Archive SPTM/0003/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
Bokkas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I tried to play Rugby League when I came to Australia and it is a very stupid game to play. I will stick with rugby thanks.
Bokkas
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think its unfair how Victor Matfield is being targeted becuase of a suspect metal plate in his arm. Hes a top fella he is. John Smit also, showed once again he is a wise captain against the Aussies. Used to see him a lot round the sharkies academy.

Springboks to win tri-nations!
Bokkas
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by MrSnail)
Come on u Springboks! Any 1 see the game today against Australia? Now thts why we is going to win th Tri Nations again,u think Bryan Habana is quick,u havent seen me

Where in South Africa are you from?
Zurich
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would consider an all-rounder as anyone whose batting average is higher than their bowling average. I think Warne is easily a talented enough batsman to be considered an all-rounder, and probably would have been throughout his career were he not such an exceptional bowler.
JesChum
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Don't forget there is hardly a kicking game in League and very few gave the ability to score drop goals and penalties from distances and angles that Union players do.

That's because in league the players work harder in order to score more points. they don't go for 'easy' points such as goals & penalties as much. They graft to get their score. This in turn takes more skill. I'm not digging RU, after all the Engalnd RU team trained with Leeds Rhinos. Which i'm sure was a good session for both teams, gaining tips/skills etc
bikerx23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
it is true that the crossover can produce a much more able team, but also the fact that union is more technical means that more kicking for points is needed - it simply isn't all smashing through the line of defence, therefore you see a greater disparity between teams.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mootle)
sorry it was in reply to goal posts message which i dont think is true. think rowing is a lot mental and i beat some much bigger girls this year weight and height wise. just wondering if coaches request weight change etc?
Mine never has apart from to coxes. Obviously if you want to trial lightweights then you'd have to lose lots of weight (average weight 57kg, max 59kg) but I've not heard our coach tell anyone off about their weight.
saintuntilidie
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Bokkas)
I tried to play Rugby League when I came to Australia and it is a very stupid game to play. I will stick with rugby thanks.
This is a typical example of the term 'rugby' being misused, as usually occurs in most channels of the media.

I'll ask the question: since when did the term rugby apply solely to the sport of rugby union? It is this termination that is used by the southern based media- particularly in newspapers such as the daily mail, other broadsheets, and television coverage- which is discriminatory to the game of rugby league. This misuse is seen on programmes on sky sports called: the 'rugby' club, and when international rugby union is advertised as: live international rugby. Whereas rugby league advertises its programmes for what they are: live super league.....

Surely this is a genuine mistake by the producers of the programmes and if this mistake was recognised then it would be corrected??? I think not...
This false advertisement of the product is no mistake. This is a deliberate attempt to gain an unfair advantage over rugby league coverage by generalising the product to neutral viewers as: if its 'rugby'.... its rugby union.

With regards to the fact that rugby union is a bigger international game. This is probably correct. But was this not helped by the fact that the participation of rugby league within the armed forces until recently was prohibited. Surely there was no discrimination by the mainly southern commanded services towards 'working class' rugby league???

Somebody raised the question as to why people such as andrew farrell, iestyn harris, jason robinson, henry paul etc etc, would join rugby union? If anybody is under the impression that it was anything other than to do with the money on offer, then you are very much looking through rugby union tinted spectacles. Due to the fact that the country basically revolves around London (i.e. The south), this is where all major companies are located and due to their rugby union, sorry, 'rugby' bias then there is more money to be invested into the game.

There is also the fact that in order to keep rugby league competitive at a domestic level, there was the implementation of the salary cap, which means that clubs can only pay a maximum amount of money to their squad. And as far as I am aware this does not exist in rugby union. This means that for the money driven league players, if the golden carrot is dangled in front of their eyes then it is very difficult to reject. Thankfully there are still players who withstand the purely financial mite of the union, such as kris radlinski, and keiron cunningham, whom rejected their overtures due to the fact that they had no desire to play union, because they have a love for rugby league.

Until recently it was also prohibited for a union player to return to the game of league (as far as i believe) and players would see themselves literally banned from union grounds due to 'mixing with the commoners'.

In terms of atmosphere, somebody replied with the quote of: theres nothing like the atmosphere at 'twickers' at the powergen cup final. Well that quote speaks for itself in terms of pure naivety, i must say. Granted I am not suggesting that rugby league atmospheres compete with that of a football match, but there can truely be no comparison between league and union atmospheres. league is by far the superior.... in terms of support, passion, songs, chanting, celebration, encouragement, and sheer noise. I am yet to hear any atmosphere at a union game (via a TV admittedly).

When talking about entertainment at a game, then really, i must be watching a totally different game to the rest. This of course is unless you find repeated penalty attempts at goal fascinating? or maybe its attempting a drop goal from the half way line? or maybe it could be watching a scrum drive through the midfield? People say this is skill, fair enough it probably is techinally difficult to get these perfected, but to watch... hardly thrilling. Surely you want to watch players with ball in hand attempting to break the opposition line with deft passes, dummies, spotting a gap to run through etc, not kicking the ball to eachother from eachothers '22, if it was kicking to eachother you want to watch then shouldn't you be watching football..... thats the point: football uses feet, rugby uses handling skills.

Rugby league is one of the most physically demanding sports in the world, in terms of having to keep up with pace and the sheer ground covered through a match. People on here are talking about the ferocity of tackles.... could somebody please answer me the question: how is tackling a player with the ball and putting him on the ground any different in either sports??? I'll answer for you: theres no difference. Or are you suggesting that there are alternative ways to gab a man an throw him to the ground?

I am giving the benefit of the doubt to each person that has voiced their opinion on here that they watch both codes of rugby (at least i watch union on the TV) when they are stating which is best. Because otherwise I'm sorry to hear that you're being sheltered from the best kept secret in world sport: RUGBY LEAGUE

P.S. to the idiot who said that league is full of northerners... what's your point? with comments like that from you (whom using my 'substandard' northern state education, i would guess is from the south) it's probably a bonus that we dont have pompus 'like to think we're better than northerners' fools like you within our honourable game.

Your dreams are our reality
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
anyone watching bbc1 tonite would have seen that even skinny women can play league though - and win at that
saintuntilidie
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bikerx23)
anyone watching bbc1 tonite would have seen that even skinny women can play league though - and win at that
go on... enlighten the rest of us, as to why this is then.....what was this programme?......

Does that mean then, that you need to be physically large and male to exceed in sport? Even if this 'skinny woman' was winning at league as you put it, is this so bad? Are you trying to say that you aren't allowed to excel in a given sport because you are skinny? or maybe you want to extend it to being too small, or different coloured skin???

When you come up with some reasonable mature issues countering my claims in my above post then maybe this topic could be debated further. If you care to read the above post- I haven't made any childlike comments concerning rugby union, but you come and be childish and derogeratory about rugby league, when you have no reason to dislike the sport.

Now if you'd like to back up the statement of why a skinny woman would win at league, im all ears..........
saintuntilidie
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Everdawn)
Have you seen any rugby lately?
I take it you were meant to say: rugby union? Because here's me thinking that there are two codes of 'rugby'? or maybe I'm wrong after all?

In future please determine which code you are talking about.... Nobody has given followers of rugby union the god given right to assume the term rugby union as the primary form of 'rugby'
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
you need to calm yourself down son - there is a said thing called irony, and the people here have had a nice, if tongue in cheek, conversation about the said topic up until now - you have to lighten up.
if your really interested, the said programme was the film "up and under" - the one where samantha janus gets her norks out in the showers.
Also, you would do well not to accuse people of racism - it is a very unkind thing for a start, especially when you have no evidence to base such a postulation on.
Also, if you read the statement that most people would see as satirical on first reading, it claims that "even" a skinny woman.etc., not that this is always the case - exceptions are not the basis for laws.

Also, your points on the media being biased towards union are completely unfounded.
"live super leage" is a definition by the competition, in the same way you see "live super 12's" or "live zurich premiership".etc.
Also, the majority of the country refer to rugby union as "rugby" - for a start it was the original code to be player, therefore is more deserving of the accolade.
You state the southern based media are the cause of this...the reason it is southern based is that more people live in the south - simple really, isn't it.
Your comment on league being louder, despite having not been to a union match is also simply ignorant. you are basing something on guesswork. I admit, league atmospheres are very good, but union is the same - the songs the chanting.etc., you simply dont hear broadcast. I was at the lions game against argentina, and the atmosphere there was louder than any football game i have been to - including a community shield 2 years ago.
The two codes are different in that fact that union involves more technicality, and as a result requires a greater knowledge to spectate, and therefore i believe can potentially derive a greater pleasure from doing so.
The difference in tackling is that in union, you have one guy running at one guy, and he puts him down. league you have one guy running and getting a tackle from 2 or 3 guys.
p.s. the filthy dirty northeners thing - its called another joke, its what people do to derive a laugh - you can tell its meant with tongue in cheek, and as it happens, i went to a state comprehensive in wales, so maybe you should ask for a little more education - either that or just measure and quantify your reasoning.
saintuntilidie
Report 13 years ago
if your really interested, the said programme was the film "up and under" - the one where samantha janus gets her norks out in the showers.
Thats why I asked the question: what was this programme?
Also, you would do well not to accuse people of racism - it is a very unkind thing for a start, especially when you have no evidence to base such a postulation on.
At no point did I accuse anybody of racism. Due to me asking what the programme was, I obviously didn't no that the 'skinny woman' comment was meant as a joke. I said maybe the persons discriminatory views (about skinny women) could extend to other discriminations- for example, race.

Also, your points on the media being biased towards union are completely unfounded.
Since when do opinions need to have evidence? This is merely my stance on this subject. I would suggest that if you are of a differing opinion, then you could read a book written by Ray Gent called 'The Petition', which outlines the media bias that has occured since the breakaway from the union.

"live super leage" is a definition by the competition, in the same way you see "live super 12's" or "live zurich premiership".etc.
I dont disagree with this point. But the fact that some programmes are titled without the term 'union' behind rugby, shouldn't really be allowed. The code of rugby should be defined. for example 'the rugby club'.
You state the southern based media are the cause of this...the reason it is southern based is that more people live in the south - simple really, isn't it.
As a matter of fact it isn't that simple, no. It's southern based because the capital of the country, and the centre of the economy is in the south. Even if there were twice as many people in the north as the south, the capital would still be in the south. Therefore the big firms with the big investment would still be in the south.
Your comment on league being louder, despite having not been to a union match is also simply ignorant. you are basing something on guesswork.
At no point did i suggest that i had attended a rugby union match. I was comparing the atmosphere level as heard via TV- a point which i stated in my original post.
I admit, league atmospheres are very good, but union is the same - the songs the chanting.etc.,
I'll assume that you've been to a domestic league game then and accept your view. But we'll very much have to beg to differ on this point.
I was at the lions game against argentina, and the atmosphere there was louder than any football game i have been to - including a community shield 2 years ago.
You're comparing an international fixture with a meaningless pre season fixture? You obviously haven't been to many football games. NO atmosphere compares with a football match.
The two codes are different in that fact that union involves more technicality, and as a result requires a greater knowledge to spectate, and therefore i believe can potentially derive a greater pleasure from doing so.
For example.......
The difference in tackling is that in union, you have one guy running at one guy, and he puts him down. league you have one guy running and getting a tackle from 2 or 3 guys.
So how does this suggest that the tackles in rugby union are more ferocious and hard hitting than those in rugby league as was previously stated? Surely if there are two or three more tacklers then the tackle is two or three more times tougher?
p.s. the filthy dirty northeners thing - its called another joke, its what people do to derive a laugh - you can tell its meant with tongue in cheek, and as it happens, i went to a state comprehensive in wales, so maybe you should ask for a little more education - either that or just measure and quantify your reasoning.
My reasoning is measured and quantified thankyou very much. It is this reasoning that suggests to me that somebody from the south making a 'joke' about northerners is indeed not a joke.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
At no point did I accuse anybody of racism.
in a matter this serious insinuation and accusation are hardly far apart.

Since when do opinions need to have evidence?
Usually, an opinion is based on personal experience, therefore there is a precedent and facts.

I dont disagree with this point. But the fact that some programmes are titled without the term 'union' behind rugby, shouldn't really be allowed. The code of rugby should be defined. for example 'the rugby club'.
Maybe we should change the name of football to "english football", since this is unfair to american football - it is something called a tradition.

As a matter of fact it isn't that simple, no. It's southern based because the capital of the country, and the centre of the economy is in the south.
and that is because the majority of the population is there

At no point did i suggest that i had attended a rugby union match. I was comparing the atmosphere level as heard via TV- a point which i stated in my original post.
yes, i acknowledged this, and if you look, it was the basis i used for your argument being ridiculous

I'll assume that you've been to a domestic league game then and accept your view. But we'll very much have to beg to differ on this point.
Saints Vs Wigan a couple of years ago - enjoyable day.

You're comparing an international fixture with a meaningless pre season fixture? You obviously haven't been to many football games. NO atmosphere compares with a football match.
You obviously haven't been to the community shield - it is definately more active than a run-of-the-mill footbally match.

So how does this suggest that the tackles in rugby union are more ferocious and hard hitting than those in rugby league as was previously stated? Surely if there are two or three more tacklers then the tackle is two or three more times tougher?
Surely you could also argue that bigger tackles are put in in union because the individual efforts are greater, and there are also larger size disparities....I was just arguing that they were different styles, not different ferocities, countering your claim that all tackling was the same.

My reasoning is measured and quantified thankyou very much. It is this reasoning that suggests to me that somebody from the south making a 'joke' about northerners is indeed not a joke.
Not basing the majority of your hard-forced opinions in fact suggests otherwise.
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Union all way!!! :p:

Which is a bit of a contradiction, btw, considering I cheerlead for a League's team, but so long as I don't actually go for any team in League (except one coz I kinda have to :rolleyes: ) no harm done there :cool:

Go the Brumbies!
danni_bella
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by saintuntilidie)
I take it you were meant to say: rugby union? Because here's me thinking that there are two codes of 'rugby'? or maybe I'm wrong after all?

In future please determine which code you are talking about.... Nobody has given followers of rugby union the god given right to assume the term rugby union as the primary form of 'rugby'
saintuntilidie my friend, when Everdawn talks rugby, you'll find it's almost always about Union :p: :cool:
danni_bella
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bred)
http://in.today.reuters.com/news/New...a-212017-1.xml

Apparently Thorpe may drop the 400m for the 50m at the Commonwealth Games!
:eek: What a slacker! :p: I'm gonna tell crew at work (I work at the AIS as one of the receptionists)

Oh yeah '"He just wants a bit of a break from it" says his coach' :rolleyes:

See that's the thing, you get people with talent, and then they get lazy :p:
danni_bella
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Love it

Although I can't exactly do much atm considering it's still winter where I live plus have about 3000 assignments due :rolleyes:

But it's good when you've got time and right weather, and I can't think of much better than going for a swim in the middle of summer :cool:
danni_bella
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by MrSnail)
Come on u Springboks! Any 1 see the game today against Australia? Now thts why we is going to win th Tri Nations again,u think Bryan Habana is quick,u havent seen me
I did, was in Perth but saw it on TV

I cried *hides head in shame!*

Oh well at least we have our swimmers (go Thorpe! Don't let us down :p: ).
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by saintuntilidie)

oh **** off ill call it whatever i like thanks mate. Here in Aus, its the norm that rugby is called rugby and league is referred to as Rugby league. Screw your head on straight son and take a freaking chill pill or something.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (524)
37.59%
No - but I will (109)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (665)
47.7%

Watched Threads