Next thursday and yup, Channel 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    BTW: Woking. Not bad stadium and some good players. I know it might be a little old now, but is Robbie Hollingdale still there or has he done a runner? He was an exceptional player. Isn't it the Kingsdown stadium??? in goldsworth park
    It isnt a bad stadium, can fit quite a few people in there and atmosphere is good

Hollingdale probably has done a runner - not on the squad lists

close with the name - its kingsfield stadium

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    lol. u r patriotic person, but i dont rly think there is any chance of england winning. aussies are much better. they got 5 wickets in less than an hour, whereas for england it took ages.lol.
    i'm gonna laugh if england do manage to win
    the thing england have to do is perform well in all session, not one. i was shocked on the first day when 17 wickets fell, but i think both teams were in ODI mode

do you warne will get 600 wickets? hope not!

ReputationRep:
    You know, it's not as hard to drive a racing car properly as I'd expected it to be.

I was at hillclimb school yesterday. (60 second course of 10ft wide tarmac winding up a hill - 3 really tough corners, 100mph top speed, and trees & hedges lining the road )

There was a good session of schooling beforehand and a walk up the hill to see every inch up close, then into the cars for a couple of convoy runs before the individual ones.

It was all a bit foreign at first, but you get a feel for the car (Westfield brought me one), start to learn how to take the corners, and it all seems to come together.

It reminds me a lot of learning to drive a road car. At first there's so much to do and remember that you can't possible do it all, it takes more concentration than you have and you cannot believe how they make it look so easy. But after a while you do learn, things start to become automatic, and you find it easier and easier to do it well.

After a few practise runs (and taking off my shoes - pedals are rather close together and I was pressing them all at once ) you get the confidence to chuck it around a bit... although still being aware of the hedge and the fact that it's someone else's car!

I started attacking the corners and found that I'm not bad at balancing the car and controlling it, especially on the exits (It's RWD so it can get lively). The runs really weren't bad after a morning of practice.

It seems rather odd that most weekends I see some experienced racing drivers taking the wrong lines, not balancing the car and generally being slow and crap. After watching the slowest of them I sort of accepted that they're still a lot better than me and it's tough to be competent. But it seems anyone can do it, even with just a little bit of practice.

I'm not saying I could hop into a car now and be competitive. But if you get a couple of test sessions to familiarise yourself with the circuit and car I reckon anyone with a clue could be a half decent racing driver... so get in something and give it a go!

I'm sure this whole theory will be blown out of the water when I do the Formula BMW scholarship in Valencia next week, but for now, it seems to make sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    Rafael 'AARRRGGGGHH - GRASS!' Nadal?
    A couple of years ago he was the youngest player since Becker to reach the 3rd round at Wimbeldon. Jus' needs a bit more time on grass, he will definetly improve. Clay is the most skillful surface to play on imo anyway.

(Original post by Ronaldinho_88)
    Serious? OMG, he is only 19 years old, unbelievable. Do you have a site with the world rankings of tennis?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tenn...en/default.stm

Agassi is such a legend, to be consistantly that high in the rankings is amazing. =')

(Original post by Economist)
    To be fair he has played 6 more tournaments than Hewitt over the last year. He will pull away from him however considering he will do better towards the end of this year than he did at the same stage last year.
    Ah seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_watson87)
    With another title under his belt, Nadal has now moved up to 2nd in the World Rankings! =')
    omg.how come?did i miss something?did he beat roddick then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    Nah he didn't beat Roddick, he jus won some tournament in Stuttgart. Won 8 tournaments this year, which only Federer matches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    Nope he just won another clay court tournament. I dont want to knock him but he is hugely favoured in the rankings considering the number of clay court events. This is also shown by Gaston Gaudio who has a high ranking but is distinctly average on hard and grass courts.

ReputationRep:
    Nah he didn't beat Roddick, he jus won some tournament in Stuttgart. Won 8 tournaments this year, which only Federer matches.
    All on clay though. If you had more hard and grass tournaments instead of clay Hewitt and Roddick would be above him.

ReputationRep:
    All on clay though. If you had more hard and grass tournaments instead of clay Hewitt and Roddick would be above him.
    Yea more than likely. Tho with the extra practice on those surfaces he would have improved... as he lacks much experience.

The bookies do have him as joint second favourite with Roddick for the US Open.

Nope he just won another clay court tournament. I dont want to knock him but he is hugely favoured in the rankings considering the number of clay court events. This is also shown by Gaston Gaudio who has a high ranking but is distinctly average on hard and grass courts.
    Gaudio is the biggest joke in the top 20 rankings, aint even that good on clay imo either.

Do you know how many clay tournaments there are compared to other ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darth_vader05)
    i'm gonna laugh if england do manage to win
    the thing england have to do is perform well in all session, not one. i was shocked on the first day when 17 wickets fell, but i think both teams were in ODI mode

do you warne will get 600 wickets? hope not!
    I'm pretty sure he will...whats he on now - 589 or something? It would be amazing if he didn't ofcourse...maybe some high-scoring declarations are in order for england in the next couple of tests to prevent it!
    then again...the way McGrath is bowling it looks like he's gonna be the top pace bowler by the end of the series...517 isn't it he needs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reloader)
    this issue depends on whether they will be allowed to compete in the premiership immediately, or whether they would have to start in a lower league. if so, which league? because i doubt that they would settle for conference etc somehow. i dont think they would want to travel all the way to dagenham, gravesend etc for a league game in front of a few hundred people
    Anyway you look at it there are going to be administrative difficulties. However, from Sky's point of view, Celtic and Rangers have big $ signs sitting over their heads and in football, money talks. I wonder if the clubs actually have the power to oppose a potential move?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parisian Scot)
    Actually I think it would improve the rivalry because chances are bothclubs could be fighting to avoid relegation and thus will play even more for the 3 points. A lot of Old Firm matches in the SPL are stale because both teams are terrified of losing
    avoid relegation...

lol...what are you? some sort of fool?

ReputationRep:
    lol

EIGHT PLAYERS FOR TWO POSITIONS?
    Edgar Davids, signed 2005
    Sean Davis, signed 2004
    Pedro Mendes, signed 2004
    Michael Carrick, signed 2004
    Michael Brown, signed 2004
    Aaron Lennon, signed 2005
    Tom Huddlestone, signed 2005
    Teemu Tainio, signed 2005

its the same up front as well

jol is a muppet, mourinho is only going for 2 world class players for each position, jol 4 distinctly average players for each position

ReputationRep:
    Rangers and Celtic are not among the richest clubs in the world
    Depends what you consider among in being within the top x rich teams etc. I'd say about top 10 so they wouldn't qualify. Celtic are 13th richest, Rangers are 19th. Here's a source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4269991.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Depends what you consider among in being within the top x rich teams etc. I'd say about top 10 so they wouldn't qualify. Celtic are 13th richest, Rangers are 19th. Here's a source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4269991.stm
    Wow! Didnt even think they were that high!

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Didnt even think they were that high!
    Fueled by reasons we do not wish to have in England (i.e. religion). I believe Real Madrid have overtaken Manchester United and Chelsea are catching the top two considerably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    avoid relegation...

lol...what are you? some sort of fool?
    Same could be said about Leeds many years ago. Look what happened.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how many clay tournaments there are compared to other ones?
    There is a similar number of hard and clay but the clay tournaments are more spaced out. There are often two hard court tournaments in one week so its obviously impossible to play in both.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.