Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Yeh I've wretched a few times too, worst is when you get the 2k coughes, ever get them? Where you cough like you've been smoking 20 a day for the last 10 years afterwards, I get them quite badly and always get a few close calls in the pukin department when I get them!
    When I did athletics, I used to get them after any middle-distance race. I don't even know what they're due to but they take ages to go away sometimes. As for the vomitting, I don't think it was ever about eating in my case. After most intensive workouts, I'd totally lose it and either feel like fainting and throwing up. For a while I thought I was anemic or something but never found anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    :bawling:
    Looks like it's TMS for me then until we can afford* satellite.

*never
    Sky's contract is only for four years, and with recent form motivating a huge increase in cricket's viewing figures, the ECB are determined to have all home test matches back on terrestrial television as soon as possible. Unless the Sky contract is bought out that will be after the summer of 2009.

I wouldn't write it off for that long just yet though. Coverage that is accesible to all is crucial to the prominence of the sport as a whole. For years the ECB has been desperate to get more kids into cricket, and what better way to inspire them then Freddie Flintoff starring as England take it to the Aussies? The county and sport as a whole cannot afford to miss this opportunity regain the nation's interest in cricket, and that simply will not happen if less than 40% of the population can watch the games.

45 minutes of highlights each day on channel 5 will never draw the 7.6 million that tuned in to watch the end of the Old Trafford test. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were some ECB employees scurrying around looking for a way out of the Sky contact.

And on Stephen Fleming, he's a very very good captain. If you consider the tools at his disposal before judging him on his results, he has done an exceptional job. I don't rate him as the batsman he used to be, but I think he's one of the best captains in world cricket.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I've wretched a few times too, worst is when you get the 2k coughes, ever get them? Where you cough like you've been smoking 20 a day for the last 10 years afterwards, I get them quite badly and always get a few close calls in the pukin department when I get them!
    hell yeah! Although I didnt have that problem the last 2k I did, hopefully my lungs have learnt to cope! But I know what you mean...my supervisor thought I was seriously ill or something with my persistent coughing in a supervision that followed a 2k.

ReputationRep:
    Apparantly its from not warming up properly, not sure though, think your lungs just go through that much trauma, can always taste bloody in my throat afterwards as well.

We're really selling the case of rowing here aren't we? Talk of puking and bleeding internals caused by 2ks, brilliant :p:

ReputationRep:
    That might explain things... I haven't got the best blood circulation so that might be it. Still a bit of mystery...

As for rowing, yeah it's awful. Part of me is glad is more part of the past now. Although it's truly addictive in a way. When you've been practicing regularly, stopping all of a sudden makes you feel empty. A bit like those body builders who become addicted.

ReputationRep:
    i'm thunking about taking up rowage... i'm just shy of 6'1 and about 12 and a half stone, but my power is mainly in my thighs and forearms - currently an ex-badminton player. i reckon i'd need to brush up on general torso strength to be good at rowing though. what kinda training would you use for that? (i never been a gym in my life, even when i was swimming for my town, playing rugby for my high school or badminton for my college)
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Well I haven't been on here since the WCs ended, so I'll say what I think now.

Well done to the 4x400m relay girls and the 4x100m relay boys for their emdlas. And more importnatly to Paula....great race....knew she'd get hat global title one day ...only I wish she'd done it sooner...9 years of nervous race after nervous race she has put me through since Atlanta 96...I couldn't have taken much more.

Also the Finns were some of the high points: that one who broke the pole vault bar and the one who wone the bronze in the long jump.

Hav to say it was the best hepthalon I've ever seen too....shame Kelly Sotherton couldn't get the bonze...but it goes to show one bad event and it can all be over.

Well done to our 400m runner too, especially Tim Benjamin and Robert Tobin. Also, I fell Malachi Davies has gone someway to prove himslef. I wa fairly pleased with his final leg of the 4x400m.

Another highlight was the dominace of the long distance runners from Ethiopia...how do they get so many good runners? Congrats to Tirunesh Dibaba and her sister (can't spell her name though) 2 well deserved gold and bronzes respectively....hopefully I'll see Tirunesh challenge the 5,000m world record in Sheffield this Sunday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    i'm thunking about taking up rowage... i'm just shy of 6'1 and about 12 and a half stone, but my power is mainly in my thighs and forearms - currently an ex-badminton player. i reckon i'd need to brush up on general torso strength to be good at rowing though. what kinda training would you use for that? (i never been a gym in my life, even when i was swimming for my town, playing rugby for my high school or badminton for my college)
    you're talking about core stability probably. Go look up some core stability exercises with google, things like "the plank". Other than that, having a strong back is important, so any exercise that works the back is good! To be honest the most important thing I reckon is stamina, rowing takes it out of you big time, and if you're aerobic fitness isn't up to scratch it just hurts so bad!

ReputationRep:
    Weights are almost a complete waste of time for novices, get on the erg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trouttrout)
    Union. League is whack!
    What an argument! :rolleyes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt touch the erg until he knows how to row properly. That's why I dont suggest erging for complete novices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    i wouldnt touch the erg until he knows how to row properly. That's why I dont suggest erging for complete novices
    Nah going on the erg is ok as long as you hav someone (e.g gym instructor) to show you the correct technique so you don't injure yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I get them after races, especially if I've been racing in the cold air - sounds like I'm choking to death, and sometimes goes on for a couple of days afterwards. I find erging less bad because the air in the boathouse is warmer (read: sweatier and smellier)

The only time I've thrown up is when I rushed to the boathouse after breakfast and had to do 150 squat jumps straight away. I was only a very-recently-ex novice at the time, so it nearly killed me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambridgemuscle)
    I know that at 6' 1'' and 14st 4lbs (as of yesterday) i've not got the kind of build that is optimum for this sport and to be honest i wouldn't want that anyway.
    Sounds about the right sort of build to me :confused:

But then i rowed (and won stuff ) at 5' 9" and 74kgs, so its not all about muscle, technique is just as if not more important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    erg with someone to coach u with the right technique.

but of course water time is far more useful for actual rowing improvements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    rowing is mostly dependent on leg power, the rest of your body is just there to link your legs to the end of the blade.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree actually, stay away from the erg until you're taught how, and don't think that asking a gym instructor is being taught.

Don't really have any suggestions for what you can do then really, try sticking to exercises which invole both the arms and the legs, very few sports do this, so cross-training or swimming, but swimming involves a big element of technique, so wouldn't recommend that.

ReputationRep:
    Gexko- come and row with me at Bristol!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well all three lost on Wednesday although Greg should have really won. Didnt think Murray played well really and nor did Safin for that matter.

News this morning is that Murray wont be getting a wild card into the US Open which means he will have to qualify!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Well all three lost on Wednesday although Greg should have really won. Didnt think Murray played well really and nor did Safin for that matter.

News this morning is that Murray wont be getting a wild card into the US Open which means he will have to qualify!
    He shudn't find it too hard qualifying tho.
    And I thought he played quite well in the 2nd set against Safin, tho Safin was abysmal.

Safin was quality against Hrbarty in the next round, absolutely destroyed him.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.