Turn on thread page Beta

Archive SPTM/0003/REC/HPOO watch

ReputationRep:
    yep, once a long tima ago at a hotel in scotland there wasnt a lot else to do, although it was quite scary geting on it the first time. I only remember parts, one was walking up steps to get on it because it was huge.

ReputationRep:
    Owning a horse, doesn't require as much money as your making out. I'm not loaded, but can still afford to keep one, and compete two. Although competetions are expensive, about £38 per class, as they are RIHS and HOYS qualifiers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noel)
    Owning a horse, doesn't require as much money as your making out. I'm not loaded, but can still afford to keep one, and compete two. Although competetions are expensive, about £38 per class, as they are RIHS and HOYS qualifiers.
    We're nowhere near loaded - my parents are both teachers at a local comprehensive school. My horse is quite expensive at the moment beucase we're having to buy all of his kit - he didn't come with a single thing - and when you talk about 3 bridles, 2 saddles, 3 rugs etc etc it adds up quickly enough. And that's before I talk my dad into a car to pull the trailer I'm going to talk him into buying!! But you're right, horses aren't only for people who have tonnes of money. In fact, I don't think any of my friends are super rich. They just love horses and want to be involved with them, even if that means occasional sacrifices.

ReputationRep:
    3 bridles, 2 saddles??? Why so many? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ride what exactly????
    Sorry Im in that cheeky mood now, lol.

ReputationRep:
    horses - lets just get that straight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by durhamlad1)
    horses - lets just get that straight
    lol. Shane rides horses He has about 40.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noel)
    3 bridles, 2 saddles??? Why so many? :confused:
    He's on working livery and he hads a set of equipment for the school to ride him in (a softer bit and a different noseband) and then the one I ride and jump in. Healso has a best bridle for showing and stuff. He has a saddle I can leave at the yard for them to use on him and which I exercise him in and a nice saddle for shows and stuff. That's normal. Isn't it....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lillith Grimore)
    He's on working livery and he hads a set of equipment for the school to ride him in (a softer bit and a different noseband) and then the one I ride and jump in. Healso has a best bridle for showing and stuff. He has a saddle I can leave at the yard for them to use on him and which I exercise him in and a nice saddle for shows and stuff. That's normal. Isn't it....?
    Perfectly normal, you don't really want him in a harsh bit in the school, a lot of riders can be heavy handed, and you need something to keep for best if your going to show, then obviously the variety of outdoor and indoor rugs for all seasons. Its not the horse thats expensive its buying all the bits for it that start to add up!!

Where abouts in the Midlands do you show? What sort of things do you go in for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Perfectly normal, you don't really want him in a harsh bit in the school, a lot of riders can be heavy handed, and you need something to keep for best if your going to show, then obviously the variety of outdoor and indoor rugs for all seasons. Its not the horse thats expensive its buying all the bits for it that start to add up!!

Where abouts in the Midlands do you show? What sort of things do you go in for?
    Tell me about it! All the little bits and pieces...we're currently on our fourth or fifth bit and they're about 20 quid each!! I've only actually had my horse for 3 months and although he's 9, he's only ever hunted before, no competitions at all. I'm hoping to take him to some fairly local stuff as well as doing the things the riding club at our yard put on. As a longer term aim, I'd like to do either some novice SJ or WH at Derbyshire or Midlands County this year, if only to get him used to bigger shows. Our club also competes in an inter-club championship at Endon in approximately September-ish time and I'd like to do some stuff there. Dunno yet if he's going to be upto standard for any straight showing classes - he's overheight for a cob though built like one but I'm not sure how he'd fair in hunters.
    Do you compete and stuff? What sort of thing do you do?

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it! All the little bits and pieces...we're currently on our fourth or fifth bit and they're about 20 quid each!! I've only actually had my horse for 3 months and although he's 9, he's only ever hunted before, no competitions at all. I'm hoping to take him to some fairly local stuff as well as doing the things the riding club at our yard put on. As a longer term aim, I'd like to do either some novice SJ or WH at Derbyshire or Midlands County this year, if only to get him used to bigger shows. Our club also competes in an inter-club championship at Endon in approximately September-ish time and I'd like to do some stuff there. Dunno yet if he's going to be upto standard for any straight showing classes - he's overheight for a cob though built like one but I'm not sure how he'd fair in hunters.
    Do you compete and stuff? What sort of thing do you do?
    Sounds like he'd probably do quite well in hunters.

I haven't competed for years, just used to do local riding club stuff in Leics on my friends horse, I had to get a job after GCSE's and could physically find the time to ride (and alot of the people at the stable were getting very *****y with me!!)

I used to do quite a bit of show jumping, but never anything too serious. The place I ride is quite big on show jumping, they have unaffiliated competitions every tuesday, usually quite good coz theres a professional course builder based there, lots of people use it for practice in the winter coz its indoors!!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like he'd probably do quite well in hunters.

I haven't competed for years, just used to do local riding club stuff in Leics on my friends horse, I had to get a job after GCSE's and could physically find the time to ride (and alot of the people at the stable were getting very *****y with me!!)

I used to do quite a bit of show jumping, but never anything too serious. The place I ride is quite big on show jumping, they have unaffiliated competitions every tuesday, usually quite good coz theres a professional course builder based there, lots of people use it for practice in the winter coz its indoors!!
    That's what I'm hoping. I'm also preying he won't decide to play a game of kick the judge. My instructor competes a lot in County Workers (her cob won his class at RIHS several years ago) so our yard is great becuase they focus a lot on jumping but they look really hard at schooling and presentation a lot as well so that the horses can be ridden by judges and stuff too. Some yards near us a really focusing on showjumping and they don't seem to do much flat at all - Jo's new Open WH had been at a jumping yard and seemed bemused when asked to trot a circle - he wanted to canter everywhere and kept offering flying changes.
    We don't have an indoor school In fact, my horse doesn't even have a stable, he lives in a big field with a small pony called Ronnie who bosses him around.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just starting to bring desmond back into work, after my exams, and preparing him for the BSPS winter champs. Lucky you Lilith being able to have people ride your horse when you can't get down. I agree with you lillith, flatwork is key is all areas of equestrian. Abroad, in Belgium and Holland, all young horses have to jump in a snaffle and no martingale to encourage correct manners. They also have to pass flatwork stages before they can upgrade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noel)
    I'm just starting to bring desmond back into work, after my exams, and preparing him for the BSPS winter champs. Lucky you Lilith being able to have people ride your horse when you can't get down. I agree with you lillith, flatwork is key is all areas of equestrian. Abroad, in Belgium and Holland, all young horses have to jump in a snaffle and no martingale to encourage correct manners. They also have to pass flatwork stages before they can upgrade.
    I know, I'm really lucky that I've been there for about 6 years now, it's really popular and everyone wants to come here but they don't have room. technically they didn't have room for Matt either but they love him and they must like me a bit. He doesn't get used much in regular lessons becuase there aren't too many customers who can cope with him but we have students studying for BHS levels from a local agricultural college two or three times a week and they ride him a lot, as do the yard staff who are all really good.

I do think that too many people ignore flatwork as a part of jump schooling. I occasionally have flat lessons with a good instructor called Mary who does 'dressage for jumping' lessons. I need lots of those - I have no control!!

ReputationRep:
    I do think that too many people ignore flatwork as a part of jump schooling. I occasionally have flat lessons with a good instructor called Mary who does 'dressage for jumping' lessons. I need lots of those - I have no control!!
    Such a good idea, I rode one of the working liveries the other week in my lesson, his owner blatantly just jumped him all the time but did no real flat work with him, it was so frustrating, he would be such a nice pony if she did a bit more with him, but he was so green.

ReputationRep:
    hi guys

i have 2 oss, one retired golden oldie (38 yrs) and 1 shiny nu show jumper hu i comete BSJA evry weekend, shes a star.

em

x

ReputationRep:
    I used to do BSJA untill Desmond got measured out of ponies (I had to miss Blue chip, Scope and FOSJ because of it ) so now he does BSPS WHP. What grade is your Sj and what classes do you do?

ReputationRep:
    Such a good idea, I rode one of the working liveries the other week in my lesson, his owner blatantly just jumped him all the time but did no real flat work with him, it was so frustrating, he would be such a nice pony if she did a bit more with him, but he was so green.
    Yeah, something similar happened at our yard - Jo essentially told someone they could start schooling their pony properly (and they were only allowed to jump once a week) or they could go to another yard becuase this poor pony, who was only 5 or so, was getting scared becuase it was being asked to jump bigger and bigger but had no flatwork to back it up and kept messing up approaches and things. Luckily, she's OK now - she won a class at Endon last year for our riding club.

The whole measuring thing is really annoying - it would be brilliant if I could compete Matt in cobs but he's 15.3 and there's no way I'll manage to persuade someone he's 15.1 (even though Jo managed that with Bobby. Oh well) I'll just have to do some workers instead. Currently waiting for this years schedules to come out, cos Jo's going to help me choose some things to enter him for. I'd like to take him to the Novice Workers at Derby County but apparently the course was horrendous last year and hardly anyone got round. I might do some Trailblazers as well, and then I think JO is keen for me to have a go at BN next indoor season

ReputationRep:
    I might do some Trailblazers as well, and then I think JO is keen for me to have a go at BN next indoor season
    BN? I'm feeling really dense and can't figure out initials!!

ReputationRep:
    BN? I'm feeling really dense and can't figure out initials!!
    BN = British Novice.

I'm a horse rider/owner (as you may have guessed from my name) and am starting to really miss my horse this term at Uni. Think I'll probably try and go home next sat eve so I can ride him sunday morning.

If anyone's bored and wants to see my horse go to: www.hoofbeat.tv

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.