Archive SPTM/0003/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well done, unfortunately when you come up against crews that can row fitness counts.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i'm not a rower (she usuallly says as a disclaimer before proceeding to talk boatie! ) & prefer the concepts in our gym on the oh-so-motivational 'calorie' setting for me...

but anyway, i think our First 8 get times ~ 6.15 - 6.45 for a 2k as i remember. in case you guys are interested in comparisons.

where did you row Gexko? it's fairly accepted most schoolboy boats are better than oxford college rowers..put them against the blue boats though? in fact our boat incorporates racing the 2nds then the 1sts of the school we share water with as part of the final bumps racing preparations!
Ollie87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I can swim, but I'm really not very good at it. I go swimming in my local river quite a bit, but I'm not into competitive stuff - I prefer mucking about in the water.
Ollie87
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I used to be able to do it in under 13 secs.
Gexko
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Well done, unfortunately when you come up against crews that can row fitness counts.
i wasnt saying we were unfit i was saying we were tiny :rolleyes:

we could do 6:15 for 2k on the water.

put down 6:45 at henley last year.
Gexko
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
i'm not a rower (she usuallly says as a disclaimer before proceeding to talk boatie! ) & prefer the concepts in our gym on the oh-so-motivational 'calorie' setting for me...

but anyway, i think our First 8 get times ~ 6.15 - 6.45 for a 2k as i remember. in case you guys are interested in comparisons.

where did you row Gexko? it's fairly accepted most schoolboy boats are better than oxford college rowers..put them against the blue boats though? in fact our boat incorporates racing the 2nds then the 1sts of the school we share water with as part of the final bumps racing preparations!
i rowed at winchester college, which is generally accepted to have the worst stretch of water in the country for rowing on get surprisingly good results though.

yeah, decent school boy boats ought to beat college eights everytime. i assume you're talking about radley if you share the water with them? i expect their seconds could murder most college 1st 8s

we beat a christ church 1st 8 at bedford regatta in 2 finals 2 years ago which had that blokey from the blue boat in who had a brother in the cambridge boat that year too. and there were a couple of isis guys there too :p:

as much as id love to say we would get close to the blue boat full of international rowers.... i dont think so
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've rowed for less than a year and gone from 7:20 to 7:02 (that done over just half a year). I only weigh 66kg, which I think leaves my time as pretty good, and if I get off my lazy arse and actually do some training over the summer, I would hope I could beat 7 mins come trialling in september!

And just to confirm, yes beating oxbridge colleges is no achievement, we all suck cos most of us have little rowing experience!
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
slight digression from erg scores - apologies!

ah, you might be an acquaintance of my college husband then, Gexko!

yeah, decent school boy boats ought to beat college eights everytime. i assume you're talking about radley if you share the water with them? i expect their seconds could murder most college 1st 8s
indeed - though i think we beat their 1st boat this year, which did bode well for bumps racing results! that said, our boat has been gently accused of being 'Radley Old Boys'.

we beat a christ church 1st 8 at bedford regatta in 2 finals 2 years ago which had that blokey from the blue boat in who had a brother in the cambridge boat that year too. and there were a couple of isis guys there too :p:

as much as id love to say we would get close to the blue boat full of international rowers.... i dont think so
indeed, previous blue boats, perhaps. but this year really did seem especially insane! with triple blues being pushed down to isis to make way for the olympians. :eek:

on day i shall go to a regatta to actually watch a crew i know, rather than merely to drink pimms & picnic..
Gexko
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
ah, you might be an acquaintance of my college husband then, Gexho!
Its gexko :p:

Which college you at then? Oriel?
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
edited the name, please accept my humble apologies.

& no, i most certainly am not! a near offensive suggestion.. (that might give you a clue as to where i am if you do know much about our rowing though. :p: )
Gexko
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
edited the name, please accept my humble apologies.

& no, i most certainly am not! a near offensive suggestion.. (that might give you a clue as to where i am if you do know much about our rowing though. :p: )
magdalen...

is that how you spell it?

who's ur husband. come on tell me! i wanna know now!

PM me if you dont want to post it here
Gexko
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
have consulted my oriel contact and he says probably pembroke :eek: or magdalen,exeter or CC. hmmmmmmm....
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oh and I'll also say it'll only be rowers replying to this thread as no "normal" person is prepared to put themselves through the pain of a 2k...surely?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I once overheard some woman at the gym say to her friend (as they were plugging away on the ergs with horrendous technique that made my back muscles cry just to watch) "I used to be able to do 2000m in under 10 minutes, that was really good."

I've not actually ever done a proper 2k test - I always managed to wiggle out of them. I doubt it'd be very good though.
Gexko
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oh and I'll also say it'll only be rowers replying to this thread as no "normal" person is prepared to put themselves through the pain of a 2k...surely?
lol, but 2ks are nice if you start doing 3ks for training like we did last year.

3k at 2k pace. repeat until either you die or its the end of term. wooooo

(obviously we did a hell of a lot of other stuff but that was a highlight....)
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
if you can do 3k at 2k pace then you aren't doing your 2ks hard enough..
Gexko
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
if you can do 3k at 2k pace then you aren't doing your 2ks hard enough..
no the point is that you kill yourself on the 3k. you dont actually do it at 2k pace as thats impossible, but you try to, in order to make yourself mentally tougher for the 2ks as they seem less hard because you are used to the longer distance with the same intensity.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It doesn't work though, its a different kind of pain you experience for longer distances, 2ks are unique because of the massive build up of lactic acid, if you do something over 3k, its still hard, but theres less lactic acid.

I find the best thing to replicated the pain you experience during a 2k is 8x500m @ 2k pace with 1.5 minutes rest, after about the 5th one you'll be close to tears.
Gexko
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeah 8x500s are great

when we went on training camp at easter in 2002 we did them (we have a film of them in fact) and i remember the first 2 were ok, the 3rd was hard, 4th was evil, 5th i wished i was dead, 6th was some sort of out of body experience, 7th i realised there was light at the end of the tunnel, 8th was the oncoming train...
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I've not actually ever done a proper 2k test - I always managed to wiggle out of them. I doubt it'd be very good though.
During my third year of rowing, I backed out of a 2k midway. I'd barely slept and was feeling like **** and thought that it wouldn't change much: for the rest of the season, I was put in the crappiest boats with the worst crews and didn't get anywhere considering that the 2 previous years I'd been to the national championships.

For a lot of coaches, it's the ergo test that determines which boat you'll row in. It's a bit stupid but it's the simplest way for them.

My 7'20 hasn't been improved over 8 years. I was 15 when I got 7'20... I've just been an extremely lazy *******. Luckily, with my 6 years experience, I can more than compensate...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (442)
37.81%
No - but I will (88)
7.53%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise