Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody here go rowing?

any sort of rowing at all, i go gig rowing and its killing my hands but its great fun

ReputationRep:
    used too...put me in hospital with a cerebral aneurism, so from personal experience would advise against it....
    dont worry about the hands, once they're all blistered up and covered in callouses you wont even feel it.

ReputationRep:
    League. its by far the better game and i personally feel its much less complicated and more free flowing with less breaks 4 penalties.

ReputationRep:
    Why union? More my style.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell is cerebral aneurism?

I rowed last year, dunno if I will this year yet.

ReputationRep:
    its where the muscular wall of a blood vessel fails, causing it to bubble (sort of similar to a hernia i believe) and this happened in my brain.

ReputationRep:
    Why did rowing cause that?

ReputationRep:
    because with rowing the nature of it alters your breathing patterns resulting in you not collecting and distributing sufficient blood around your body, if your lungs are not "tuned in" correctly, which in my case resulted in a massive build up of blood pressure.
    This actually happened during a race, and it literally felt like the worlds worst migrane any time i tried to do any remote exercise after that...

ReputationRep:
    Union is far better to watch and play, the ball doesn't have to be turned over after a certain number of tackles so it flows more easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goku999)
    I like swimming but i have really bad eyesight which stopped me from continuing.
    I jus cant see in my goggles.
    You can get like proper lenses to go in goggles from the optician. Their expensice though. But still thats no excuse to give up!

ReputationRep:
    Nasty, not only did you go through the normal trauma of a 2k you also had some sort of brain explosion. Unlucky, hope that doesn't happen to me.

ReputationRep:
    which is the best stroke to exercise the tops of your legs, do you think? is it font crawl or breast stroke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goku999)
    I like swimming but i have really bad eyesight which stopped me from continuing.
    I jus cant see in my goggles.
    my eyesight is terrible: in fact i bet its even worse than urs (-5.5 on each eye).

i just use normal contact lenses (daily though) and use goggles and its fine. it really is something to try - so much better than being blind

i even can somtimes open my eyes a bit in the pool/sea (but then i get red eyes )

but yeah, its not a disability as i discovered

ReputationRep:
    I loooove swimming! My favourite activity :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    because with rowing the nature of it alters your breathing patterns resulting in you not collecting and distributing sufficient blood around your body, if your lungs are not "tuned in" correctly, which in my case resulted in a massive build up of blood pressure.
    This actually happened during a race, and it literally felt like the worlds worst migrane any time i tried to do any remote exercise after that...
    surely this type of thing only happens if you do not train sufficiently and so over-exert yourself way beyond what your body was expecting!?

ReputationRep:
    is the 3rd test on channel 4 at all? are all the tests on ch4?

ReputationRep:
    no - as i stated it is because the mechanism of a rowing stroke disrupts your breathing mechanisms, therefore you dont have to be massively exerting yourself to do it.
    Just make sure when you train you get your breathing right (think about it - when you take a stroke it is impossible to breathe as your chest muscles tensen and as a result you dont undertake a complete breath on the slide).

ReputationRep:
    Theres been a few studies on rowing and breathing and its perfectly possible to breath in whilst taking a stroke, infact during a maximal effort 2k this often happens..

ReputationRep:
    i want to start at uni

ReputationRep:
    yep, all of them

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.