Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The Geraint Jones issue needs looking at, as he simply isn't an international keeper. In fact England haven't fielded a truly outstanding test class wicket keeper since Jack Russell retired. Steve Rhodes was decent, Alec Stewart was decent, Jones is a disaster. As a batsman his contribution can be valuable (not least his 85 at Trent Bridge) but I could name you at least five better keepers stuck in county cricket.

ReputationRep:
    England won! Would have been funny to see him bat. He would have got some nasty yorkers at his bad ankle...anyway, better be fit for the oval.

ReputationRep:
    Jones' keeping isn't great, no. However, I'd still pick him in place of Read. Chances of Read walking in at 241-5, scoring 85, and supporting Freddie like Jones did? Slim. It's certainly a tough one though. Either pick possible runs and possible missed chances or pick less of a chance of runs but more solid keeping. Seeing as there'll be problems with both, I don't think it's worth disrupting the current team spirit.

ReputationRep:
    You have no idea how I feel as a Hull fan who was there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    leeds played very well
    No, they really didn't. Worst I've seen them for a long time.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    I actually missed the ending bit from where flintoff and Pieterson were batting, but recorded it. But I was worried throughout. I'm sort of glad I missed it and watched it after I knew the score, because I'm not sure how my nerves would have handled it. Am ectatic that we won, but do England have to always do that to us?

ReputationRep:
    England deserved winners but Australia showing how good they still are...

Bring on the Oval...

ReputationRep:
    vNo wonder he used to bat for 2 days solid!
    First man to bat on all five days of a test (Headingley vs Aus 1977)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    21390i4321i9wiosdaksdamkasdmsamk dlsalkm44AFYES!!!!
    Post of the year

Who needs football when there's Ashes cricket on eh? Brilliant stuff again. Deserved victory for England but an excellent fight back from Australia. Superbly played by Lee and of course the living legend, Shane Warne. From a neutral stand-point, I hope the Aussies win at the Oval just for the sake of Warne's efforts this summer, he's just been supreme and also 2-2 would be a fair reflection of the summer I guess.

Boy, what a DVD this series is gonna make

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    I hope the Aussies win at the Oval just for the sake of Warne's efforts this summer, he's just been supreme and also 2-2 would be a fair reflection of the summer I guess.

Not really. I reckon that England have edged it this series, and I reckon that the Aussies would agree that England have played marginally better especially in the last 3 matches. Australia have fought hard and have never given in, but I think that England deserve to be ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    I hope the Aussies win at the Oval just for the sake of Warne's efforts this summer, he's just been supreme and also 2-2 would be a fair reflection of the summer I guess.

If they win at the Oval we draw the series, but that wouldnt be fair for 2 reasons:
    1) we have dominated since the beginning of the 2nd test and should really be 3-1 up now
    2) if the series is drawn the ashes arent shared, the aussies would retain them, and if any team deserves to take them at the end of the series it is definitely england.

Birthday present this year has got to be DVD of the Ashes, so far 3/4 tests have been amongst the greatest of all time. What a series

ReputationRep:
    England have definitely been the better of the two sides ever since Edgbaston, but I have a feeling Australia will pull it off at the Oval, especially if it is the traditional belter...

ReputationRep:
    Hey, lets think a little bit. There is no way England will lose the final test. The groundsmen have 10 days to prepare the Oval pitch and it is guaranteed to be the flattest, slowest pitch in years, thus ensuring the draw. It's gonna be so easy to bat on that the two sides won't get out quickly at all and England can play for a draw. The only thing that might happen is that Australia might lose if they try to force the issue and throw away wickets.

Plus it should be remembered that this test is gonna take place in mid-september so rain will almost certainly have an effect. And the english batmen will take any opportunity they can get their hands on to go off for rain or bad light.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, lets think a little bit. There is no way England will lose the final test. The groundsmen have 10 days to prepare the Oval pitch and it is guaranteed to be the flattest, slowest pitch in years, thus ensuring the draw. It's gonna be so easy to bat on that the two sides won't get out quickly at all and England can play for a draw. The only thing that might happen is that Australia might lose if they try to force the issue and throw away wickets.
    One slight problem: flat wickets, especially if Oval wickets in the past are anything to go by, favour spin. Australia happen to have a certain Mr Shane Warne with 600 wickets to his name who might cause a few problems.

ReputationRep:
    Well that would be a hard feat to repeat now what with these tests lasting 4 days and most matches involving Zimbabwe and Bangladesh finishing on the 4th day aswell. Is 20/20 changing the course of the game and is it probably that the ICC could perhaps shorten the length of test matches to 4 days and so matching the Frizzel Championship. (Maybe the 5thDay could be a reserve in case of Rain or Bad light affecting play (not slow over rates))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fr_browne)
    Well that would be a hard feat to repeat now what with these tests lasting 4 days and most matches involving Zimbabwe and Bangladesh finishing on the 4th day aswell. Is 20/20 changing the course of the game and is it probably that the ICC could perhaps shorten the length of test matches to 4 days and so matching the Frizzel Championship. (Maybe the 5thDay could be a reserve in case of Rain or Bad light affecting play (not slow over rates))
    It would be better for test cricket not to reduce the number of days, but the number of teams - get rid of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, and create a second test "league" - ie. Zim, Ban, Scotland, USA, Kenya, Bermuda, Ireland & the Netherlands. It's nice to give Zimbabwe and Bangladesh a chance, but, despite his seemingly interminable repetition, Boycott is right; when you take all the games against Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and the West Indies out from the English batsmen's average, they sink considerably - look at Bell. A new player, I admit, but
    Vs. W/Indies - scores of 70, 65*,162* - avg 297
    Vs. Australia - scores of 6, 8, 6, 21, 59, 65, 3, 3 - avg 21.375

G Jones
    Vs. W/Indies & NZ - avg 35.9
    Vs. Aus & SA - avg 27.9

The games against poor countries should not be used as merit on which to enter a test team - it would be better to base test squad status on first class county cricket until the weaker teams are removed.

ReputationRep:
    It would be absolutely amazing if Simon Jones somehow got fit for the last test.

ReputationRep:
    do you play for the win or pray for rain and play for a draw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    One slight problem: flat wickets, especially if Oval wickets in the past are anything to go by, favour spin. Australia happen to have a certain Mr Shane Warne with 600 wickets to his name who might cause a few problems.
    They're not gonna favour spin in the first three days which England can use to bat Australia out of the match. England are in no rush. They don't have to score quickly.

ReputationRep:
    well, i dont know , why this is even debatable , because if u look at the stats , as a whole of test AND ODI'S ,and the flat subcontinent pitches they bowled 60% of thier careers on, such as sharjah , its not to difficult at all.

the great waqar and wasim for me, hands down !!!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.