Archive SPTM/0003/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Just got back. Terrible sunburn but it was great. Shame about the result. I really though we were gonna win it when Ponting went. Oh well.
zaaks786
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by englishstudent)
Just got back. Terrible sunburn but it was great. Shame about the result. I really though we were gonna win it when Ponting went. Oh well.

lucky you!!!wish i got to go to be there!yea thought we'd win today but the last few balls were bowled terribly, we were so close...
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by zaaks786)
lucky you!!!wish i got to go to be there!yea thought we'd win today but the last few balls were bowled terribly, we were so close...
The crowd during those last 12 balls... woah. It was amazing. I was sure we were going to do it though.
zaaks786
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by englishstudent)
The crowd during those last 12 balls... woah. It was amazing. I was sure we were going to do it though.
ok now ur just makin me jealous!!!
i kno!me too.......but all in all we've played really well, dnt u think??
CorpusNinja
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
nice finish to a good test match, but was I the only one who thought that while clarke and ponting were there, they could have chased the total down? At the end they needed like 90 off 80 balls which was doable considering warne and ponting were well set. that would have been an even tenser situation...
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by zaaks786)
ok now ur just makin me jealous!!!
i kno!me too.......but all in all we've played really well, dnt u think??
Yeah, we played brilliantly. We were knocked off course by the rain and by Warne and Ponting. Shame. Still we look in good shape for the last two tests!
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Fantastic cricket, but this is just one of the reasons why cricket has failed to attract the mainstream. 5 days playing a game and it ends up in a draw! Watching the game unfold was fantastic though. Sooo close... sadly it looks like Australia will retain the Ashes. They only need to win one test to do that?
ancientone
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I have to say that I am staggered and fearful for the future of English football reading some of these comments. The prognosis of Glazers takeover are serious for the whole of football, and anyone who doesn't accept this is doing football no good whatsoever. When the European Super League comes about because one of the clubs that's consistently opposed it changes it's vote, the implicationss for English football will be staggering-and it'll be a negative effect for most English clubs. And Glazer will have to change to vote of Man United so he can agree seperate TV deals-he needs these to finance the debt he's saddled the club with. The European union only just accepted the last TV deals but have made it clear that there must be a different structure to the deals in the future, meaning situation along the style of the Italian deals, ie every club negotiating it's own deals. Fine for Glazer-awful for clubs at the bottom of the premiership. Money raised on tours by Man United, or from the current TV deal for clubs at the bottom of the premiership, will be much less meaning less money for transfer fees to trickle down the system, so affecting those clubs that rely on transfer income. There is also issues such as the record of the Glazers. As someone who's been going to Old Trafford, a born Manc, who was taken by his dad as a kid, it's broken my heart to return my season ticket. But i will not give Glazer one penny. For that reason, and that reason alone, I've become a founder member of FCUM.

Still cheered when Ruuds goal went in this week though-because we still love United, just want the end of the Glazer era.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
tis true - we were imperious, and i think we will have a good chance of taking it out of reach at trent bridge. Then, we could either push for 3-1 to finish or still play conservative to leave open the option for a draw.
The aussies do look old as hoggy said....the bowling attack looks sub-standard (mainly due to mcgraths injury, and warne has been impressive - but you cant win a series with 1.5 firing bowlers...), and the batting has been so well out-thought tactically.
I still think we have a good chance to win back the ashes - a win at trent bridge would almost guarantee it.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
6ft 2 is a bit on the short side for a rower. Currently the smallest bloke in the current GB Coxless 4 is steve williams at 190cm which is just about 6ft 3 I think, 6ft4-6ft5 is the best size, and they weigh an awful lot more than 14 stone - James cracknell weighs 16stone, matt pinsent used to be 16.5, steve redgrave a similar weight.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cambridgemuscle)
I was digging for suggestions on how to limit the damage as it were, or if i need to lose weight to get anywhere.
Limit the damage? Its all about calories in and calories out as well as correct protein intake, you can take L-glutamine first thing in the morning and before long rowing sessions as well(river sessions) and after weights as well, its pretty much the same as doing normal cardio but you need to remember you're gonna be on the river for 1-3 hours so cater for that with your diet.
nooneknows
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)

I think we should ditch Hoggard and have another batsman, and change wicket keeper. (The argument for Jones staying is that he's the best batter of them all, but if we have a full time batsman in we can afford to have a wicket keeper who can't make as many.)
I'm not sure about ditching Hoggard! Ok, he's not having a fantastic series...but did you see him in South Africa? Plus, if the ball really starts to swing he'll be a handful.
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
I think we should ditch Hoggard and have another batsman, and change wicket keeper. (The argument for Jones staying is that he's the best batter of them all, but if we have a full time batsman in we can afford to have a wicket keeper who can't make as many.)
No way. Hoggard is a valuable member of the team, and having 5 bowlers is such a bonus. Jones' batting ability is also hugely valuable, as no matter which batsmen you pick above him, they could always fail. Chris Read is a failure with the bat at international level. I don't care if he's getting better at county level, he can't cut it with the bat in Tests.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
i imagine when you catch your bump & procede to go for some 'side by side' it's fairly exciting though. :p: just watching had quite an effect on my heart rate...
We almost never go side by side on bumps racing in the cam though - on most of the corners it'd be too hard to try, so the cox has to concede. Occasionally happens on the Reach I believe, but only rarely.

I like bumps racing best because all the sitting around getting cold and wet at regattas sucks. Unfortunately Lady Luck does not seem to be on the side of my boat when it comes to bumps!
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I still think collingwood would be a useful addition - his batting is so good right now, and his bowling can create wickets through varaible pace and bounce where there is no swing present...
sahsum
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I am a new cricket fan since this 3rd test, found it very exciting!! when is the next test?
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Tonight Matthew)
No way. Hoggard is a valuable member of the team, and having 5 bowlers is such a bonus. Jones' batting ability is also hugely valuable, as no matter which batsmen you pick above him, they could always fail. Chris Read is a failure with the bat at international level. I don't care if he's getting better at county level, he can't cut it with the bat in Tests.
I agree, our 5 bowler line-up has been what's helped us most so far. Gillespe is bowling s*ite for them and they stuggle to cover the overs. When McGrath and Lee were looking injured they'd have been screwed. As it is they are stretched. All through today I felt Vaughan always had a bowler he could turn to in order to keep pressure on. Hoggard took a couple anyway. He bowled well.
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
One problem with Vaughan's captaincy today: bowling Ashley Giles so much. Me and my friends saw him (Giles) in a service station near Birmingham on our way back.. decided to give him some room, didn't look too happy.
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Tonight Matthew)
One problem with Vaughan's captaincy today: bowling Ashley Giles so much. Me and my friends saw him (Giles) in a service station near Birmingham on our way back.. decided to give him some room, didn't look too happy.
He didn't have a great game admittedly. But then again neither did Warne (with the ball) - he didn't take any wickets in our second innings. Maybe it wasn't a great pitch for the spinners. I think Giles is valuable to take the strain off the quicker bowlers though... I doubt many England players were "happy" anyway after that. They deserved the win.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the name is stupid for a start. Football Club United of Manchester. english speak in order do you?

then again...with the real man u turning into this:

they need a team to carry on the colours and name.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.48%
No - but I will (76)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.91%

Watched Threads