Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Saying it stinks is a bit of an overstatement surely!
    As a volcanic region its positively fragrant (sorry, geologist and hopefully soon a volcanoligist - so if u get me started...)
    The game was a good one - big shame for LD though, it seems the only times he ever gets injured is when he's wearing the red of the lions.
    Why does everyone seem to think that lewsey is going to be playing centre now and shanklin will be on the wing??? (sorry - not directly from here, but i've been told it so many times already its pissing me off...) - dont some people just think they want players in their own positions, of which they will become more experienced, and just played them in these positions to "fill gaps" in the teams. I'm sure these performances are able, but in a high-pressure situation, you surely dont want any uncertainties clouding your judgement. i know when i play out of position i find it harder to concentrate on the main game. (i play back row but played a couple of games at full back last year because i had broken 2 ribs in a match - its hard to adapt!)

I think from the match there are some definate test selections though - o'connell, hill and lewsey were obscenely good, and most people seem to think peel is also guaranteed now (but when cusiter or dawson get a full game we will really see...).

ROG looked useless in defence and in kicking from the floor - can you imagine how badly he would cope with mccaw peeling off the back of a ruck towards him? theres been a lot said that his conversions were hard and from the sidelines....but he should still be able to get them.

Just a personal thing...and i know your going to hate this...but i think theres a possibility of seeing hodgson at fly half with henson at 12.
    ok - stop laughing - charlie is seen to be the best attacking fly half, and could really bring out the best in o driscoll, lewsey, robinson.etc.etc., and any worries about his kicking abilities from the floor, which i admit he bottled with england, despite still impressing for sale, could be covered by henson.
    also, having virtually the entire back 5 as good tactical kickers would be a huge boost.

Also...cant wait to see greenwood - with d'arcy off the boil and eveything i think he could just sneak into that 12 spot, especially since the loss of LD, and SCW will be looking for more experience in the side which he would provide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    As a volcanic region its positively fragrant (sorry, geologist and hopefully soon a volcanoligist - so if u get me started...)
    The game was a good one - big shame for LD though, it seems the only times he ever gets injured is when he's wearing the red of the lions.
    Why does everyone seem to think that lewsey is going to be playing centre now and shanklin will be on the wing??? (sorry - not directly from here, but i've been told it so many times already its pissing me off...) - dont some people just think they want players in their own positions, of which they will become more experienced, and just played them in these positions to "fill gaps" in the teams. I'm sure these performances are able, but in a high-pressure situation, you surely dont want any uncertainties clouding your judgement. i know when i play out of position i find it harder to concentrate on the main game. (i play back row but played a couple of games at full back last year because i had broken 2 ribs in a match - its hard to adapt!)

I think from the match there are some definate test selections though - o'connell, hill and lewsey were obscenely good, and most people seem to think peel is also guaranteed now (but when cusiter or dawson get a full game we will really see...).

ROG looked useless in defence and in kicking from the floor - can you imagine how badly he would cope with mccaw peeling off the back of a ruck towards him? theres been a lot said that his conversions were hard and from the sidelines....but he should still be able to get them.

Just a personal thing...and i know your going to hate this...but i think theres a possibility of seeing hodgson at fly half with henson at 12.
    ok - stop laughing - charlie is seen to be the best attacking fly half, and could really bring out the best in o driscoll, lewsey, robinson.etc.etc., and any worries about his kicking abilities from the floor, which i admit he bottled with england, despite still impressing for sale, could be covered by henson.
    also, having virtually the entire back 5 as good tactical kickers would be a huge boost.

Also...cant wait to see greenwood - with d'arcy off the boil and eveything i think he could just sneak into that 12 spot, especially since the loss of LD, and SCW will be looking for more experience in the side which he would provide.
    I think Hodgson should have a chance to see what he can do as well. It might help that I am a Sale fan but he has qualities that the others don't have so much like consistently breaking the first line of defence for instance. I do worry slightly about the way he plays his flat risky passes all the time. If he were to play in a test I would think the All Blacks might be able to exploit that for some easy points.
    The test series isn't going to be won at fly-half though. A combination of dominant forward play and taking the opportunities to score points whenever you get near the opposition 22 is what the Lions need to win away in New Zealand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)

Lewsey has actually played a lot of games at 12 for Wasps, so its hardly a new position for him, however I still think full back is his best position and there's no doubt he will be the test full back.

On O'Gara, obviously his defence and goal-kicking were poor, but I was impressed with some aspects of the game, particularly with the ball in hand in the first half, and also with his tactical kicking in the corners.

You criticise O'Gara's defence, but Hodgson is hardly a tackling colossus either and the fact is that compared to the other out-halfs on tour, he has very little International experience and certainly hasn't demonstrated an ability to cope with real pressure, so I don't think he is in the running at all for the test no. 10.

Fair point about Greenwood, I'd like to see how he gets on maybe on Wednesday against Taranaki, as he's been injured quite a bit and on his return didn't really impress for Quins. He certainly would offer a useful option at 12, as I'm still not at all convinced by Henson. I think if Darcy plays well in a warm-up from the start he could be in with a great shout for the inside centre berth alongside BOD.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, i live my life away from university in wales (and i do mean sadly) and they dont cover english rugby there - so i hope that would explain away my not being aware of lewsey's aptitude at centre...but you really want him running from deep because he makes such a huge impact - although that try against sale a few weeks ago was just spectacular (ideally, you would teach him to kick like wilko and clone him 5 times, but i dont think the rfu quite have the funds or "evil genius" tendencies to do such a thing...)
    I agree that O'Gara's kicking from hand was very good today - and tactically the amount of balls he just slotted in for 5 yard line outs was superb - but that was mostly second half, so maybe he got a word in the ear from one of the coaches on that one...
    It is true what you say about greenwood too - his playing wasn't up to his level. But, he must surely see this as his last ever shot of an international start - he's not the youngest guy out there, and there would be no chance of a first division centre getting into the england side (it shows what a massive sacrifice he is making by staying with Quins, and thats loyalty you dont see too often in most sports. either that or the Jason Leonard came over and sat on his legs until he re-signed).
    I dont think theres too much wrong with hodgsons tackling, and he's willing to throw himself at a front row players legs, so he doesn't lack commitment on that front
    also, as you say, you need to get into the oppositions 22 and score, and having someone who really electrifies the back line would make this so much easier - dont get me wrong tho...i still think wilko is the right man for the job if fully fit!
    sadly tho, as you say, that means having henson....its a real shame paterson didn't make the tour, i really though he would since he seriously impressed in the open, expansiveness of the North Vs South game.
    Also...just thinking about the lock positions...
    as i said before i believe it would be near impossible for anyone to take that spot from o'connell after todays performance. so, you have to have the combination of the two...the jumping lock and the angry lock (if you look at the england set up recently its always been the way - johnson & grewcock, johnson & shaw, Johnson & borthwick, kay & grewcock.etc.etc.), so your really going to want grewcock and shaw in there alongside o'connell - and since grewcock already has 3 lions test starts under his belt, that makes my mind up!

ReputationRep:
    All I can say now is if the Lions continue playing like they did against BOP they are going to get EATEN alive by the AB'S, Eh bro?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Supreme Rock? Aw awesome, he's such atalented horse.

It's coming up on two years since I sat on a horse, how depressing is that?!6 years since I owned one, and 4 years since I worked with them. I'm thinking about getting back into it, maybe sitting some exams and things so I can have qualifications. Bit nervous though as last time I rode I had a refuse at a 4' jump and he ended up spookking and going over anyway causing me to break and dislocate my hand. Not fun and I couldn't ride for ages, so when I went to uni I just stopped!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Anne Auraque)
    Honest? Horses don't talk! Nothing like a good bit of horsey jargon ********!
    I guess someone didn't get a pony for Christmas then! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The team for the match against Taranaki on Wednesday has been named, unsurprisingly it's a totally different starting XV.

15. Geordan Murphy;
    14. Shane Horgan,
    13. Will Greenwood,
    12. Ollie Smith,
    11. Denis Hickie;
    10. Charlie Hodgson,
    9. Chris Cusiter;
    1. Graham Rowntree,
    2. Andy Titterrell,
    3. John Hayes,
    4. Donncha O'Callaghan,
    5. Danny Grewcock,
    6. Martin Corry (captain),
    7. Lewis Moody,
    8. Michael Owen.

Replacements: Shane Byrne, Gethin Jenkins, Ben Kay, Martyn Williams, Gareth Cooper, Jonny Wilkinson, Gavin Henson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Supreme Rock? Aw awesome, he's such atalented horse.

It's coming up on two years since I sat on a horse, how depressing is that?!6 years since I owned one, and 4 years since I worked with them. I'm thinking about getting back into it, maybe sitting some exams and things so I can have qualifications. Bit nervous though as last time I rode I had a refuse at a 4' jump and he ended up spookking and going over anyway causing me to break and dislocate my hand. Not fun and I couldn't ride for ages, so when I went to uni I just stopped!
    Supreme Rock is brilliant, it's really sad he's retired

Ouch! That sounds really nasty. I hope you can get back in the saddle though, cos it's brilliant when everything falls into place. You need a horse that won't stop at anything - ride mine if you want!! (He won't stop, just go really really fast...) I fell off over a 3'9 fence a few years back and lost my confidence a lot - I've only just started approaching 3' again with my new horse, having lost faith in both my ability and my loan horse (a sweetie, but unreliable) Matt's brilliant as long as you can keep him calm...
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Yeah, hopefully I will in the next few months. I don't mind spooky horses, I've not been thrown yet. (touch wood) But bolting isn't too fun. Maybe once I get my career in order I'll look at buying a lightweight cob of some sort or an experienced warmblood. I used to train and bring on youngsters so hopefully it won't be too hard getting back into it! The accident didn't knock my confidence too much, it was just the fact I was off riding until it healed and then never had the time to restart it again. He was a spooky 5 year old TB. Have you still got your loan horse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    All I can say now is if the Lions continue playing like they did against BOP they are going to get EATEN alive by the AB'S, Eh bro?
    100% with you on this one.

the lions need to spend more time on developing into one team, but there can only get better, alot of these players have only played with players from there own nation.

by the first test the team (hopfully) will be unrecognisable, from the shambles we have seen so far.

hope DL is fit for next season, i mean mental fit, his main personal aim for this season was to be fit for LIONS, partly cos of what happened in OZ, and he goes and brakes his ankle in the first 20 minutes of the tour, thats really got to mess up your mind.

ReputationRep:
    Taranaki shouldnt be a hard side. Whats that side beginning with M that the Lions play? Forget thair name all I knwo is that they got walloped by QLD A, the BI Lions should have a field day with them. (Before they are eaten by the AB's).

Aah I love the international season. The annual festival of hate is about to begin here, GO THE WALLABIES...

ok ill stick to the Lions tour on this thread at least..

Eh Cuz? Eh Bru?

ReputationRep:
    You can do nothing but expect these early lions teams to be sub standard. the whole point of playing all these warm up games is to gel as a team. The problems in this case are even more severe than those for, example, a barbarians tour.
    As we saw recently the Bar Bar's got Ahniallated by scotland, then had a convincing win over England. so that is a massive improvement over just a week and a half. the lions will be similar with time, except that since its a 46 rather than 22 man squad, it will take more time...but it will come eventually.
    LD's ankle is set to put him out for 4-6 months apparently...so it could impinge on the start of the next season, maybe the first half. But, you know he will be up to his best again, in my opinion he is the epitomy of mental toughness (which has not depleted despite him starring in mcdonalds ad's), but the problem is, there is nothing that he will be immedeately striving towards - the next lions tour is 4 years away (although looking at back being there, age isn't everything), and i think its unlikely he will want to play for england again....but you can always hope - they could really do with someone with such stability - you could see against BOP that he just had such huge influence of the pack and how well they played under his direction.
    It should be interesting to see how corry fills this role though - as an international captain he should be expected to know what he's doing, and does have a habit of profiting from dallaglios misfortune - flying out to aus late and starting all 3 tests in his absence (although at blindside rather than no 8), but he just seems to be too much of a donkey round the field for my liking!
    Looks like a good, and also "flamboyant" rugby playing team (not henson flamboyant tho...), with hodgson and greenwood there the back moves should be good, and with the likes of moody (who i believe is atleast a definate for the bench - really injects some flare into the game) and titteral playing against an arguably poor taranaki side, should be interesting to watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Yeah, hopefully I will in the next few months. I don't mind spooky horses, I've not been thrown yet. (touch wood) But bolting isn't too fun. Maybe once I get my career in order I'll look at buying a lightweight cob of some sort or an experienced warmblood. I used to train and bring on youngsters so hopefully it won't be too hard getting back into it! The accident didn't knock my confidence too much, it was just the fact I was off riding until it healed and then never had the time to restart it again. He was a spooky 5 year old TB. Have you still got your loan horse?
    No, when we bought Matt we couldn't afford to keep him as well so he has some new loaners now and is back to his old tricks. Well...if she will insist on riding in a snaffle with loose reins at break neck speed, I 'spose it's not really his fault. He lost interest a bit really, and just before we got Matt I was having to chase him really hard to get him round a 2'9 course - no fun for either of us!

ReputationRep:
    this thread is making me nostalgic.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, im about to start another one which is related to football manager but these two sites will still be very important.

ReputationRep:
    Bored and bumping this back to the top!

ReputationRep:
    Where Will Scott Parker Be Next Season?

ReputationRep:
    Dont forget liverpool are in the race aswell, apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sb1986)
    Dont forget liverpool are in the race aswell, apparently.
    Pick Somewhere else then

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.