The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Avi
well i voted gerrard, but i reckon this poll is blatantly biased due to the huge number of liverpool fans in the TSR outnumbering the number of posts on the ultimate football thread :eek:

Not really. I can safely say that Cech is far superior to Dudek? :wink:

And there are probably as many Liverpool fans and Chelsea fans on TSR, it's just we're more proactive/passionate about football.
Reply 441
Raindance
Not really. I can safely say that Cech is far superior to Dudek? :wink:

And there are probably as many Liverpool fans and Chelsea fans on TSR, it's just we're more proactive/passionate about football.

And we have the avatar to show for it! right Sam, Rmyl..and me :wink:
Reply 442
sb1986
And we have the avatar to show for it! right Sam, Rmyl..and me :wink:

I'm abstaining as a matter of principle, I'll have you know! Seriously, I can't tell where your post starts and Sam's begins at times! :eek: :wink:
Reply 443
doubt it...i should do a poll on supporters for liverpool and chelsea and u'll see i'll win....neways...yeah..i reckon drogba is a big flop....i slapped myself TWICE, when i read that he reckons he's just as good as Henry, just lacks the man beating ability.. :p: :p: :p: His size helps in the premierleague but he's been overshadowed this season by gudjohnson who some would have thought to have been far inferior in ability. Kezman. :eek: no comment!
http://www.talksoccer.net/forum i just been running thi site for a year or so, what does everyone think of it. Its got a few members now and going places, hopefully more united fans the better. Also started work on this one http://www.talkmanunited.com for all united fans.
Reply 445
Nice sites! :cool:
Reply 446
Yeah. Looks really good
Reply 447
Raindance
I'm abstaining as a matter of principle, I'll have you know! Seriously, I can't tell where your post starts and Sam's begins at times! :eek: :wink:

:eek: Join us...join us....You know you want to :biggrin:
Reply 448
~Sam~
:eek: Join us...join us....You know you want to :biggrin:

so... tempting... must... fight... urges...

:bawling:
Reply 449
Lampard is better for so many reasons, most of which I can't be arsed to go into, but:

20 goals this year
does his defensive duties
good in the air
score heaps of goals
full range of passing
good leader
scores in big games, 2 v Bayern, v France + Portugal @ Euro 2004 for example

whereas Gerrard is either inspirational or an anonymous waste of a good player who:
is very erratic
can crack under pressure - Euro 2004 v France for example
tries stuff that consistently doesn't come off

Overall, both great players, great to have them in the England midfield, but Super Frank Lampard is the man for me.
Reply 450
cksjohns
Lampard is better for so many reasons, most of which I can't be arsed to go into, but:

20 goals this year
good in the air
score heaps of goals
full range of passing
good leader

whereas Gerrard is either inspirational or an anonymous waste of a good player who:
is very erratic

Overall, both great players, great to have them in the England midfield, but Super Frank Lampard is the man for me.

I don't have time to go into all the reasons why that is a load of crap, but I'll give a brief summary.
Firstly, the reason Lampard has scored more goals this season is because he has played more games! The have scored the same number of goals in their careers, even though Lampard has had way more minutes on the pitch. I dunno what games you watch, but Gerrard's passing is as good as anyone's. And as for him not being a leader - he's captain of one of the (debatedly :wink:)best teams in the world! The amount of times he's pulled us through games, he practically carried us through all of last season. As for scoring in big games, they don't come much bigger than the Champions League final! He got us back into the game against Olympiakos too.
Reply 451
cksjohns

20 goals this year
good in the air
score heaps of goals
full range of passing
good leader

is very erratic

i'll put a question mark on lamp's headering abilities too....gerard is far better in that without a doubt! As for scoring instincts, lampard, yes gerrard can score and crucial goals they normally are, but lampard is just got that predatory instinct to always look for goal before making passes...and this has been as a whole, frank lampard's season as gerrard has had a very hot and cold season (as he acknowledged himself).

Also, lampard must be some freak of nature, his minutes on the pitch is startling, he seems to never get injured, but that isnt gerrards fault. The argument on their abilities is pretty even.
Reply 452
cksjohns

20 goals this year
good in the air
score heaps of goals
full range of passing
good leader

is very erratic

I'll add my two cents to what hasn't already been said.

- It's 19 goals this season
- If by defensive duties you mean joining the other 10 men behind the ball or tracking back to make illegal bone breaking tackles, then yes
- His passing isn't the amazing. He can launch 40 yard diagonals, but his accuracy and imagination aren't on par with Gerrard. Where Gerrard can split open defenses with his passing, Lampard cannot.
- Gerrard rarely cracks under pressure. As for the failed backpass against france, it was one mistake when not on top of his game, largely due to him being played for the first time on the left, despite not really possessing winger attributes not not even being left footed. I'm sure that if Lampard was played completely out of position, he wouldn't have shone. You should also remember that Lampard bombing forward to support Scholes led to the gaps in midfield causing Gerrard to drift infield to have their backs.
- You ever seen Gerrard play? He does go for a bit too much Hollywood at times, and occasionally it doesn't work. But in the vast majority of cases it does. Lampard doesn't even have the creativity or ability to match some of the things Gerrard does. That's part of the reason why Gerrard is so influential in orchestrating our attack, whilst Lampard sets up shop on the edge of the box to wait until something comes his way.

Basically, Lampard lifts the team by scoring goals. Gerrard lifts the team by dragging it along with him.
Reply 453
Gerrard lifts the team by dragging it along with him

I love Stevie G but I'm afraid I think that's tripe. The only time I can remember Gerrard lifting a team's performance a la Keane/Vieira was against Milan last week. Other than that his best performances have come when he does everything himself and parades around the pitch stamping his authority. He's had a very poor season by his standards (not helped with his head being at stamford bridge half the season) and it shows how far the media can be up an english player's arse that he's consistently picked in team of the season awards, ahead of players like Cahill and Makelelelelelelelele. When things dont go our way he goes Hollywood and starts spraying 60 yard passes around, which rarely work. Being a captain is about more than taking things in your own hands, a great captain can lift the performances of his team-mates when they're down - Keane and Vieira are capable of it all the time, Gerrard isn't yet which is why I think he's only at about 60-70% of his potential.

Next year he'll be better though once he's put the idea of moving to the chavs, to bed and can start enjoying his football again without being constantly pestered about his future (which is why, incidentally, he "cracked under pressure" in Euro 2004 with the likes of Terry, Lampard, Cole and ...Sven....in his ear about moving to Chelsea).
Reply 454
kpg
I love Stevie G but I'm afraid I think that's tripe. The only time I can remember Gerrard lifting a team's performance a la Keane/Vieira was against Milan last week. Other than that his best performances have come when he does everything himself and parades around the pitch stamping his authority. He's had a very poor season by his standards (not helped with his head being at stamford bridge half the season) and it shows how far the media can be up an english player's arse that he's consistently picked in team of the season awards, ahead of players like Cahill and Makelelelelelelelele. When things dont go our way he goes Hollywood and starts spraying 60 yard passes around, which rarely work. Being a captain is about more than taking things in your own hands, a great captain can lift the performances of his team-mates when they're down - Keane and Vieira are capable of it all the time, Gerrard isn't yet which is why I think he's only at about 60-70% of his potential.

Next year he'll be better though once he's put the idea of moving to the chavs, to bed and can start enjoying his football again without being constantly pestered about his future (which is why, incidentally, he "cracked under pressure" in Euro 2004 with the likes of Terry, Lampard, Cole and ...Sven....in his ear about moving to Chelsea).

Fair enough? As long as you agree that he's better than Lampard, I'll go with it! :p:
Reply 455
why does it even matter in the first place on who is better? Gerrard helped liverpool to win the UCL and lampard the premierleague. So both r good. The only time u can only truly compare them is if they play in the WC togther against tough competition in their respective positions.
vjman645
Well I reckon all of Mourinhos signings have been failures with prob the exception of Calvarlo(not sure about spelling) but I'd like to see him play without Terry at his side. Its not his strength and most of the good players at Chelsea were signed by Ranieri (Robben, Cech etc.).

Carvalho. Ferriera's been okay I guess. :smile:
Knowing this board they'd prefer someone to Makalele in the holding midfield position. :rolleyes:
Reply 458
Sorry...i think my statement may have been a tad ambiguous in its wording - obviously total rugby is a utopian fantasy, and sitting in the crowds i was spitting nails as i saw john hayes (arguably the slowest man on the tour) defending the wing, although, shane williams wouldn't have been much better.
The insight i claim thompson taking was the initiative to take an unusual route to winning the game, which is exactly the sort of play that is required to win a lions tour, so if this initiative can transferred to a situation around the ruck that could make it pretty exciting. anyway, if dennis hickie had been on his toes he should have been out there waiting - thompson only began to cross once the penalty had been given (although i would have admittedly despaired at the wait as he crossed back had wilko kicked for the corner)
Reply 459
NDGAARONDI
Carvalho. Ferriera's been okay I guess. :smile:

i think ferriera's been better than carvalho this season but only marginally

Latest