The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4700
Yeah!!!! I saw a message on BBC sport though and it got me wondering. It said that would England actually want the Aussies to follow on> Because wouldn't it be hard batting last on that pitch?
but if they then bowled them out for 250/300 again, that would leave a match england would find very impossible to lose!
if they want to go for win they'll want the follow-on because of the time element, especially if it rains tommorrow. if they happy with a draw they won't be too fussed...
Xenon
Yeah!!!! I saw a message on BBC sport though and it got me wondering. It said that would England actually want the Aussies to follow on> Because wouldn't it be hard batting last on that pitch?

true its never easy batting last, especially facing warne on a pitch taking spin, so they probably won't enforce the follow on.
Reply 4704
One of the biggest disappointments was the sprinters and Nathan Douglas. I guess the pressure got to Douglas a bit. I hope he overcomes that because he's young and good and surely a medal hope for thew future. The sprinters could salvage something from the relays. Also, the americans are out of the relay :smile: because of their baton mess-up. I though they were supposed to be working on that.
Also, what on earth happened to Chris Tomlinson? He used to be a good hope!
Reply 4705
El Chueco
if they want to go for win they'll want the follow-on because of the time element, especially if it rains tommorrow. if they happy with a draw they won't be too fussed...

True, but it wouldn't be a disaster to not enforce the follow-on. It would be gutting if the rain ruined our chances of grabbing a win!
Reply 4706
With or without enforcing the follow on England should win this game quite combfortably. If they lead by about 220 and enforce it, how big of a lead with Aus get? 100 at most I'd say with the way things are going and England will knock that off. If they don't enforce it - score another 200-250, post a huge total and bowl them our cheaply (like Aus at Lords).
kpg
With or without enforcing the follow on England should win this game quite combfortably. If they lead by about 220 and enforce it, how big of a lead with Aus get? 100 at most I'd say with the way things are going and England will knock that off. If they don't enforce it - score another 200-250, post a huge total and bowl them our cheaply (like Aus at Lords).

Bit early to right off the Aussies I would say. The way they came back at Edgbaston was amazing, and they have the depth to do it again.
i think they will enforce given the option...even if they posted a massive, quick-fire score the aussies could still close up and play for the draw....
not many of these wickets would have fallen if people weren't playing shots....
YEaEEEaaaAsEAEEaassssss! thats what we needed!
Reply 4710
zaf1986
Bit early to right off the Aussies I would say. The way they came back at Edgbaston was amazing, and they have the depth to do it again.

Yup I suppose. England just look like a machine at the moment though and Australia are visibly shaking.
Hopefully get to enforce the follow on and bowl them out to win by an innings and a few, thanks very much.
... and another one bites the dust....
Tonight Matthew
Hopefully get to enforce the follow on and bowl them out to win by an innings and a few, thanks very much.

:rofl:

It hasn't been done against Aus since 1988, so it would be quite an achievement.
Reply 4714
Lillith Grimore
No it's the Meynell Hunt. I went to camp there once and hated it - half the members are at private shcool and are *frightfully* posh and everythig is run to suit them - I could never get to half the rallies becuase they were scheduled for the private school's holidays, which were very different to ours. It was really off-putting to be asked at breakfast "And when does your school have breakfast in the morning?" and to look up form your cornfales and go "Um...I'm at a state school. We don't really do breakfast..."

Do you get all the Repton lot up your way then? They're a lovely bunch of people :rolleyes:
Reply 4715
so how many runs do you think aussies will get tomorrow?I predict they are going to get around 90 more and finish at 300.
i dunno - i think the end of edgbaston was quite exceptional...hopefully they can crack through the tail enders and enforce the follow on...
i'm still surprised they put dizzy in since lee batted so well last time.
Reply 4717
if aussies get 300 tomorrow, the game will be quite interesting, like edgbaston.I still think aussies have a chance of winning, if they score around 310 runs in their 1st innnings, then bowl out england at 100 with crappy pitch after the rain and then get about 230 runs. It is really hard to make predictions at such stage, because aussies are very good and can come up with exceptional things.
IZZY!
if aussies get 300 tomorrow, the game will be quite interesting, like edgbaston.I still think aussies have a chance of winning, if they score around 310 runs in their 1st innnings, then bowl out england at 100 with crappy pitch after the rain and then get about 230 runs. It is really hard to make predictions at such stage, because aussies are very good and can come up with exceptional things.

True.

It would be quite an achievement if the Aussies actually got to 300. It would mean a maiden test hundred for warne or close to it.
zaf1986
True.

It would be quite an achievement if the Aussies actually got to 300. It would mean a maiden test hundred for warne or close to it.

He's made 99 before though.....:s:

Latest