Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    do you think that helsinki was a good place for the championship? the stadium/arena is good but the weather isn't. it is raining and the wind is very strong. at least it has been yeasterday and this morning.
    I'm sure they said it isn't usually like that at this time of year though, so they wouldn't have known the weather was going to be so bad.

(Original post by Lil Lee Lee)
    I just got back this afternoon from the first few days there and the atmosphere in the stadium is amazing!
    *Envious*

ReputationRep:
    Both have their merits, League is brilliantly fast and exciting, I remember watching Jonathon Davies playing for Wales years ago in Swansea - the atmosphere at a League game can often surpass that of a Footie match. I do prefer Union though, it's the better game in terms of tactical play - you can spot a really good flyhalf when they master this - and in terms of simple enjoyment, Union is the more fun to watch and play for me at least.

If we want the best of both worlds, someone has already mentioned it but Rugby 7s, now there is perhaps the most evolved form of rugby, quick and skillful as with League, but tactical and flowing as with Union. The World 7s series is great, shame they got rid of the Cardiff one it was great fun to watch!

ReputationRep:
    I have a questin concerning the records, if you break a record (personal or world) during a practise is that then taken under consideration? or does it have to have happen during a competition?
    All the records are those performed in competition

do you think that helsinki was a good place for the championship? the stadium/arena is good but the weather isn't. it is raining and the wind is very strong. at least it has been yeasterday and this morning.
    Well they might think again before hosting it in North Europe for a while

ReputationRep:
    Ohyes! it looks like an oxford whitewash (do you play for OCRFC by the way?)
    Sevens isa fantastic spectacle...also, you go in, watch a day of rugby, and its so fast and furious, with more appropriately timed pint breaks
    It is a shame about the cardiff one, yea...tis just down the road from me too....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lillith Grimore)
    Jo came 2nd in one of her classes out of 71 people. WOW!!! As an aside, someone from the yard went to Pony Club Camp on Sunday. On Tuesday morning, Jo (her mum) got a phone call asking for her to come and pick the beastie up as he had broken through one of the stable doors and then kept the whole camp awake by kicking all night!! Ooopsie... at least he's still allowed to actually go, they just have to pick him up every evening and take him down the enxt morning. Jo's philosophical take on the situation: "See Lilly, you're not the only one with a weird horse"
    WOW 2nd is great, what class did she do? Whats her second name and whats her horses name? Sorry to be nosey!

Also what branch of the pony club was the camp? Ive got a feeling it could be the one I'm a member of, however I've only ever went to 3 PC shows! Is it Burton Cheshire Forest? :rolleyes:

I'VE QUALIFIED FOR HOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH, YEAH, YEAH! I went to the three counties show ground last Wednesday for NPS champs and qualified! Sooooooooooooooo happy, can't wait! Nevertheless I got the schedule thorugh uyesterday for HOYS and the class is £75 to enter and the stable £56 for a night! Talk about rip-off. Owell it'll be worth it.

(Original post by durhamlad1)
    but your just sitting on a horse, how can that be physically demanding think about the poor horse :tsr:
    What a naive, narrow minded opinion. Let me guess, your one of these people who think that riding a horse involves sitting on its back and bobbing around? Honestly riding is very hard work, if done correctly. Arm muscles are used when working the horse onto the bit, leg muscles to engage the quaters and stomach muscles due to correct posture.

It is not just the riding, it is the other duties too. Mucking out and generally being out the house and moving around uses up fat stores and energy, thus increasing fitness and stamina. It is mentally testing too and provides many essential skills such as patience, care of animals, friendships, road safety, respect for the countryside etc....

I love it and think it is a great sport, with many sub-divisions to it, so there is something for everyone. Give it a go, you might actually understand then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    surely this type of thing only happens if you do not train sufficiently and so over-exert yourself way beyond what your body was expecting!?
    Did you see the W1 division on the last day of Mays (I assume you would have been marshalling at the time so might have seen the drama)? The LMBC stroke girl passed out halfway down the reach and our 2 girl (one of my best friends) collapsed and stopped breathing at the finish and had to go to Addies.

Cerebral aneurysm doesn't sound good though! Did it rupture or just form?

I'm crap at rowing but I quite enjoy it. Am taking some time off next term though.

ReputationRep:
    It fortunately didn't rupture, no - Just spent a week or so in hospital (about 2 weeks later after i got home - i still went cycling, played rugby, squash.etc. with a thumping headache (as i said - i'm an idiot...)
    It was quite frustrating - because i wasn't bad at rowing either (i do sprint racing on my bike, so have lovely powerful legs...my pride and joy )
    That sounds really bad at the last regatta thingy...we normally just get people concussed from being thumped over the back of the head with blades (normally coxes...)

ReputationRep:
    Me and yo-less were just discussing cricket and thought it would be a good plan to start a cool thread. I know there's already the Ashes thread, but this one is different.
    First topic: Is Stephen Fleming a good captain?

ReputationRep:
    Brett Lee declared Fit. Glen mite be fit too

ReputationRep:
    League is the physically tougher and more demanding of the two. The rules and style of play also mean that the ball is in play for a large % of the match as opposed to Union where it can be as little as 30-45%.

Union is more tactical and technical, it involves a lot of in play kicking. Fans of this game criticise League for the tackle system of surrendering the ball but forget that the amount of kicking in union means that games can develop into a sort of field volleyball. Line-outs and scrums (union) add to the stoppages and mean that games often lack flow.

In summary League is better to watch, Union is probably better to play. You need far more fitness for League and the style of play is more confrontational meaning that you will get hammered more.

As League is played by (predominantly) working class northerners you are unlikely to find much support for it on a message board aimed at people striving for academic acheivment.

I think that Gary Hetherington (chairman of Leeds Rugby and thus a foot in both camps) summed it up quite nicely. - "You watch a League game and have a 70% chance of seeing a good match, in Union you have a 30% chance"

Television viewing figures seem to agree with him as domestic League matches regularly draw significantly larger audiences then their Union counterparts.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you from a basic entertainment that league is better to watch with all the hard running, big tackles.etc., but if your a purist union is still so much better to watch, surveying tactics and thought processes.etc.

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait to see this guy in action over here.

ReputationRep:
    Wow - I didn't mean to cause so much **** to be honest! I just wanted people's opinions!!!

ReputationRep:
    If I was playing League I'd get so frustrated by having to turn the ball over so often!

ReputationRep:
    Rep for anybody who gets them all right

1. Which Australian bowler has played at Lord's three times and won the man of the match award each time? State the years too.

2. Which Bangladeshi player scored a hundred on debut, in a Test that happened to be his country's first?

3. Which English player-turned-umpire took 8 wickets on debut? Who was the opposition?

4. Who was the first Indian bowler to concede 200 runs in a Test innings? Name the opposition too.

5. Which New Zealander was made captain on Test debut?

6. What special record did Pakistan hold at the National Stadium Karachi until 2001?

7. Which exclusive club did Gary Kirsten of South Africa join when he scored 130 at Headingley vs England in 2003?

8. Who was Sri Lanka's first ever centurion ? (details of opposition, location and date required)

9. What did WI do in their 1992-93 tour of Australia that has not been managed since?

10. Taslim Arif of Pakistan was the first wicketkeeper to score a double century. The second was a Zimbabwean. Who was it?

ReputationRep:
    The weather looked absolutely awful today, no wonder the Finnish guy cocked it up, and Felicien, and the British people except Benjamin and Sotherton

ReputationRep:
    i row at school and have done pretty seriously for the last 5 years...my worst injury has probably been breaking a rib. i did it on training camp in Seville in Easter and found out it was basically from over-training! it was so frustrating though and the doctor couldn't speak a word of English so i tried to carry on rowing with it! Eventually i gave in and was stuck on a bike for weeks. It's actually a really common injury in rowing- both my coaches have had broken ribs and one had to give up due to repeated breaks!

ReputationRep:
    nobody will get all of those correct i can guarentee you, i cant even get 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaeda)
    nobody will get all of those correct i can guarentee you, i cant even get 1
    Couple of them are really easy.

Google is your friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    I agree with you from a basic entertainment that league is better to watch with all the hard running, big tackles.etc., but if your a purist union is still so much better to watch, surveying tactics and thought processes.etc.
    That's what I thought. I'm a Legaue fan, and much prefer it to Union, but if you want to watch / play it for the tactical insights (I, personally, don't) then Union is the best game.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.