Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackmarket Boy)
    In the England side, if you had to choose between the two (due to injuries and Sven changing formation or whatever), who would you pick. i know its v hypothetical but in the end, who would you pick if it came to it?
    Depends on the rest of the squad + what position. As I said, Lampard CAM, Gerrard CDM =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackmarket Boy)
    In the England side, if you had to choose between the two (due to injuries and Sven changing formation or whatever), who would you pick. i know its v hypothetical but in the end, who would you pick if it came to it?
    I think Lampard is ahead both in terms of club and international form over the last few seasons.

ReputationRep:
    as far as im concerned gerrard always under performs for england. and he stands out in a mediocre team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamieholmear)
    as far as im concerned gerrard always under performs for england. and he stands out in a mediocre team
    yes that really does explain why chelsea, ac milan, inter milan and various other clubs like *ahem ahem* real madrid have been linked with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sb1986)
    yes that really does explain why chelsea, ac milan, inter milan and various other clubs like *ahem ahem* real madrid have been linked with him.
    No his club form explains that.

ReputationRep:
    I think Gerrard is slighlty better defensively then Lampard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamieholmear)

A mediocre team who won the Champions League, shows how much u know...Gerrard is better tham Lampard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaF)
    I think Gerrard is slighlty better defensively then Lampard.
    Yes, that, as I said before, is because they are different types of player. Lampard can't really always go back and defend when he plays like behind the front 2. + we have makelele. Gerrard plays more back so he can go back and defend. Doesn't show anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    Yes, that, as I said before, is because they are different types of player. Lampard can't really always go back and defend when he plays like behind the front 2. + we have makelele. Gerrard plays more back so he can go back and defend. Doesn't show anything.
    But when played behind the striker Gerrard can attack and go back when needed. Hence he is better.

ReputationRep:
    Who says Lampard can't? We just don't need him to :cool:

ReputationRep:
    lol, I agree. Tough one but im still goin for Stevie G, even if lampard can, SG is better at it and the majority of his goals arent deflections :p:

ReputationRep:
    Good point. Liverpools limited (by comparison) playing resources mean that Gerrard has to perform more than one role - as shown in the CL final which saw him finishing the game as a right back, something that is inconcievable in terms of Lampard and Chelsea. Gerrard has shown himself to be more versatile because he has had to do so whereas Lampard has been quite free to play in his favoured role.

ReputationRep:
    29-29, another comeback...thats what I like to see!

ReputationRep:
    Its neck and neck at the moment!

My vote goes to Steven Gerard - hes a better all round midfielder - can tackle shoot, pass, and can drive a team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vjman645)
    Its neck and neck at the moment!

My vote goes to Steven Gerard - hes a better all round midfielder - can tackle shoot, pass, and can drive a team.
    Safe vj!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sb1986)
    lol, I agree. Tough one but im still goin for Stevie G, even if lampard can, SG is better at it and the majority of his goals arent deflections :p:
    Thats a strange way of choosing a player - youd rather take Stevie Gs goal of the season contender volley over 2+ of Frankies 'deflected' goals? I wasnt aware the aesthetic value of a goal was worth more points .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Thats a strange way of choosing a player - youd rather take Stevie Gs goal of the season contender volley over 2+ of Frankies 'deflected' goals? I wasnt aware the aesthetic value of a goal was worth more points .
    It isnt but seeing as im still bitter towards Lampard for breaking Alonsos leg I added that little comment.

Wow, an old argument. Two great players, but I'd choose Stevie - not just because I'm biased. His game is far more complete for a start, but it's his attitude that wins him over for me. He is everywhere at once, and orchestrates many of our attacking moves. His runs, IMO, are more penetrating than Lampard because he is more powerful. Although they have similar vision, I feel that Gerrard is the more creative - greater passing range etc. I may concede that Lampard may have slightly better technical skills, perhaps a little better with both feet, but that is it.

Whereas Gerrard plays box-to-box, Lampard is fairly static in comparison. With the protection of Makelele, he can afford to sit in the pocket behind a flat 4. In this way, he is taken out of the game fairly easily by a decent holding midfield player. Refer to both CL semi finals, in this instance. Lampard barely touched the ball, because he was nullified by Biscan(!?!?!?), who tracked him down everywhere. If he is left free to roam, he'll happily linger on the edge of the box lining up his trademark shot, or he'll bomb forward into the box if necessary. He's obviously got a good shot, has scored many goals this season, so perhaps I'd just tip him when it comes to a goal threat. Gerrard can also play in this position, and we see how good he is at it with Hamann and Alonso sitting behind him. He's difficult to pick up, and even Gattuso and Pirlo couldn't restrain him. Indeed, the only player I've seen who just about managed to do it, was Makelele.

He's a versatile player, and he's had to play in a number of positions this season because of injuries to the squad one way or another. He's had to played as a striker in a number of games, and has occupied other positions all the way back to RB. I really can't imagine Lampard playing in this role. Granted, with the resources of Chelsea he's never had to, but his range of skills wouldn't allow him to. His defensive abilities really aren't up to par with Stevie, and he can afford to be too indisciplined during a game - what with Tiago and Makelele behind him. In all honesty, it doesn't surprise me how many goals he gets. He sits in his favoured position all game, what with the Chelsea formation and the strengths of the players around him.

Finally, nobody can control a game like Gerrard can. As a captain, he leads by example. He picks up a team, and drags it along with him. You'll have noticed this nearly every game of the 2003-04 season. His strike and presence was a deciding factor for us when reaching the CL final. And our second half revival is totally attributed to him. In spite of what he's done, he's still come out and apologised for the bad season he's had. He think's he's been too hot and cold, and wants to improve. He can improve. Lampard, on the other hand, looks as though he's peaking. He'll soon be reaching the summit of his career. There isn't much more for him to learn. There's certainly more for him to win, but he'll never captain the Chelsea side - or the England side for that matter. Speaking about England, you can argue that he's ben more of a presence for England than Gerrard. But how can he not have been? Gerrard was shoved onto the left side of a midfield for the Euros, whereas Lampard was allowed to play in the centre. Some of the time, he was entrusted with the back end of the diamond. Great job he did... :rolleyes:

To recap:
    Engine: Gerrard > Lampard
    Creativity: Gerrard > Lampard
    Ball winning: Gerrard > Lampard
    Influence: Gerrard > Lampard
    Goal threat: Lampard > Gerrard
    Technique: Lampard > Gerrard

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah most definitely, players like Lewis Moody add a vital edge to an attack. I only commented on it because it was obvious against Argentina that the 'Total Rugby' tactic was being employed. I'm not saying it is a bad tactic, just that against New Zealand I don't think it will work. We have superior forward power to them so why not use that? If McCaw is being thrown about by any of our tight 5 then he isnt going to be able to poach as much ball as if our backs are hitting rucks.

ReputationRep:
    The sad fact is that Roy Keane > everyone else in the league

Until Gerrard learns to control a game like Keane he is a long way off where he can be. Rafa will sort him out though.

Lampard is more like Scholes.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.