Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    if aussies get 300 tomorrow, the game will be quite interesting, like edgbaston.I still think aussies have a chance of winning, if they score around 310 runs in their 1st innnings, then bowl out england at 100 with crappy pitch after the rain and then get about 230 runs. It is really hard to make predictions at such stage, because aussies are very good and can come up with exceptional things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    if aussies get 300 tomorrow, the game will be quite interesting, like edgbaston.I still think aussies have a chance of winning, if they score around 310 runs in their 1st innnings, then bowl out england at 100 with crappy pitch after the rain and then get about 230 runs. It is really hard to make predictions at such stage, because aussies are very good and can come up with exceptional things.
    True.

It would be quite an achievement if the Aussies actually got to 300. It would mean a maiden test hundred for warne or close to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    True.

It would be quite an achievement if the Aussies actually got to 300. It would mean a maiden test hundred for warne or close to it.
    He's made 99 before though.....:s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    He's made 99 before though.....:s:
    For England's sake, hopefully he won't do it again. The Aussies will hoping he can keep them afloat. Would make a good exciting test match IMO.

ReputationRep:
    i just pray there wont be a draw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Vaughan is doing brilliantly, IMO he's been the key why England have moved onto the next level from the solid base Hussain & Fletcher set out. Graeme Smith is a grafter, a battler in the Steve Waugh mould (but not quite that good of course) but at the moment Vaughan is captain supreme in the world.
    I'd agree about the base set up by Hussain and fletcher - in fact I was having the very same discussion with my brother the other day. It has done wonders for the team. I don't think Ricky POnting is that good a captain, although I guess he has a lot to live up to following Steve Waugh. It just seems to me like he makes some weird decisions sometimes, like he has some sort of aversion to a third man fielder even though England score tons of runs there.... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    like he has some sort of aversion to a third man fielder even though England score tons of runs there....
    Are you complaining? :rolleyes:

He did eventually get a third man, albeit reluctantly. I suppose hes too used to attacking.

ReputationRep:
    For England's sake, hopefully he won't do it again. The Aussies will hoping he can keep them afloat. Would make a good exciting test match IMO.
    Well, IMO the most exciting thing would be if we knocked the last 3 over for 10 tomorrow, made them follow on and bowled as brilliantly as we have today. *nods*

ReputationRep:
    He's got a couple of tons for Hampshire this season too. His technique maybe a bit unorthodox but he's no mug with the bat. I think even with a lead of about 100 (which would force Aus' tail enders to bat exceptionally again), England should be combfortable.

ReputationRep:
    Ataloss, oh go on then, you are the winner!

Cool. :cool: Great quiz Zaf cheers.

What an amazingly good day at Old Trafford too.

ReputationRep:
    An innings win would be so so sweet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    I'd agree about the base set up by Hussain and fletcher - in fact I was having the very same discussion with my brother the other day. It has done wonders for the team. I don't think Ricky POnting is that good a captain, although I guess he has a lot to live up to following Steve Waugh. It just seems to me like he makes some weird decisions sometimes, like he has some sort of aversion to a third man fielder even though England score tons of runs there.... :confused:
    Yup. Re Hussain I don't think he gets the credit he deserves actually. Fletcher has been the catalyst but together they made England into a much more polished and 'steely' outfit than it used to be. Vaughan has added the extra aggression and tactical work in the field. Also agree about Ponting, so far he's had a great bunch of players to work with but without coming under so much pressure. Now they're actually under the cosh he's not showing enough to prove he has what it takes (...yet...) to drag Australia out of the mess. In the past Australia have always been able to pack the slip cordon and bowl teams out relatively cheaply. At the moment they're not able to as Lee (although bowling well in spells) isn't consistent enough and Gillespie really is bowling very poorly. I've been impressed with Vaughan's decision to use sweepers early in the innings to prevent runs. It's always traditionally seen as a defensive field position but has been used with good effect to frustrate the Aussie batsmen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelseaBabe)
    Do you think you could at least post a few without text speak, it is against TSR rules??
    sorry i didnt realise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Yup. Re Hussain I don't think he gets the credit he deserves actually. Fletcher has been the catalyst but together they made England into a much more polished and 'steely' outfit than it used to be. Vaughan has added the extra aggression and tactical work in the field. Also agree about Ponting, so far he's had a great bunch of players to work with but without coming under so much pressure. Now they're actually under the cosh he's not showing enough to prove he has what it takes (...yet...) to drag Australia out of the mess. In the past Australia have always been able to pack the slip cordon and bowl teams out relatively cheaply. At the moment they're not able to as Lee (although bowling well in spells) isn't consistent enough and Gillespie really is bowling very poorly. I've been impressed with Vaughan's decision to use sweepers early in the innings to prevent runs. It's always traditionally seen as a defensive field position but has been used with good effect to frustrate the Aussie batsmen.
    Zaf, I'm not complaining about Ponting neglecting to have a 3rd man I just think if I was him I would have watched some videos and realised that there was a need for one, and then he should definitely have put one in sooner today!
    And kpg, I agree with your comments about Hussain. He had a tough job being captain during the transition from Atherton's (and Stewart's....) 90s team and the team Vaughan captains today. The England camp is definitely more professional with lots of younger players coming through now. I think one of the problems before was when athers was captain Raymond Illingworth was chairman of selectors and he wouldn't let Atherton pick any young players and insisted on keeping the old people in, when it was obviously time for a change, therefore there was a period when we were stuck with the same few, not to brilliant players.

ReputationRep:
    mine was because i had been training really intensively, especially on training camp, so the muscles around the ribs had got soo tight that in the end they just snapped the rib as it was under so much pressure! now i make sure i stretch the intercostals before and after every session to avoid it happening again! cost me a place in the GB squad though (well thats my excuse!) and i was only just ready for Nat Schools!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    An innings win would be so so sweet!
    *thinks about an innings win*
    *drools*
    *faints*

ReputationRep:
    wow...that sounds pretty harsh...
    I broke mine last year playing rugby, but you can sorta tell when that hospital pass comes your way, and you see the only huge bloke on their team running full pelt at you...

ReputationRep:
    Gillespie never lasts that long, Lee's usually much worse than he was last week, and McGrath is the new Tufnell. The follow on is most definitely possible tomorrow morning.

ReputationRep:
    I'll let you keep this thread for now, but if it turns into an Ashes fest, I will merge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hull chic)
    sorry i didnt realise
    Thanks and it is, please read, FAQ and Rules, they are your friends.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.