Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    He's good but i dont know if he can win us the grand final. Im excited about it though. I have a friend who's a saints fan and they're looking forward aswell.

(Original post by darth_vader05)
    I think the pressure got to him, but Flintoff's last over was a beauty. I think Harmison hasn't bowled much this series and so hasn't hoggard. It's mainly Flintoff and Giles.

I didn't want to watch the last few overs but when I heard that Ponting was out I glued myself to the couch but
    Yeah, the upside to lots of bowlers is them being fresh, but they lack that consistancy if they're bowling for the first time in 50 overs....

I think we should ditch Hoggard and have another batsman, and change wicket keeper. (The argument for Jones staying is that he's the best batter of them all, but if we have a full time batsman in we can afford to have a wicket keeper who can't make as many.)

I still can't believe Giles and Warne got all their wickets in the first innings. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    sorry, were you saying in your original post that you dont have an erg machine available to you? If that is the case, then the next best thing is either cycling, or circuits. Get on a cycling machine and do about an hour of continuous cycling, enough to make you sweat a fair amount. With circuits you want about 10 stations to work with, and do at least 3 complete circuits. Although stations using weights machines are ideal, we can't all go kicking people off machines at the gym, so you may have to resort to being adventurous with some dumbells or something.
    Basically you want to be working on aerobic stuff, you want to work as hard as is required to feel uncomfortable, and you want to keep it like that for ideally at least half an hour

ReputationRep:
    Good Grief. What a horrible result. Well at least we can say the Australlians only won becuase of the rain yesterday.

(Original post by Vazzyb)
    Good Grief. What a horrible result. Well at least we can say the Australlians only won becuase of the rain yesterday.
    They didn't win!

ReputationRep:
    i imagine when you catch your bump & procede to go for some 'side by side' it's fairly exciting though. :p: just watching had quite an effect on my heart rate...

(& for those of you wondering about the weird oxbridgey 'bumps' thing this sort of illustrates the aim - the boats started with 1.5 lengths between them. at oxford to make a 'bump' the cox needs to concede, or you can make contact i.e. bow onto cox.. but in this case they went for an 'overtake' manoeuver! & it's dangerous. boaties are silly. :rolleyes: )
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    They didn't win!
    Lol, the problem is that it feels like they won. But I guess a draw was better than a loss. But still had it not been for the weather, we could have thrashed the aussies sort of.

You know, the funny thing is that before the ashes series, everyone including the aussies were writing off the english. They said that it would be a one-sided series, and few were predicting that englnad would even win one match. They'll be eating their words now. Thing is, England have done themselves proud this series so far, and we could have been so much better, what with so many dropped catches.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone off to the CC final next week?

Ooooooolllllleeeee Faithful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Lol, the problem is that it feels like they won. But I guess a draw was better than a loss. But still had it not been for the weather, we could have thrashed the aussies sort of.

You know, the funny thing is that before the ashes series, everyone including the aussies were writing off the english. They said that it would be a one-sided series, and few were predicting that englnad would even win one match. They'll be eating their words now. Thing is, England have done themselves proud this series so far, and we could have been so much better, what with so many dropped catches.
    I'm quite annoyed at Petersien- he's dropped 5 catces this series and they have been costly.He can bat but he needs some lessons from Collingwood.

Isn't Geriant Jones an Aussie- maybe he's got mixed feelings playing against Austrailia :p:

(Original post by Xenon)

They've dropped as many as we have though....

Imagine if they didn't have Shane Warne, we'd be thrashing them so badly. :eek:

Isn't Geriant Jones an Aussie- maybe he's got mixed feelings playing against Austrailia :p:
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambridgemuscle)
    is it gonna knock mass off my upper body?
    Coming from an "supposed" bodybuilder I find that a bloody stupid question.

ReputationRep:
    :eek:
    If it was one catch you could dismiss it as butter fingers but.... a conspiracy I sense. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Coming from an "supposed" bodybuilder I find that a bloody stupid question.
    I was digging for suggestions on how to limit the damage as it were, or if i need to lose weight to get anywhere.

ReputationRep:

I hate Warne. He always sticks in there. How good would it be if we got him out real early in his innings next match.

ReputationRep:
    depends what level you want to take it to? For novice rowing, more often than not it's just the strongest/tallest guys that end up making up the best boats, since hardly anyone has good technique. If you plan to take it further, than the intense training may well redistribute mass, but not much i wouldnt have thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    when you have a coach and 10 other rowers shouting at you and making you stick to a split until you die

I still have nightmares about that...

ReputationRep:

imagine if we didnt have freddy. we'd be getting beaten so badly.... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ads.)
    I would doubt it. If you look at most olympic rowers they all pretty big guys becuase rowing is POWER and ENDURANCE sport, not just endurance, despite it being 70% aerobic and 30% anaerobic. So therefore their muscles have to be fairly big to provide the required power outputt.

I have a friend who has been rowing since bout 9/10 years old and he his fairly muscular. Now this maybe due to his genetics, but i think this is due to the demands of the sport so you wouldn't lose that much muscle.

I'd say most tend to be more of the tall and slim type. The ideal rower is 6'2 or 6'3 and doesn't weigh that much. Maybe 14 stone. You don't want to be above that. But if you look at long boats, you usually have quite a variety of statures.

Lightweight rowers for example tend to be tall (but not that tall) and lanky (while still being very toned).

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite annoyed at Petersien- he's dropped 5 catces this series and they have been costly.He can bat but he needs some lessons from Collingwood.

pietersen and straus are south african and geraint jones is an aussi... simon jones is welsh and vaughan is the bain of humanity - a yorkshireman

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.