Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully he can win it for us. Only 2 games left to play without him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Hossy if youve not played either before then bear in mind league will be easier to learn and will do your fitness levels more good than union

I dont mind watching union internationals but in general I find the Zurich Premiership a bit boring compared to the Super League
    as do the general public according to gates...
    dont know what that Wiganer was saying when he said Iestyn was not the dogs gonads before he left league, thats crap mate Iestyn was the best player in Super League in around 98-99, Leeds whole team was built around him.
    hey. that was me building a team around a player can make the player seem a lot better than he is. Iestyn was good but i don't think he was an all time league great. maybe because he shot off to union instead of being league for the long run, i don't know... henry paul done the same.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: i just read in a gambling magazine that they are trying to get poker (Texas Holdem) as an olympic event! anyone got any sources for this, or any thoughts?

wow! i could become an olympic champion without lifting a finger!! :eek:

(Original post by rt1009)
    id like to see you hit a six out of the ground against the fastest bowler in the world
    Like I said I could? Many agree that Beckham is overrated, but they can't do what he does... I just think he's a bit all or nothing with the bat. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'd bash u at poker, I'm up £300 this month from £20 on 888.com poker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Bowling your spinner on the 5th day of a test match isn't that bad a move.
    It is when your spinner is bowling undiluted horsemeat.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, if anyone was watching Today at the Test last night, me and my friends were right on camera when Ponting hit Hoggard for a four through mid on in Hoggard's first over.

(Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    It is when your spinner is bowling undiluted horsemeat.
    lol, he's not that bad, I've seen Blackwell live and he's fat. :eek:

Weird that the spinners did better in the first innings. :confused:

Were they overused and so got tired fingers or something, or just crap on those days....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oblivious)
    I'd bash u at poker, I'm up £300 this month from £20 on 888.com poker

ooooh, really?! :rolleyes: :cool:

i may be underage, but hey i've won £30 from a £5 free signup bonus on Pacificpoker, on a low stakes game :p: an i dont play that often online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I think he's overrated, with the bat anyway.
    He's the best all rounder in the world. He always bowls well, and while his batting may be more inconsistent, he's still a good batsman. It's hard to bowl and bat -top order batsmen can devote their training to improving just their batting, while he has to do both.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh glutamine was a waste of money for me the first time as well, did nothing, but I'm cutting now and apparantly it helps retain muscle mass, so I thought starting it again won't do any harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    He's the best all rounder in the world. He always bowls well, and while his batting may be more inconsistent, he's still a good batsman. It's hard to bowl and bat -top order batsmen can devote their training to improving just their batting, while he has to do both.
    **cough** jacques Kallis, best batsman and 23rd best bowler. Anyway that's not very important.

Has anyone heard Kevin "bloody" wilson's "the shane warne song" I would post it but i dont know if it's a little too offensive.
    To give you an idea of the song the chorus contains the line "warnie put you're wanger away, that pecker's gonna get you into trouble some day. You stick to cricket i'll do the r**tin for australia so warnie put your wanger away"

ReputationRep:
    hey
    ive been rowing for bout 2 years, one year serious, finished season this year by racin novice skull in irish champs. im 5'4 and 8 stone exactly, i know im mega lite etc etc but do u reckon ill be asked to put on a couple of stone at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    I know that at 6ft 2 I'm always going to be second pick to 6ft 5, 16 stone, public schoolboys who've been rowing since 14.
    **** you're a giant. I feel bad at 6ft. I went to the selections at a Canadian Uni and I went with a friend who drove me to the test. When we got there, he (who's 6ft5) got all the attention from the coaches, they immediately asked him questions, how much experience he had. The stupid thing is that despite him probably weight a stone or two more than me, I got a better erg time than him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mootle)
    hey
    ive been rowing for bout 2 years, one year serious, finished season this year by racin novice skull in irish champs. im 5'4 and 8 stone exactly, i know im mega lite etc etc but do u reckon ill be asked to put on a couple of stone at uni?
    No, you'll be asked to hang from some goal posts until you're taller :p:

ReputationRep:
    Murray just beat Taylor Dent 7-6 7-6 in Cincinnatti! Murray was solid but Dent played really poorly. Next up is Safin tomorrow night which could be a great match.

Henman and Rusedski also through and they play tomorrow as well

ReputationRep:
    hmm ok, so how would you guys advise I go about getting myself into good shape to start rowing?
    How strong should one be?

I'm also wondering whether I would be able to train during my time at uni, and thus join a team or something after about my first team, how easy is this?

Which one skill or ability, above all others, makes you a great rower?

I'm 6'1 and 10stone, so I need to beef myself up a bit, but how?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Eating more food would be a start, theres plenty of threads on the subject anyway, look at them, if not buy some books on the subject - try to steer clear of the steroid based ones though.

There is no one skill or ability that makes you a great rower, rowing is about many many things - mental strength, fitness, technique etc.

Technique is something you can only really be taught by a coach, so just hope you get a good coach or go to a good rowing Uni.

Fitness is a lot easier when theres organised sessions arranged by coaches and boatclub and you have the facilities, again, make sure you go to a good rowing Uni.

Mental strength I guess is just something you do or don't have, 2ks hurt, a lot, and you need to be able to put yourself in the hurt zone and keep it there for a good 3-4 minutes during a 2k. Added to the fact you need to spend stupid amounts of time doing monotonous training.

If you want to row, join straight away, forget about waiting for the first term, you would have already missed your first term in rowing which is very important for the following reasons - boat selection, increased knowledge, technique work, increase fitness, the list goes on, but I would definitely recommend joining straight away, I joined in week 7 last year and I was definitely disadvantaged because of it.

ReputationRep:
    lol. they could take the whole man u team, American Football is the ideal sport for those thugs :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herleif Arkadios)
    lol. they could take the whole man u team, American Football is the ideal sport for those thugs :rolleyes:
    i think olympic diving would be a more sensible sport for them. preferably synchronized diving. or both. The Netherlands would certainly rise a few places in the medal table!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.