Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by kpg)
    The sad fact is that Roy Keane > everyone else in the league

Until Gerrard learns to control a game like Keane he is a long way off where he can be. Rafa will sort him out though.
    Blasphemy! Roy Keane's past it. He's 33 now, and won't be able to play at top level for much more than another year. By his standards, this season's been relatively quiet, and he's not the player he used to be.

(Original post by kpg)
    Lampard is more like Scholes.
    Not really. Scholes is more of a playmaker, who orchestrates the Manchester attack. Whereas Scholes looks to hold the ball and play attackers in, Lampard is generally the final move of the phase.

ReputationRep:
    But kpg has a point - neither Gerrard nor Lampard can control the pace of a game. The best player ever at that imo is Roy Keane, and he's still doing it now. The only other player in the Premiership that can do that is Michael Carrick, but not as well as Keane. Vieira sort of can, but he's not good at increasing the tempo, just slowing it down a bit.

ReputationRep:
    in terms of looks....ste gerrard, in terms of ability....ste gerrard.

ReputationRep:
    steven gerrard - prolly the best player in the world :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    Engine: Gerrard > Lampard
    Hmm i honestly couldnt seperate them in this department. Both give their all ever time
    Creativity: Gerrard > Lampard
    Agreed.
    Ball winning: Gerrard > Lampard
    Agreed.
    Influence: Gerrard > Lampard
    Agreed.
    Goal threat: Lampard > Gerrard
    No competition here really.
    Technique: Lampard > Gerrard
    No way! Gerrard has excellent technique while Lampards has never been his strongest point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mirwelsh87)
    Oh yeah most definitely, players like Lewis Moody add a vital edge to an attack. I only commented on it because it was obvious against Argentina that the 'Total Rugby' tactic was being employed. I'm not saying it is a bad tactic, just that against New Zealand I don't think it will work. We have superior forward power to them so why not use that? If McCaw is being thrown about by any of our tight 5 then he isnt going to be able to poach as much ball as if our backs are hitting rucks.
    With the exception of BOD who hits rucks as hard as any forward-keep an eye out for him doing it in NZ.

(Original post by an Siarach)
    Hmm i honestly couldnt seperate them in this department. Both give their all ever time
    Not really. Gerrard plays box-to-box, and makes far more runs with the ball than Lampard does. I'd say he does off the ball as well.

No competition here really.
    You'd be surprised at the statistics. Gerrard's scored 13 goals this season, to Lampard's 19 - but in 15 less matches. Funnily enough, they've both scored 41 goals each in their careers, even though Lampard has played 130 more competitive games than Gerrard!

No way! Gerrard has excellent technique while Lampards has never been his strongest point.
    Maybe. I couldn't let Gerrard win in every department now could I?

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Gerrard plays box-to-box, and makes far more runs with the ball than Lampard does. I'd say he does off the ball as well.
    Fair enough.
    You'd be surprised at the statistics. Gerrard's scored 13 goals this season, to Lampard's 19 - but in 15 less matches. Funnily enough, they've both scored 41 goals each in their careers, even though Lampard has played 130 more competitive games than Gerrard!
    Those certainly are interseting stats although in fairness to Lampard its only over the last two seasons that he has matured into the player he is.

Those certainly are interseting stats although in fairness to Lampard its only over the last two seasons that he has matured into the player he is.
    He's a late learner then... he's almost 27! :eek: :p:

ReputationRep:
    He's a late learner then... he's almost 27! :eek: :p:
    That he is. I dont think anyone will deny he was a very average player until the revealation of the past two - three seasons. Remember the disbelief of pretty much everyone when Chelsea spent £11 million on him in the first place?

That he is. I dont think anyone will deny he was a very average player until the revealation of the past two - three seasons. Remember the disbelief of pretty much everyone when Chelsea spent £11 million on him in the first place?
    I don't know. I think in those last couple of seasons of West Ham he started to shine... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. I think in those last couple of seasons of West Ham he started to shine... :confused:
    Not really. He was a talented enough player (he made his England debut while a Hammer) but nobody thought of him as being anything more than slightly above average. His status as a world class player is really a very recent thing.

ReputationRep:
    Blasphemy! Roy Keane's past it. He's 33 now, and won't be able to play at top level for much more than another year. By his standards, this season's been relatively quiet, and he's not the player he used to be.

Not really. Scholes is more of a playmaker, who orchestrates the Manchester attack. Whereas Scholes looks to hold the ball and play attackers in, Lampard is generally the final move of the phase.
    He's (madman Keane) has had a quiet season because of his age but his performances have still been top notch. He gave Gerrard a lesson at Anfield and Vieira was no where to be seen when they played them at Highbury. He is a true captain, a warrior on the field. I dont like him but admire him hugely as a footballer and players like Gerrard and Lampard would be happy if they become a fraction of the player Roy Keane is/was (well, they already are but you get my point ). I can barely remember a few games where Gerrard (or Lampard) have dominated games by themselves. SG can be everywhere, right back one moment and upfront the next but he hasn't got the maturity or intellegence of Keane/Vieira/Alonso to dictate the pace of games himself. He can speed them up but not slow them down, which is a critical trait to have in the premiership. Like I said, I dont really like Keane as a person but oh what could have been if Souness had snapped him up instead of Ferguson all those years ago. I think Roy Evans' side of ~1996 would've won the league if it had a player like Keane.

re Scholes, I disagree. His passing, vision and ability to arrive late into the box is extremely similar to Lampard's (or should it be the other way round?). Scholes is a better player but I'd say Lampard is closer to Scholes than he is to Gerrard in terms of the type of player he is.

ReputationRep:
    i think that lamps has improved alot and has vision and all that bs....plus he has good shootin from long range......but when gerrard does get forward he has a rocket on him too
    gerrard lifts his team when their down---------more captain like.....gerrard is a better defensive person
    i thnk both can play for england together really well......
    gerrard stays back but goes forward aswell
    and lamps more the offensive player.......
    overall GERRARD JUS NICKS 1ST PLACE FOR ME

Not really. He was a talented enough player (he made his England debut while a Hammer) but nobody thought of him as being anything more than slightly above average. His status as a world class player is really a very recent thing.
    In which case Ranieri deserves far more credit than he got! Then again, Ranieri did make quite a few intelligent signings for them. Anyway, we're moving off topic!

Gerrard > Lampard.

All better! :p:

(Original post by kpg)
    He's (madman Keane) has had a quiet season because of his age but his performances have still been top notch. He gave Gerrard a lesson at Anfield and Vieira was no where to be seen when they played them at Highbury. He is a true captain, a warrior on the field. I dont like him but admire him hugely as a footballer and players like Gerrard and Lampard would be happy if they become a fraction of the player Roy Keane is/was (well, they already are but you get my point ). I can barely remember a few games where Gerrard (or Lampard) have dominated games by themselves. SG can be everywhere, right back one moment and upfront the next but he hasn't got the maturity or intellegence of Keane/Vieira/Alonso to dictate the pace of games himself. He can speed them up but not slow them down, which is a critical trait to have in the premiership. Like I said, I dont really like Keane as a person but oh what could have been if Souness had snapped him up instead of Ferguson all those years ago. I think Roy Evans' side of ~1996 would've won the league if it had a player like Keane.
    Yeh, I can see what you're getting up now. Good thing we have Alonso in our team as the intelligent/creative foil to Gerrard's energy. I think it's still important for us to have a DM to sit back, protect the back 4, and do Didi's job basically. Gerrard hasn't got the discipline for this, and we can't sacrifice his attacking abilities. At the same time, Alonso isn't built to be a DM. His place is camped just over the half way line, for his passing and vision to orchestrate our attacks. With Didi behind him, he can also bomb forward and make some runs, as we've seen that he has a pretty fierce shot on him as well. Maybe it's Alonso who needs to learn from Keane just as much, or possibly more, than Gerrard?

(Original post by kpg)
    re Scholes, I disagree. His passing, vision and ability to arrive late into the box is extremely similar to Lampard's (or should it be the other way round?). Scholes is a better player but I'd say Lampard is closer to Scholes than he is to Gerrard in terms of the type of player he is.
    I'm still not sure about that. I do think that Gerrard becomes a very similar player to Lampard when he's got license to attack. But I do see your point. Lampard likes to receive the ball and do something with it. Gerrard wants to pick up the ball, and take it with him before distributing/having a crack.

That brings us on to another question: who would you prefer to have in your team?

EDIT: o0o, Gerrard's in the lead!

ReputationRep:
    In which case Ranieri deserves far more credit than he got! Then again, Ranieri did make quite a few intelligent signings for them.
    He signed: Makalele, Cech, Robben, Duff, Hasselbaink, Gudjohnsen...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    U think he'll be back any time soon?

Speaking of chelsea and liverpool, lamps and SG, check out the chelsea liverpool story on http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Vialli signed the last two :p: .

ReputationRep:
    Vialli signed the last two :p: .
    Ooops. Nevermind. Ranieri has a better knack at signing great players than Mourinho from what I've noticed at Chelsea. Mind you, Chris Sutton was a right flop.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.