Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by IZZY!)
    tomorrow, because of rain, they are going to play around 3 hours. Lets say aussies play for 2 hours. Then the pitch gets crap and aussies get 2-3 wickets tomorrow on england. On sunday, aussies finish off england at around 150 tops. Then they will only need around 250-280
    Even if that does happen, they won't enjoy batting the last innings on a cow of a pitch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    Even if that does happen, they won't enjoy batting the last innings on a cow of a pitch.
    i know. but the same thing was predicted for edgebaston and aussies apparently got around 280 even with crappy pitch.they are just very good and can come up with anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    tomorrow, because of rain, they are going to play around 3 hours. Lets say aussies play for 2 hours. Then the pitch gets crap and aussies get 2-3 wickets tomorrow on england. On sunday, aussies finish off england at around 150 tops. Then they will only need around 250-280
    Someone's an optimist. :rolleyes: We're thrashing them man!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    Someone's an optimist. :rolleyes: We're thrashing them man!
    lol, i know that we are surely trashing them. the same happened on edgebaston. the odds for england were like 1.01 and for aussies 27. on the last day aussies came with exceptional performance and odds for aussies became 1.4, whilst for england 3.7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    I hope you mean in terms of batting!
    I dunno, some of the Aussie fielding on Thursday reminded me of Tuffers

ReputationRep:
    I think this game is englands to lose. I know you can't think that the aussies are dead and buried, but I can't see a way out of this hold for them. GO ENGLAND!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    What do people think about the fact that the ECB has sold TV rights for next season to Sky? I am soooo mad because we can't afford Sky so that means no cricket on TV for me next summer. Looks like I'll have to rely on TMS!!! Good old Blowers, Aggers and co.
    So am I :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    Cool. :cool: Great quiz Zaf cheers.

What an amazingly good day at Old Trafford too.
    Indeed an amazing day

ReputationRep:
    Good news for Murray as he got a wild card to play in Cincinnati next week. Hopefully he can put in a good performance and climb the rankings further. He is currently in the quarter final of a challenger event in the USA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talksoccer)
    FC United are a disgrace, the fans running to them are giving up on Manchester United and i for one am glad we dont have these touts with the club anymore.
    would you rather have a greedy man sucking all your money away? you cant care much about the club.

hopefully you watched the ITV documentary tonight, if not its on again at 4:10. enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    Try time trial road cycling...it is so so much worse! (from personal experience)
    There is an amazing rush from bumps racing though - just like most full-contact sports.
    Actually I get a bigger rush from side by side racing, since you can actually see how close you are. In bumps when you start getting close you can't truly take in the moment...your only sign is the swell in the noise from the bank and an increase in the number of swear words your cox is using! In side by side racing, in a really close race that is, you can take a small sideways look at your equal rower, and think "I'm gonna ****ing batter you" and really get a push off of that thought (at least I do).

Then again, you could say which was the better moment: beating caius m1 in a side by side, or getting clare m1 back on the second day of bumps? It would be a close call it really would, but there's something about side by side racing that makes it more enjoyable for me...probably because you know when it's gonna end, and so you can really kill yourself, whereas in bumps it's hard to judge it so you've just given it everything as you make the bump! For that reason I would put the beating caius above the bumping clare back!

ReputationRep:
    I can see what you mean by that...i always love short distance track sprints (you've probably seen them on on the telly where they do all the psychological stuff, the floor it right at the end), because in the same way you can look at your opponent and have something to destroy.
    I musy say though, having not raced boats extensively that i found bump racing a little more exciting.
    Then again, the isis is quite meandering, which i believe is different from the river at the "other place" allowing easier racing of that style...

ReputationRep:
    I've done a few time trials and its nothing compared to a 2K

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    I can see what you mean by that...i always love short distance track sprints (you've probably seen them on on the telly where they do all the psychological stuff, the floor it right at the end), because in the same way you can look at your opponent and have something to destroy.
    I musy say though, having not raced boats extensively that i found bump racing a little more exciting.
    Then again, the isis is quite meandering, which i believe is different from the river at the "other place" allowing easier racing of that style...
    yes the isis doesnt allow for much side-by-side action, but neither does the cam either. The longest stretch of sufficiently wide river only stretches from the length of the reach and a bit...which is just over 1k i think (or perhaps just under, can't remember). And even that course has a small bend in it! The rest of the bumps course is all winding like the isis, with 3 close together 90 degree like turns!

ReputationRep:
    The real question is should they enforce the follow on...If it didnt rain for a long time I probably wouldnt since the pitch is going to get worse and piling on the runs and settign a big target is always a difficult prospect for the opposition. If it rains I would enforce it since obviously getting them out as soon as possible is a better prospect than a draw...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    According to the BBC website, the man who the Aussies described as the 'best rugby player of either code' when the ARU tried to get him to convert to union for the next World Cup, Andrew Johns, is joining Warrington Wolves for the end of the Super League season.

His club, Newcastle Knights, are not going to make the playoffs (mainly because he missed the first half of the season through injury and were bottom of the table but since Johns has come back they've been on a great run of form), so when the Aussie season finishes Johns will join Warrington who are 4th just behind 3rd in the table, for the last few games of the season and then the playoffs.

On one level this is ultra short term and looks like a publicity gimmick, but as well as filling the Halliwell Jones stadium at the end of the season this could switch the balance of power in Super League, Warrington are a good side but a bit behind Leeds and Saints, but adding Johns will make a difference.

Anybody who watched State of Origin games 2 and 3 when Johns came back into the NSW team will see just how much influence he can have. Personally I've never seen a single player in any sport have such an influence on a team.
    If the RL is on a pub or if you have Sky try and catch one of the Warrington games if Johns is playing, genuine genius and all time great...you are talking up there with Maradona, Don Bradman, that sort of standard player...

Thats utter BS. Andrew Johns was not very instrumental in trying to get him to go to rugby, they meerly pointed it out as a possibility. He would be USELESS for the next world cup, as he would be too old and too injured. I have never ever heard anyone form the rugby community suggest he is the best player of rugby.

Now we have theleague writers here saying that Joey JOhns should have been the new Wallaby 5/8 when they know nothuing about rugby and forget that the best tactical flyhalf in the world Stephen Larkham is still up and go with kid dynamite Matt Giteau in hot persuit.

Id like to see Joey even try.

ReputationRep:
    well, i'm near manchester and its chuckin it down...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    Do you get all the Repton lot up your way then? They're a lovely bunch of people :rolleyes:
    Repton, Denston...a couple from Cheltenham Ladies College, and from an assortment of other minor public schools. SOme of them are very lovely - I had a really good friend who went to Repton and she actually changed pony clubs to South Staffs becuase she found the Meynell too stuck up. But some of them are a bit...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    The real question is should they enforce the follow on...If it didnt rain for a long time I probably wouldnt since the pitch is going to get worse and piling on the runs and settign a big target is always a difficult prospect for the opposition. If it rains I would enforce it since obviously getting them out as soon as possible is a better prospect than a draw...
    The problem is the weather. I mean the start of play has already been delayed by rain. If they don't enforcethefollow on, there's a chance that rain might force a draw. It seems that if they do manage to enforce thefollow-on, they will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    The problem is the weather. I mean the start of play has already been delayed by rain. If they don't enforcethefollow on, there's a chance that rain might force a draw. It seems that if they do manage to enforce thefollow-on, they will.
    Depends how long it rains, and whether rain is forecast for the next few days. If today is rained off, then Vaughan would be a fool not to enforce the follow on should he be able to.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.