Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    But Joey simply does not have the skills that the likes of Stephen Larkham, Elton Flately, Julian Huxuly, Matt Giteau and Lauchlan McKay have.

there is too much class in the halves of union to make any room for him.
    Larkham, Flatley, yeah fine players
    Johns is the most complete half in the game, kicking, tackling, passing. He could transfer those skills easily to either code.

But you are going to disagree so fair enough

I'm just glad Johns is coming to Warrington not union

ReputationRep:
    danni bella, who do you cheer for, the Raiders?

ReputationRep:
    Union is probably just called rugby because it was created before league. The term union didn't exist back then and soon after league was created. Then again I can always fuss over league and union commentators calling their respective players great footballers when all they mean is kicking the rugby league/union ball not actually the sport football.

To compare the crowds between league and union I'll watch out for the next world cups for each respective code and see then.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Just found out that the Bartles run a dressage school next to my house *swoons*

ReputationRep:
    here even AFL is referred to as footie. Its very broad.

ReputationRep:
    Rugby League isn't a sport for gents!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella83)
    Oh well at least we have our swimmers (go Thorpe! Don't let us down :p: ).
    And your cricketers.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who went to public school I have a surprising affiliation to Rugby League. As a forward in Union all I ever seemed to do was trundle from scrum to line out. You never saw much ball in hand and I found it boring.

Rugby League is a great game, and as someone previously mentioned anyone who is not aware of the (numerous) attempts to belittle and even destroy it should read "The Petition" by Ray Gent.

Some of the stuff that the various Rugby Union bodies and Union loving press have done in an attempt to damage League are truly dispicable.

Two recent examples of relative minor incidents are as follows -

London V Leeds was recently played as an exhibition match in Perpingan. The president of the local RU club went around discouraging local businesses from displaying posters advertising the game. In a strange set of circumstances someone removed a set of fuses from the scoreboard about an hour before kick off.

The same RU club president also shot himself in the foot by trying to discourage local businesses from sponsoring Les Catalans when they enter Superleague in 2006 - one major sponsor took exception to what he was doing and decided to withdraw sponsorship from the Union team and back the League team.

When the domestic Rugby League competition commenced in Ireland the Irish R.F.U. agreed in a meeting with the Irish R.F.L. that whilst they would not help it's establishment they would not attempt to hinder it.

A few weeks later a letter went out to all Irish Rugby Union clubs advising players not to get involved with the Irish Rugby League. The letter made several untrue claims about the Rugby League setup in Ireland (for example that they did not have the correct insurance) and was basically designed to discourage possible cross coder participation. The letter was sent by the Irish R.F.U. and was designed to hinder the development of Rugby League in the country.

As I say, anyone genuinley interested in such incidents should read "The Petition". Whilst it is a few years old (2001 I think) some of the stuff that it reports on will truly shock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meat Loaf Rocks)
    Union is by far the better sport, especially if you enjoy the physicalities.
    Rucking, mauling, lineouts and the like.
    The fact is that league was formed due to a breakaway group of union player who wanted to turn professional and get payed. Union wasn't happy with this and therefore imposed some restriction due to the danger of unmonitored rugby. These were no rucks mauls etc.

Also league player tackle like pansies, they hug the opposition and it takes about 3 player to tackle someone.
    League players can't pass properly (you watch a league game)

Thank god there are proper men in the world and they play Union

I'm not biased, i promise

I was about to lay into you until I read your last line.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Does anyone here ride in North Yorkshire? I'm looking at buying/loaning a horse in the next couple of months and it would be nice to have someone to ride with.

ReputationRep:
    Johns has been widely acclaimed as the most complete player in either code, fairly evident given that every union supporter was creaming their pants when the ARU tried to sign him.

ReputationRep:
    this thread is getting deep. whats more, i find i'm siding with the Saints fan, which is unheard of for a Warriors fan.

ReputationRep:
    i swam from when i was 2 until when i was 10, swimming for club, town and school and stuff. but then i got the motorsport bug and have rarely been in the pool since...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Does anyone here ride in North Yorkshire? I'm looking at buying/loaning a horse in the next couple of months and it would be nice to have someone to ride with.
    I don't. But my ex-boyfriend's current girlfriend does, I think. Or he might know some people who do. I'll ask.

ReputationRep:
    Well...how abt we all pick the 3 players that cud very well be the key to the ashes...england's key and also substantiate! here's mine

1. Freddie Flintoff - the man's very presence is enough to peeve the aussies. he's deadly with the bat and with the ball....need i say more!
    2. Andrew Strauss - his collapse wud put some pressure on the english line up. i hope he comes good. also he better not get warne get him...that improves warne's confidence like hell.
    3. Steve Harmison - He's confidence personified. but his fiery spell is only backed by jones and flintoff. Giles has got to be more attacking.

so go ahead n pick urs !

ReputationRep:
    You really could write something along those lines about every player in the team.

ReputationRep:
    i wud have ....but then i feel without these 3....england dont stand a chance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire)
    Wow,can't believe that worked!
    Well its not like im any good at anything else :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeh isn't it just! lol! Come on Leeds on Saturday!

ReputationRep:
    Come on you Hull

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.