Turn on thread page Beta

Archive SPTM/0003/REC/HPOO watch

ReputationRep:
    Streaker!

Geoff Boycott cracks me up! :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    Warne is ripping it on day 1!!

Though, Vaughan on the verge of a hundred after a LOOOOOOOOONG time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Warne is ripping it on day 1!!
    He's amazing. Does anyone know, is it true that the first ball he bowled in test cricket was a wicket? Or is that a myth?

ReputationRep:
    It was "the ball of the century" - you know the one that got mike gatting around his legs...actually at old trafford too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    He's amazing. Does anyone know, is it true that the first ball he bowled in test cricket was a wicket? Or is that a myth?
    I know there are a few bowlers who have done that. But I don't think Warne is one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    It was "the ball of the century" - you know the one that got mike gatting around his legs...actually at old trafford too.
    It wasn't the first ball he EVER bowled in test cricket I don't think :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's the one I'm thinking of. It span about a metre behind his legs. Crazy. Just wasn't sure if it was his first ball though..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's the one I'm thinking of. It span about a metre behind his legs. Crazy. Just wasn't sure if it was his first ball though..
    Amazing ball. Thats what I'm thinking too.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, it was his first ball...http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/4141080.stm

ReputationRep:
    Yea, it was his first ball...http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/4141080.stm
    It was appropriate he took the wicket at Old Trafford after he started his Ashes career there in 1993 and dismissed Mike Gatting first-ball with delivery dubbed the "ball of the century".
    Now does that mean it was Warne's first ball, or he got Mike Gatting for a golden duck. Too ambigious.

ReputationRep:
    It is ambiguous. But seeing as the article's about Warne I'd say I was inclined to think it might be about Warne's first ever ball... I wonder if that ball's downloadable somewhere online. Hmm, might have a look!

ReputationRep:
    It is ambiguous. But seeing as the article's about Warne I'd say I was inclined to think it might be about Warne's first ever ball... I wonder if that ball's downloadable somewhere online. Hmm, might have a look!
    Warne's first ever Test was against India in 1992 and his first test wicket was Ravi Shastri. So the ball of the century wasn't his first ever wicket.

See here

ReputationRep:
    Well - it must have been his first in ashes cricket or something then...but still quite an achievement (i believe MG was knotching up quite a score when they brought warney on to bowl...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Warne's first ever Test was against India in 1992 and his first test wicket was Ravi Shastri. So the ball of the century wasn't his first ever wicket.

See here
    Good detective work!

ReputationRep:
    Well - it must have been his first in ashes cricket or something then...but still quite an achievement (i believe MG was knotching up quite a score when they brought warney on to bowl...)
    Yeah, thats it, because in his first test (and in India in general) he has a distinctly ordinary record. And Gatt used to "murder" spinners.

ReputationRep:
    Yes - i remember reading an article goochy wrote on the ball, alanogising it that "gatts treated spinners in the same way he did the lunchtime buffet"
    He's never had so strong a record in the asian countries though, since the development pitches are so bad that pace bowling moves as much as your average spin bowler!

ReputationRep:
    May I draw your attention to:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t137595.html

ReputationRep:
    He's never had so strong a record in the asian countries though, since the development pitches are so bad that pace bowling moves as much as your average spin bowler!
    Apart from the fact the Indians have been excellent players of legspin
    Which is why Danish Kaneria got all the accalodes when he returned from India earlier this year with 19 wickets in 3 matches in his first series in India.

ReputationRep:
    Vaughan gets his century!

Woop woop woop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    Vaughan gets his century!

Woop woop woop
    Lets just hope there isn't a classic English collapse after this. :rolleyes:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.