Turn on thread page Beta

Archive SPTM/0003/REC/HPOO watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    BN = British Novice.

I'm a horse rider/owner (as you may have guessed from my name) and am starting to really miss my horse this term at Uni. Think I'll probably try and go home next sat eve so I can ride him sunday morning.

If anyone's bored and wants to see my horse go to: www.hoofbeat.tv
    Sometimes I think I won't miss my horse at all, ebcuas ethen I might meet some nice cheerful horses that won't try and kick me when I walk into their stables and won't try to go backwards at a rapid rate of knots all the time or buck or rear and stuff. But I guess I'll miss him really.
    Your horse is very pretty! My friend used to have a swekbald called Rocky too. We did pairs together

ReputationRep:
    BN = British Novice.

I'm a horse rider/owner (as you may have guessed from my name) and am starting to really miss my horse this term at Uni. Think I'll probably try and go home next sat eve so I can ride him sunday morning.

If anyone's bored and wants to see my horse go to: www.hoofbeat.tv
    Who looks after your horse whilst your at University?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lillith Grimore)
    Currently waiting for this years schedules to come out, cos Jo's going to help me choose some things to enter him for. I'd like to take him to the Novice Workers at Derby County but apparently the course was horrendous last year and hardly anyone got round. I might do some Trailblazers as well, and then I think JO is keen for me to have a go at BN next indoor season
    Go to www.britishshowponysociety.co.uk and you can get schedules for county shows from there by sending a SAE to the address. Go to the shows bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noel)
    Go to www.britishshowponysociety.co.uk and you can get schedules for county shows from there by sending a SAE to the address. Go to the shows bit.
    Wow I might just be able to squeeze into Intermediates as a 158cm Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    BN = British Novice.
    So obvious now you say it, must have been having a particularly blonde moment earlier!!

Your horse is lovely, I've always had a thing about coloureds (although some look uncannily like cows!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noel)
    Who looks after your horse whilst your at University?
    I'm very lucky in that there is a very good equestrian college nearby and they take full liveries as well as working liveries. So he lives there and is ridden/looked after by the staff rather than the students. He's currently being kept ticking over with plenty of hacks and lunging rather than schooling so that he's fit when I go home. Also, the yard is only about 5mins from my parents' offices (10mins from home) so my mum goes and sees him every day and gives him plenty of fuss and love. She's a real animal person, but unfortunately not that knowledgable about horses (she's learnt loads since we got him 5years ago but she's not capable of looking after him on her own, nor does she have the time with work) but the staff that look after him truely care for him as though he's their own which is good to know.

(Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Your horse is lovely, I've always had a thing about coloureds (although some look uncannily like cows!!)
    Thanks. I've always loved coloureds but it wasn't until I was given him as a suprise bday present that I truely fell in love with them. I find they have much broader personalities than bays (not that there's anything wrong with bays!) and he's easy to spot in a field. Regarding cows, he was once called one by someone, which I was a bit offended by! lol

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I've always loved coloureds but it wasn't until I was given him as a suprise bday present that I truely fell in love with them. I find they have much broader personalities than bays (not that there's anything wrong with bays!) and he's easy to spot in a field. Regarding cows, he was once called one by someone, which I was a bit offended by! lol
    Yours looks nothing like a cow, how rude!! Theres one at the local riding school how could easily be mistaken for one though!! He's very cobby with no neck and a hogged mane!!

ReputationRep:
    Yours looks nothing like a cow, how rude!! Theres one at the local riding school how could easily be mistaken for one though!! He's very cobby with no neck and a hogged mane!!
    I like coloured but ones with wall eyes always look a bit odd to me. I love bays, and my old loan horse was a bay. Why does my horse have to be grey? Why? He's evil and he'll roll in the mud on purpose. And then I'll have to wash him again. It's not fair.

ReputationRep:
    I like coloured but ones with wall eyes always look a bit odd to me. I love bays, and my old loan horse was a bay. Why does my horse have to be grey? Why? He's evil and he'll roll in the mud on purpose. And then I'll have to wash him again. It's not fair.
    Lol!! But coloured horses will blatantly only roll on the grey bits rather than the darker bits!!

ReputationRep:
    Lol!! But coloured horses will blatantly only roll on the grey bits rather than the darker bits!!
    I know. But at least they have darker bits. You could pretend they were brown or something if you were really desperate. But Matt is just grey. And whilst he doesn't seem to like getting dirty, he'll do it just to spite me, just see if he doesn't. I need blue shampoo. And blue rinse, like old ladies have,

ReputationRep:
    I know. But at least they have darker bits. You could pretend they were brown or something if you were really desperate. But Matt is just grey. And whilst he doesn't seem to like getting dirty, he'll do it just to spite me, just see if he doesn't. I need blue shampoo. And blue rinse, like old ladies have,
    Lol, sounds like he's got plenty of personality though, and thats always a good thing!!

I love horses with bags of personality!! They're so much more fun!! (apart from when they ditch you in front of a fence!!)

ReputationRep:
    Lol, sounds like he's got plenty of personality though, and thats always a good thing!!

I love horses with bags of personality!! They're so much more fun!! (apart from when they ditch you in front of a fence!!)
    Jo always describes it as 'attitude'. And when talking about Matt, "That horse has an attitude problem". Once you can show him who's boss and he accepts that, he works beautifully, but the acceptance part is currently a daily battle.Once he's sorted, he'll be brilliant thought, he's got bags of energy and a brilliant jumping style.

Having said that, I'd rather a horse had too much personality than too little. My old loan horse, Liam, has been worn down by a continual cycle of beginners and bad riders and just stopped caring in the end. It's really sad.

ReputationRep:
    Having said that, I'd rather a horse had too much personality than too little. My old loan horse, Liam, has been worn down by a continual cycle of beginners and bad riders and just stopped caring in the end. It's really sad.
    Tell me about it, I started riding again over the summer after a 5 year break and have been riding a pony I used to ride 5 years ago. The riding school bought him as an unbroken 4 yr old (they got him from Louella Stud, so he's well bred, but only 13.2 and quite funny looking, strawberry roan, with a very white face) and I rode him all the time (mainly because I was one of the few people who could stay on him!!) he had bags of personality and would have made a brilliant pony with the right rider, but he's been in the riding school for about 7 years now and has stopped caring too. He's got a fantastic jump in him, but just never got to realise his full potential so just does as little as he can get away with now.

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it, I started riding again over the summer after a 5 year break and have been riding a pony I used to ride 5 years ago. The riding school bought him as an unbroken 4 yr old (they got him from Louella Stud, so he's well bred, but only 13.2 and quite funny looking, strawberry roan, with a very white face) and I rode him all the time (mainly because I was one of the few people who could stay on him!!) he had bags of personality and would have made a brilliant pony with the right rider, but he's been in the riding school for about 7 years now and has stopped caring too. He's got a fantastic jump in him, but just never got to realise his full potential so just does as little as he can get away with now.
    I think Liam's had something similar happen to him - when we first had him, 5 years ago, he was really nervous and quite naughty but we calmed him down and for a couple of seasons he was brilliant, really enthusiastic and jumping well and he won loads of classes and stuff. But in the past year, he's got slower and slower and more and more resentful and I was getting upset becuase I was having to chase him the whole time to actually get anything done. I do regret giving him up to buy Matt in some ways, becuase all he's used for now is beginner lessons, or like yesterday, when someone's not quite up to scratch for the lesson they're in and needs looking after.

ReputationRep:
    I think Liam's had something similar happen to him - when we first had him, 5 years ago, he was really nervous and quite naughty but we calmed him down and for a couple of seasons he was brilliant, really enthusiastic and jumping well and he won loads of classes and stuff. But in the past year, he's got slower and slower and more and more resentful and I was getting upset becuase I was having to chase him the whole time to actually get anything done. I do regret giving him up to buy Matt in some ways, becuase all he's used for now is beginner lessons, or like yesterday, when someone's not quite up to scratch for the lesson they're in and needs looking after.
    I wish I was rich so I could buy lots of ponies to look after, it'd be great!! Maybe when I wn the lottery!!

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was rich so I could buy lots of ponies to look after, it'd be great!! Maybe when I wn the lottery!!
    When I was 8 or so my friend and I decided when we were older we were going to have a herd of rescued horses and look after them all in the grounds of our castle (she was going to be a best-selling author and I was going to be something very well paid). Well... maybe not, but when I'm older, I'd certainly like to offer a home to a rescue horse if I can, as a riding horse or a field companion or something.
    I always find going to auctions hard. there's one every month in Derby and it's a good place to pick up reasonably priced equipment but it always wrenches my heart to see all the poor unwanted horses. When I actually have money of my own, I'll have to not go or I'll buy them all!!

ReputationRep:
    When I was 8 or so my friend and I decided when we were older we were going to have a herd of rescued horses and look after them all in the grounds of our castle (she was going to be a best-selling author and I was going to be something very well paid). Well... maybe not, but when I'm older, I'd certainly like to offer a home to a rescue horse if I can, as a riding horse or a field companion or something.
    I always find going to auctions hard. there's one every month in Derby and it's a good place to pick up reasonably priced equipment but it always wrenches my heart to see all the poor unwanted horses. When I actually have money of my own, I'll have to not go or I'll buy them all!!
    I've been to a couple of auctions and have had to be really restrained!! I'm always tempted to steal the ponies left at the side of the road on the way to work as well!!

Where abouts in Derbyshire are you?

ReputationRep:
    I've been to a couple of auctions and have had to be really restrained!! I'm always tempted to steal the ponies left at the side of the road on the way to work as well!!

Where abouts in Derbyshire are you?
    I actually live right on the staffordshire side of the staffs/derbyhire border - the river wihch divides the two runs round my village. In fact it's so close that i live in Staffordshire and Matt lives in Derbyshire but it's only a 5 minute drive

ReputationRep:
    I actually live right on the staffordshire side of the staffs/derbyhire border - the river wihch divides the two runs round my village. In fact it's so close that i live in Staffordshire and Matt lives in Derbyshire but it's only a 5 minute drive
    Lol!! Sort of Burton way then? (my geography is poor!!)

Nearly the weekend, yay!! Thats the sucky thing about riding schools, I only get to go once a week, the weekend doesn't come quick enough!!

ReputationRep:
    Lol!! Sort of Burton way then? (my geography is poor!!)

Nearly the weekend, yay!! Thats the sucky thing about riding schools, I only get to go once a week, the weekend doesn't come quick enough!!
    Your geography is apparently exceptional, Burton is the nearest town and is about 3 miles or so away!! I hate Burton. It smells really bad. It's rated as one of the worst places to live in the whole country. Yay.

I love the weekend too - it means more time spent dodging flying hooves! I go down to the yard 3 or 4 times a week in termt ime, and try to go every day in the holidays. Matt needs as much work as possible becuase he really enoys it and he's less likely to try and amuse himself by damaging you if he's tired But I remember what it was like only having one lesson a week - it's really annoying when you want to be riding all the time. But it's better than not riding at all I spose. I once met some kids who could only afford to ave a lesson once a month but they loved it so much they did that and made the best of it. Poor them!

Actually I can't go up this holiday, which is really annoying. Just before we bought Matt my parents booked us a week's skiing. But I can't ski! I can ride a horse already...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.