Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    6ft 2 is a bit on the short side for a rower. Currently the smallest bloke in the current GB Coxless 4 is steve williams at 190cm which is just about 6ft 3 I think, 6ft4-6ft5 is the best size, and they weigh an awful lot more than 14 stone - James cracknell weighs 16stone, matt pinsent used to be 16.5, steve redgrave a similar weight.
    I knew someone would mention them but they're also at a totally different level and guys like Tim Foster, Steve Williams or Ed Coode are all about 14 stone and 6ft2 or 3.

Plus I like to consider sculling as actual rowing and the coxless four is quite an exception especially the British coxless four as it's probably the most physical boat. Well that's my impression. In most other boats, rowers have less body mass.

It's just my impression it might be a bit tricky weighing 16 stone and still remaining performant enough to be competitive, especially in boats other than the coxless four or eight.

ReputationRep:
    Meh... I would LOVE to start rowing... if only I had the potential. At 6'1 and 10stone I would be quite pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    Meh... I would LOVE to start rowing... if only I had the potential. At 6'1 and 10stone I would be quite pathetic.
    i row alot (not proper just for fitness at the gym)
    and u soon build stamina, height is important n bein 6'1 sure u'd b kinda good at it

ReputationRep:
    io think Vaughan's captaincy has been first class, not just in the field but the spirit / belief he has installed in his players has been excellent.
    he's even got me believing they can win it and i thought that had no chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahsum)
    I am a new cricket fan since this 3rd test, found it very exciting!! when is the next test?
    week on thurs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    I knew someone would mention them but they're also at a totally different level and guys like Tim Foster, Steve Williams or Ed Coode are all about 14 stone and 6ft2 or 3.

Plus I like to consider sculling as actual rowing and the coxless four is quite an exception especially the British coxless four as it's probably the most physical boat. Well that's my impression. In most other boats, rowers have less body mass.

It's just my impression it might be a bit tricky weighing 16 stone and still remaining performant enough to be competitive, especially in boats other than the coxless four or eight.
    Tim Foster should never have been in the coxless for if it were for his Physical merits alone, he was smaller, lighter, weaker, and less fit than the others in the boat(excluding steve I suppose) but his technique was head and shoulders above the rest of them.

Ed Coode is 194cm and coming up to 15 stone, a big lad. Like I said 6ft 2 is on the short side for an international rower, I would love nothing more than to try and one day row for GB, but I know that at 6ft 2 I'm always going to be second pick to 6ft 5, 16 stone, public schoolboys who've been rowing since 14.

ReputationRep:
    au trent bridge oui? and is headingly the last test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    the name is stupid for a start. Football Club United of Manchester. english speak in order do you?

then again...with the real man u turning into this:
    http://fun.the-gateway.net/man-utd-kit.jpg

they need a team to carry on the colours and name.
    aahhahha, nice pic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Anyone off to the CC final next week?

Ooooooolllllleeeee Faithful.
    Yes very excited now. COME ON U HULLL!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    No, The Oval.

ReputationRep:
    Next Match on Results Day :eek

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    Don't be silly. You might not ever row for GB, but then neither will most of us. 6'1 is perfectly adequate for club/uni rowing. You're light, but either you can row lightweight, or the training will help you build muscle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    Next Match on Results Day :eek
    Nope, week later.

England deserved the win no doubt, but the pitch played true, and the Aussies knuckled down and batted well.

10 days breather gives both teams time to regroup. England will probably be unchanged, but Australia should bring in Kasper for Dizzy. 1-1 sets it up nicely, a 2-2 draw is possible as is a 3-1 victory either way. Before the beginning of the series I predicted 3-1 to the Aussies, now I'm thinking it could go 3-1 either way...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    One problem with Vaughan's captaincy today: bowling Ashley Giles so much. Me and my friends saw him (Giles) in a service station near Birmingham on our way back.. decided to give him some room, didn't look too happy.
    Bowling your spinner on the 5th day of a test match isn't that bad a move. Ponting played him very well though. Vaughan is excellent at mixing it up with his bowlers (easier witha 5 man attack mind) but if there's one criticism it's that England leave games to drift too often imo. When Clarke & Ponting and Warne & Ponting were together Australia looked very combfortable. Sweepers out on the boundary helped that. Needs to be a bit more aggressive at times and close the gaps in the slip cordon, not after an edge has gone through.

(Original post by El Chueco)
    imagine if we didnt have freddy. we'd be getting beaten so badly.... :eek:
    I think he's overrated, with the bat anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Saw that pic on another forum I use like months ago.

Actually, Rooney would be suited to American football I feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I think he's overrated, with the bat anyway.
    id like to see you hit a six out of the ground against the fastest bowler in the world

ReputationRep:
    well said rt
    he is not over rated, he makes it look easy but i dont think its as easy as all that

ReputationRep:
    Johns very definitely can win Wire the Grand Final. Look at how crap the Newcastle Knights were doing while he was out, rooted at the bottom of the table. Since he's been back they can't stop winning and he's winning man of the match every week. Same thing happened when he came back into the NSW side for State of Origin.

Andrew Johns is in a league of his own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Limit the damage? Its all about calories in and calories out as well as correct protein intake, you can take L-glutamine first thing in the morning and before long rowing sessions as well(river sessions) and after weights as well, its pretty much the same as doing normal cardio but you need to remember you're gonna be on the river for 1-3 hours so cater for that with your diet.
    Not a fan of the old glutamine. thought it was the biggest waste of 15 quid i've ever spent but i guess i could try it again. What results have you had from it?

I guess i could dig out the recipe for protein flapjacks again and add a bit of glutamine in my pineapple juice when im gonna be out on the river.

Height isn't my main concern as loads of you have confirmed. I spose at college level its not going to require much weight loss, especially if i stay content with the second boat.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.