Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelseaBabe)
    So for someone who ain't interested in Cricket at all. What happens now??
    Well (mainly due to the rain on day 3) the match ended in a draw, so the series is still tied at 1-1. There are 2 test matches remaining, so an overall series tie is still possible (at 1-1 or 2-2), as is an English or Australian series victory.

ReputationRep:
    hehe. i almost thought i d lose all my money i put on aussies and england. however in the end, i put some money on the draw. apparently i won all the money.yayayayayaya.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    Well (mainly due to the rain on day 3) the match ended in a draw, so the series is still tied at 1-1. There are 2 test matches remaining, so an overall series tie is still possible (at 1-1 or 2-2), as is an English or Australian series victory.
    Now I understand. Thank you for filling 'ickle me in. Better go and see what vBookie stuff I can find then for the other two.

ReputationRep:
    Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! that's so annoying. If almost a whole day hadn't been washed out, I swear we would have beaten the aussies comfortably!

ReputationRep:
    ahhh.you wont believe how much stress i ve been having during these 5 days. and now the result, finally.i m going to gym now to relax in spa.

ReputationRep:
    It's what sport is all about. Class cricket.

Ricky Ponting - take a bow sir, that took some real character.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! that's so annoying. If almost a whole day hadn't been washed out, I swear we would have beaten the aussies comfortably!
    no doubt about it.
    most australians wouldnt disagree with that either.

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to take up rowing next year. I'm not going to become one of those hardcore boaties, but I am going to train regularly and even tho its probs gonna be more of a social thing, i wanna be in the best shape possible.

I know that at 6' 1'' and 14st 4lbs (as of yesterday) i've not got the kind of build that is optimum for this sport and to be honest i wouldn't want that anyway.

But along with cutting for Ibiza and the September shows i've tried to incorporate a few bits and bobs that i think might help. See what you think.

As my gym has no cardio equipment I went down my mates gym for a trial. I got 7:40 for 2km which i'm told is just underwhat most freshers are doing. Now i know this i've been going on sort of interval runs where i'll jog 2mins then do 8 mins at a faster pace, rest for 2 mins and then run another 8mins with a 2mins cool off.

I also use this little argos rower thing my old man got me when i was cutting a few years ago out in the garden.

Has anyone got any other ideas that can get me in good condition without actually having to get on a rower b4 october.

Big Jay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambridgemuscle)
    I know that at 6' 1'' and 14st 4lbs (as of yesterday) i've not got the kind of build that is optimum for this sport and to be honest i wouldn't want that anyway.
    what is optimum? you're same height & only a tad heavier than my boyf, who probably counts as a "hardcore boatie" as such, he's off rowing somewhere obscure at the mo, so i can't ask... :p:

but the impression i get of their land training - ergs (long & slow but make sure someone teaches your PROPERLY!), circuits (not sure of precise details) & he does some weights too. very vague, sorry!

imasillynarb knows quite a bit on this topic i think..

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you look for the concept2 website as they have a forum on there with a lot of professional rowers who can advise you best on how to get fit without even getting on an erg machine. I don't really know enough about training to advise you on what your exercise programme should entail, but I would work primarily on your cardiovascular fitness (don't worry about weight training) and aerobic fitness - lots of running and circuit training will do you good. Anything that gets your heart rate up will get you fitter. When you get to Cambridge they'll train you specifically for rowing (even at college level I imagine they do). I'm from Oxford and was in WNA & W2 boats last year and we trained regularly; to give you an idea what we did:

3 x River Outings a week (at first technical outings, then some would incorporate pieces etc)
    2 x ergs a week (one endurance, one sprint training)
    1 x run followed by 20mins+ of circuits

Also, if you have never been shown how to properly row or use an erg machine by someone qualified in a gym, then please don't use one until you have been shown - too many ppl think it's all about pulling with the arms when actually all the power comes from driving down your legs. If you train wrongly on an erg not only will you injure your back in the long term but you'll also have poor techinque when you start rowing at Cam.

ReputationRep:
    As I just said in another thread, wanna get better at rowing? Then row, forget about running, it won't provide results as fast.

7:40 is the slower end of the freshers scale I'd say, but when you have a coach and 10 other rowers shouting at you and making you stick to a split until you die then you'll probably knock 10-20 seconds off that.

Train like you race is the motto here, if you want to improve at your 2k you need to simulate races conditions, be it heart-rate, lactic acid etc. so efforts like 8x500m at 2k pace with 1:30 rest between intervals, 4x1000m at 2k pace with 3 minute rests etc.

Training to improve your anaerobic threshold will help, say 4x5mins at 2k pace + 6 secs etc.

You can also do a few long ergs, but they'll probably bore you to tears at this stage, wait until you actually start before you're forced to do them I reckon.

The day we're unhappy with drawing to Australia is the day I'm very happy. :eek:

Frustrating to get so close, but Ponting and his team deserved it, they won the crucial day.

Who knows, if it didn't rain on day 3 we may have got the wickets right away in the morning, forced a follow on, only for them to make 500 and Warne to clear us out in the last day...

Edit - well done Giles... you cretin!

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe we drew- I can't stand Brett Lee's smirk
    :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: I don't care about money but I've got an Aussie mate who just won't shut up.

ReputationRep:
    is it gonna knock mass off my upper body?

(Original post by darth_vader05)
    I can't believe we drew- I can't stand Brett Lee's smirk
    :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: I don't care about money but I've got an Aussie mate who just won't shut up.
    He has nothing to be smug about, compared to their last decade they're doing terribly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    He has nothing to be smug about, compared to their last decade they're doing terribly.
    This draw feels like a defeat. I think Harmison could have bowled a better last over but if Flintoff had bowled it he would have had his five wickets. Ah well we'll get them in the next match. I think the Aussies are desperately looking to find some form, because most of there batters are playing crap.

This draw feels like a defeat. I think Harmison could have bowled a better last over but if Flintoff had bowled it he would have had his five wickets. Ah well we'll get them in the next match. I think the Aussies are desperately looking to find some form, because most of there batters are playing crap.
    Did he pitch any balls outside off stump in that final over?!

With all those slips.....

ReputationRep:
    Too bad they get 9 days for McGrath and Clarke to recover, and for the team to find that form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Did he pitch any balls outside off stump in that final over?!

With all those slips.....
    I think the pressure got to him, but Flintoff's last over was a beauty. I think Harmison hasn't bowled much this series and so hasn't hoggard. It's mainly Flintoff and Giles.

I didn't want to watch the last few overs but when I heard that Ponting was out I glued myself to the couch but

ReputationRep:
    I would doubt it. If you look at most olympic rowers they all pretty big guys becuase rowing is POWER and ENDURANCE sport, not just endurance, despite it being 70% aerobic and 30% anaerobic. So therefore their muscles have to be fairly big to provide the required power outputt.

I have a friend who has been rowing since bout 9/10 years old and he his fairly muscular. Now this maybe due to his genetics, but i think this is due to the demands of the sport so you wouldn't lose that much muscle.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.