Archive SPTM/0003/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
JesChum
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by zxczxc)
Plus League is full of Northerners!
And what exactly is wrong with northeners?! Explain please, i'm intrigued to hear your pathetic argument against us.

League is definitely better to watch, at all levels. Union is only good to watch at international level. Being a lady i have never played rugby, but would probably choose league, because there is much more skill involved & all the players need to be extremely fit, unlike in union where u can be a lard-a$$ & still attempt to play.

At the end of the day it's up to u & ur personal choice.
bikerx23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by zaf1986)
Depends how you define allrounder - personally for me its someone who can win a match with bat or ball - or both, and do it consistently.

Imran Khan, Richard Hadlee, Ian Botham, Kapil Dev and Garry Sobers did it. Hence they would be regarded as "true" allrounders.

The advent of ODI cricket has ended all that. Players like Shahid Afridi, Shoaib Malik, Justin Kemp, Andy Symonds, Abdul Razzaq etc - all players capable of a matchwinning innings with the bat or spell with the ball in ODIs, but would struggle to do it at Test level.

The reason Flintoff is regarded the best allrounder in the world is because he is the only allrounder at Test level. Kallis has raced ahead in the batting but very rarely turns his arm over.
Well put...it is rare that a player could get into the test team on either of their skills alone, and it is clear that flintoffs bowling would easily get him in the team as it originally did when his batting was less disciplined...

Someone like collingwood is also a ODI all rounder...his bowling would take significantly fewer wickets if his opponents were not looking to score at every opportunity.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Reloader)
and Arsenal are south-east londoners, not north londoners. our true neighbours are Charlton, not Spurs. We managed to get a tube station in Islington named after us though!
Yeah Woolwich
Gexko
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trouttrout)
To find out how many of those Man U, Arsenal, and Chelsea supporters actually come from Arsenal, Manchester or Chelsea.....
Arsenal isnt a place.

Neway, I have supported Chelsea for about 12 years (i can remember when i started just not when that was if u see what i mean), though i've only really followed football properly for the last 6 years or so, but the point is i'm not from Chelsea, but 1) they were one of the few teams i knew about at the time, 2) they're arent any decent football teams in my area besides oxford united who i do support but you can't watch them on tv, 3) I have an innate hatred of arsenal that has nothing to do with supporting Chelsea or indeed anything at all i can think of, i just hate them.

So, i don't think it matters if you live in an area as to whether you support a big team like Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool etc. but if you're going to support them you should really support you're local team too if there is one, in my opinion.

[RANT]The number of people i hear calling into Five Live about Arsenal or Chelsea who are from Oxford is amazingly disproportionate to the size of the city, which makes me think its a bit of a shame that all these people dont support Oxford, cos then we might be able to get crowds bigger than 5,000 for what is essentially a pretty decent football club with a great history and good prospects for the future.[/RANT]
Gexko
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by fire)
Gexko- come and row with me at Bristol!!!!!!!!!
I don't know about rowing at bristol, might check it out when i get there, but the mens 1st VIII isnt any faster than my school 1st VIII and i wouldnt get in it neway cos im too small and my erg is rubbish (i relied on my awesome technique )

However, there are girls there.....

Hmmmmmm, actually i think i'll row.

Hurray!

[THREAD-HIJACK]Which halls did you go for? What course you doing?[/THREAD-HIJACK]
fire
Report 13 years ago
Wow,can't believe that worked!

cool- i'll be one of those girls then (obviously why i'm trying to get more boys rowing)!

going for Churchill and doing Law...c u in october
~ o ~
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm one of the fortunate ones that lives in the brilliant city of Manchester Not that I think it really matters where you come from (as a fan)
notts
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
is it wrong for me to expect murray to beat everyone he plays apart from federer and roddick?

i guess so
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
i wouldnt touch the erg until he knows how to row properly. That's why I dont suggest erging for complete novices
i've kayaked a fair bit, mainly single-man sea kayaing, but i have done canadian multiman kayaking with rowers rowing alternate side (whatever thats called) but i've never been taught correct technique for rowing, but i suspect i can pick it up quickly enough....
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by notts)
is it wrong for me to expect murray to beat everyone he plays apart from federer and roddick?

i guess so
Against anyone in the top 10 and he'd need a miracle to win imo.
Above that tho he's got every chance.

I reckon he'd beat Henman easy on hard courts now.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Don't really have any suggestions for what you can do then really, try sticking to exercises which invole both the arms and the legs, very few sports do this, so cross-training or swimming, but swimming involves a big element of technique, so wouldn't recommend that.
ahhh. swimming. i swam for 8 years but by aged ten i got bored. my technique is still sound though, even if the body is not as supple as it once was....
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by fernando)
and technically Chelsea FC is located more in Fulham then Chelsea
Yes but does that mean people who reside in Kensington and Knightsbridge can't support Chelsea? :p:

Most people speak of Chelsea FC being in Hammersmith & Fulham but I think it is also correct to call say it resides in the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea.

Now how many of those living in Barnet actually support Barnet and not Arsenal hmmm?
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JesChum)
And what exactly is wrong with northeners?! Explain please, i'm intrigued to hear your pathetic argument against us.
:ditto:
League is definitely better to watch, at all levels. Union is only good to watch at international level. Being a lady i have never played rugby, but would probably choose league, because there is much more skill involved & all the players need to be extremely fit, unlike in union where u can be a lard-a$$ & still attempt to play.
i think skill involved is similar. there might not be the technicalities of rucks and mauls and stuff in league, but the pace at which it is played means in general ball-handling skills and technique are superior to union.
At the end of the day it's up to u & ur personal choice.
:cool:
Meat Loaf Rocks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Union is by far the better sport, especially if you enjoy the physicalities.
Rucking, mauling, lineouts and the like.
The fact is that league was formed due to a breakaway group of union player who wanted to turn professional and get payed. Union wasn't happy with this and therefore imposed some restriction due to the danger of unmonitored rugby. These were no rucks mauls etc.

Also league player tackle like pansies, they hug the opposition and it takes about 3 player to tackle someone.
League players can't pass properly (you watch a league game)

Thank god there are proper men in the world and they play Union

I'm not biased, i promise
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't forget there is hardly a kicking game in League and very few gave the ability to score drop goals and penalties from distances and angles that Union players do.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Meat Loaf Rocks)
Union is by far the better sport, especially if you enjoy the physicalities.
um. i've played both. can't say i agree with you...
Rucking, mauling, lineouts and the like.
oh yes - riveting stuff i must say.
The fact is that league was formed due to a breakaway group of union player who wanted to turn professional and get payed. Union wasn't happy with this and therefore imposed some restriction due to the danger of unmonitored rugby. These were no rucks mauls etc.
don't see the relevance of this but aye well... and its very rose tinted. read this... http://www.rl1895.com/rugby-divide.htm
Also league player tackle like pansies, they hug the opposition and it takes about 3 player to tackle someone.
League players can't pass properly (you watch a league game)
the hardest hits i got were playing league. and playing all pile on like you do in union is seriously naff. ahhh. passing. excuse me and tell me exactly why the rfu paid for farrel to move to union? his vision and distribution skills maybe?
I'm not biased, i promise
me neither :p:
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Reloader)
i think olympic diving would be a more sensible sport for them. preferably synchronized diving. or both.
Arsenal should join them then.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
union...its far superior to watch...

dont want pansy tackles like league.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by technik)
union...its far superior to watch...

dont want pansy tackles like league.
hehe. i got ribbed a lot for being a leaguer when i played union at college, so i always offered them a sample of league tackling. after a while i stopped getting ribbed.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hehe....i do agree that the league method of tackling can be transferred very effectively to union, but the running style isn't always as good...
Both codes are simply fantastic, and although i'm a union boy myself, will definately watch league over football
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads