Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    hmm ok, so how would you guys advise I go about getting myself into good shape to start rowing?
    How strong should one be?

I'm also wondering whether I would be able to train during my time at uni, and thus join a team or something after about my first team, how easy is this?

Which one skill or ability, above all others, makes you a great rower?

I'm 6'1 and 10stone, so I need to beef myself up a bit, but how?

Thanks.
    You are a bit skinny so you should aim to be a lightweight rower. Putting on 3 stones would be a terrible idea, I think.

You should compensate for your body mass with endurance and dynamism.

If you took most bodybuilders, a lot would be terrible rowers because they just aren't dynamic enough. There's quite a difference between how you workout and do circuits when you're a rower and when you just want to build muscle. Well, at least, that's the impression I always got. The "effort" during the exercise has to be dynamic and then you go back slowly, a bit like actual rowing.

I'd listen to some of the advice gave you: cardio is a good idea. And if you can't run 4 or 5 miles without killing yourself, then you're not going to be much of a rower.

When I started rowing at 15, I compensated for lack of body mass (well to be honest, at that age, not many of the crew could be considered as "muscly" with endurance as I'd been doing middle and long-distance rowing).

Although to be honest, I don't know that much about the way rowing works at British unis. I've only rowed in separate boatclubs and at a Canadian Uni. Here it seems like they don't really care about technique too much and just look for fit guys, throw them into an 8 and hope that a lot of practice will teach them how to row. Maybe there are some Unis that focus more on sculling. Sculling or lightweight rowing might be better for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    You don't need to worry about being the strongest person around to do rowing....I would completely forget thinking about building up muscle...that will come naturally. The biggest thing you should work on is cardio, up to one hour long sessions of it, with parts which are mentally tough to keep pushing through. Your weight will be fine, commitment is one of the biggest things in rowing if you ask me...you can still do great things while being relatively weak. Take me: when I started rowing I weighed close to 60kg (although i had just gone through a spell of illness avec vomitting)...I was actually told that I might want to consider coxing instead. But I stuck at the rowing, and worked really hard. I'm only 5ft10. And since I started, I have gone from barely able to have the mental strength to finish a 2k, to 7:20, to 7:10 and now I am brushing close to sub 7. And even with those conceivably rubbish times, I still made the first boat. We werent the most consistent first boat in the world, but heck we still had our moments of sheer brilliance...for just over a week back in march we were actually considered the best boat on the river!

So I tell ya, you can think about wanting to get stronger or fitter or whatever, but as long as you have commitment all those things will come naturally!
    Talking about vomitting, that used to happen to me a lot at the end of races and ergs. I think I'm a bit of a weakling. The surprising thing is that my coach used to appreciate it when people were so knackered that they throw up. A lot of coaches are complete sadists.

ReputationRep:
    To find out how many of those Man U, Arsenal, and Chelsea supporters actually come from Arsenal, Manchester or Chelsea.....

People that this doesn't apply to, as they don't saupports the three mentioned teams, need not apply.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Union. League is whack!

ReputationRep:
    when is the nearest match of Bolton Wonders ?
    and with whom?

ReputationRep:
    so according to your question, to support a team you have to live in the area

there are other factors to why people support these teams

training ground locations? family? closest league club?

i find it amusing that you missed out liverpool though, dispite some supporters live half way across the country with little or no ties to the club

ReputationRep:
    And if you move house out of city etc?

Oh and don't get me started about Liverpool fans who live out of the country.

ReputationRep:
    This Sunday against Everton.

ReputationRep:
    I love rugby, ive grown up watching it, and around the game. I have friends who play in the NRL here and I still dont get the game.

ReputationRep:
    Very good!

ReputationRep:
    And when the hell was Arsenal an area of London, i think you mean Islington.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Oh and don't get me started about Liverpool fans who live out of the country.
    Don't see why you're on such a high horse! Foreign support is what your club crave. Chelsea are going the Manchester United plc way - a brand. That said, any successful english club attracts such a following. Face it... Lampard's the new Beckham. I can see the $s (or make that $$$$$$$s) n Kenyon's eyes already. :p:

Btw, I have to say that I see far more MU/Arsenal/Chelsea shirts outside of Manchester/London than I do Liverpool jerseys out of Merseyside - although I fully accept that wool is a factor of our 'fanbase'. I don't necessarily see this as a big problem, and I won't go up to people on the street asking if they've ever been to OT. But I'll have my reservations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuz)
    And when the hell was Arsenal an area of London, i think you mean Islington.
    and technically Chelsea FC is located more in Fulham then Chelsea

ReputationRep:
    and Arsenal are south-east londoners, not north londoners. our true neighbours are Charlton, not Spurs. We managed to get a tube station in Islington named after us though!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Liverpool fan and i come from Wigan. There are two sides to Wigan, the red side and the blue side, the blue being the Latics (football) and the red being the Warriors (ruby league) or Riversiders as we were once known. Being a Warrior almost exclusively means we detest the Latics (though we do acknowledge their success, afterall, it is Wigan) Being a Wiganner means you automatically detest Bolton - the next nearest club. I think the above fully justifies my supporting Liverpool, and its only a short half hour away anyroad...

ReputationRep:
    Support for Man U is a disease back home. In Scotland The best supported football teams are the Old Firm ,who are pretty much equal first, followed by Mancheter United.

ReputationRep:
    arnt channel five showing highlights too now?

ReputationRep:
    Not just coaches, rowers too! I'm never one to throw up during exercise, as I make sure I don't eat too close to going all out One bloke in our boatclub threw up everytime he did anything that built up significant amounts of lactic acid, and he was also the captain and has the fastest erg time in the club, so people generally perceive him to be hardcore and people aspire to being able to push themselves so hard that they puke up. That said, puking has nothing to do with how hard you pushed yourself, more to do with what and when you ate.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno though, despite my best attempts to eat well before doing a 2k or something, I still end up wretching quite badly after them. I havent actually thrown up thanks to rowing, but I have wretched quite a few times!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I've wretched a few times too, worst is when you get the 2k coughes, ever get them? Where you cough like you've been smoking 20 a day for the last 10 years afterwards, I get them quite badly and always get a few close calls in the pukin department when I get them!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.