Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    You think that's not true?

(OK, I didn't come up with that myself, it's filched from another rowing messageboard, but sums it up for me)
    sorry it was in reply to goal posts message which i dont think is true. think rowing is a lot mental and i beat some much bigger girls this year weight and height wise. just wondering if coaches request weight change etc?

ReputationRep:
    They can do, a few of the people in my club were told to "work on strength" or "put on some muscle" but only in extreme cases, and they never told us fatties to lose weight, but told the coxes to, quite strange

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why it matters where folks come from. Pointless poll onlky creates arguements, closed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    union...its far superior to watch...

dont want pansy tackles like league.
    That's funny, when I've watched Union, I've always thought that the players broke far too many takcles compared to League. Also, that argument doesn't tie in with the fact that several League ex-players/coaches went to Union as defensive coaches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Don't forget there is hardly a kicking game in League and very few gave the ability to score drop goals and penalties from distances and angles that Union players do.
    rubbish, theres a lot of variety in the in-play kicking game in league, watch Andrew Johns and I can guarantee he's the best kicker in either code, with the variety and range on his kicking game.

ReputationRep:
    give over mate, I dont go for this bigotry that all league players would romp through and be successes in union, they are different sports. But Joey would kill them in union.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    rubbish, theres a lot of variety in the in-play kicking game in league, watch Andrew Johns and I can guarantee he's the best kicker in either code, with the variety and range on his kicking game.
    you do have a point. the only difference between the kicking in league and union, is that the union boys use it when stuck in their own half as defence. but john's kicking game is excellent, and even players such as sean long, and the now absent andy farrell have excellent kicking games. union have johnny wilkinson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Ah yes also watch Great Britain when they got trashed by Australia. Then again with only one point for a penalty and dop goal (yes league calls it something different) it's not surpising that I don't see many long kicks (over 30 metres).

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes also watch Great Britain when they got trashed by Australia. Then again with only one point for a penalty and dop goal (yes league calls it something different) it's not surpising that I don't see many long kicks (over 30 metres).
    league has the emphasis on strength, speed and ball-handling, and the scoring system means tries are the favoured method of scoring. but just because you dont see 40 yard drop-goals doesnt mean they can't be done - they just arent necessary.
    union has the emphasis on kicking and all-pile-on scenarios, and the scoring system means you can win a game purely by kicking alone. does the fact that tries are rarely scored in union does't mean union attacking play is rubbish? if you say it means defences are better you are sadly misguided; they are jsut different games with different emphases

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    they are jsut different games with different emphases
    Yes I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    union have johnny wilkinson.
    Dan Carter, Stephen Larkham, Andre Pretorius...

ReputationRep:
    Beijing 2008
    Obviously these were bad games for GB,but mark my words,as a competitor in track and field,ive sprinted against people hu are now ranked in the top 2 or 3 in the world,never mind Europe.GB has 7 of the top 10 junior sprinters in Europe and the quickest youth in the world,as well as ridiculously quick 400m runners AND not to mention my great friend Alex Smith hu will win the gold medal for hammer throw at the next olympics im sure,and he's only 17 now.Just watch this space...

ReputationRep:
    10.8 until i damaged my hamstring this year,dammit! Was so lookin forward to running quicker at AAA's, o well.
    Lol ive seen a year 9 run low 11's, now thts stupid!

ReputationRep:
    Neither do I. But Joey simply does not have the skills that the likes of Stephen Larkham, Elton Flately, Julian Huxuly, Matt Giteau and Lauchlan McKay have. Joey is tops at league, ive seen him play in the flesh, but he would not make it in union. Perhaps aftre years of re-habilitation like the likes of Wendell Sailor, Mat Rogers, Lote Tuqiri, Henari Veretau and Brett Sheehan have had to have he would be a contender.

But there is too much class in the halves of union to make any room for him.

Have you seen any rugby lately?

ReputationRep:
    Come on u Springboks! Any 1 see the game today against Australia? Now thts why we is going to win th Tri Nations again,u think Bryan Habana is quick,u havent seen me

ReputationRep:
    I was actually in South Africa. Durban then Pretoria then onto Cape Town before home. I was there at the Henjak incident. I was there at Loftus on the high veldt when The bokke beat my boys, I was there at Newlands when my Bokke beat the All Balcks.

I have lost faith in my Wallabies boys. Hand over ym Bokke jersey!

ReputationRep:
    There is A VERY slim chance that the All Blakcs will win the 3N now. Bokke are too far ahead. Even if the Bokke lose to NZ next week and the week after the Wallabies lose to the All Blacks the Bokke will have it on points becuase they beat the All Balcks in Cape Town.

ReputationRep:
    Dan Carter, Stephen Larkham, Andre Pretorius...
    ... Matt Giteau...Elton Flatley....Jaco Van Der Westuizen...

ReputationRep:
    I went to the match today. Non stop singing for 90 minutes-kids, parents, friends all together. Probably the most enjoyable football I've been to for many years. Fans of both clubs mixed together. I re -l earnt a lot about what footballs really about today.

ReputationRep:
    Odds up for the fourth test on thursday, for you betting folks!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.