The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
The one thing which I would say counts against Moody is his tendency to give away too many pens. Apart from that I would start with Hill, Corry, Moody, although I would have liked LD instead of the Donkey Corry!
Reply 581
Yes...someone else knows who the donkey is!
I dont think moody really gives away that many pens....i mean, everyone things thompson cant throw in, but statistically he is as good as the rest - tis the same thing with moody - unlike martin johnson who really did give away more penalties than it should be possible to....
i think if taylor gets fit again we could see him in maybe the second or third test instead of corry...the sad thing is there aren't enough inspirational players like LD at number 8
I love Simon Taylor! He is tops. Go Simon!
Reply 583
God what a Maori team! Maybe this result might kick the Lions up the arse!
Reply 584
I think Moody is the best bet at 7 to put McCaw under pressure. Also, we all know what he does from restarts and one bad point about the All Blacks against Fiji was the lock Ali Williams (I think) was losing some catches from the restart, which Moody would be all over.
Reply 585
hossy
Owen is just not a test player. I agree with your point about JW being snubbed, the welsh might get upset if a better english player went instead of a worse welsh player!

I'm Welsh and I definitely think Worsley is the better player and should be going, I would have selected him in the 1st place. We need a physical player like him to sort out this problem around the breakdown area. He also puts in some great low tackles and regularly breaks over the gain line, as he showed in the Zurich Prem Final for Wasps where he was outstanding. Not sure what Ryan Jones has over him really.
Reply 586
WOW!!! We have a welsh guy with brains, just like it says on the shirt!
Reply 587
I think it shows that SCW already has his team sorted in that area...so might aswell keep the welsh happy by bringing another one of them in for the mid week team.
Now...i know i said corry was a donkey, but can michael owen run at all? even the quick taps looked like he was just plodding towards the opponents line, and hardly looked ready to break it.
The Maori played well though - truly deserved the win.
I would truly love to see moody make 7 for the tests, but i think the likelihood is back will get there...but moody's flare and the pace and commitment he adds to the game is extraordinary - in the first 20 minutes of some games it is predicted he takes half the tackles - that is world class if i ever saw it.
Reply 588
Thompson cannot be the Test hooker, his dodgy lineout throwing hurt the Lions badly against the Maori. People say he is the best hooker in the loose, but I would rather a hooker who hits his man 90% of his time, ie Shane Byrne. What do you think?
Reply 589
Shane byrne didn't look that good when he came on either though...remember that one that he just threw to no one?
Sadly...none of the hooker's throwing in has been of a good standard so far...so maybe we should just leave the decision with the coaches - they hopefully will be training thompson up on his throwing in.
Although, titteral is the best hooker in the open, and i believe his opposite number is also one of the smaller "new breed" hookers....might be worth considering...
Reply 590
Byrne is quite good in all areas I think, unlike Thompson. Mealamu or Oliver will out perform any of the Lions possible hookers anyway. My key positons for the Tests will come at 2, 8, 10, 12, 15. Of which I think the All Blacks have the better in every place?!
Reply 591
Well - 2, yea they do....
8 - if simon taylor came back maybe we could challenge...and if corry really steps up....
10 - wilko or hodgson have the running and attacking abilities to challenge NZ, and those two and jones are good in defense. So, although carter is said to be on amazing form, it may not be as one-sided as predicted.
12 - Why exactly? we can easily get someone steady in defense at that point...and although there has not been an "ideal package" show up...i dont believe this will be a long term problem.
15 - lewsey will destroy miluana
Haven't you thought 7 though? someone to challenge McCaw - williams couldn't cope with holah today - who is a big step below mccaw...so who have we got to really challenge there?
I remember when Houston swept in Orlando when Shaq was there. It was almost boring. The 7 game series with the Knicks was very exciting!!!

Does anyone know what channel the games come one here in London? Probably Sky Sports (which I don't have)
Reply 593
:mad: I had my riding lesson earlier, and we were jumping. I know that the exercise we were doing was supposed to be about control and keeping an even pace etc rather than height, but if would have been nice to jump slightly higher than 18 inches. It was almost embarrassing when the liveries were using the school after and a little beginner on a 12.2 pony was flying over the same fences we'd just been putting a couple of 17.2's over. I swear our horses thought we were taking the mick when we pointed them at it, no wonder they hardly bothered, it didn't really seem worth it.

Anyway, thats my rant for he week over. :mad:
Who's Michael Jordan?
Reply 595
:eek: *shakes head*
PadFoot90
:eek: *shakes head*

I was kidding. :smile:
Reply 597
*Sigh of relief* :p:
wizard
I was kidding. :smile:

But to be honest, he never did impress me. He may well have won 6 or whatever Championships...he wasn't exactly the main man though was he?
A team effort way over the individual presence and performance of the 'great man' - over-egged my verdict. :eek:
Who's the joker? :rolleyes:

Latest