Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suziestone*****)
    Deleted.
    commoner: a person who is neither Soverign or Nobleman. so in England, that be at least 55.9 million of the 56 million... so a sport that appeals to over 99% of the population is only good yes? And whats wrong with Wigan or St. Helens? and i'm sorry but you find chavs at football and union games - not real mens games.. so there are few Chav league suporters.
    (Original post by suziestone*****)
    Deleted.
    I beg to differ. i find league more challenging than Union, but that may just be me finding Union a doddle to play and not gaining any satisfaction playing it. but, since when is the defining criteria of a game how many brains it uses? games are to relax. if i wanted to use my brain, i'd do ancient greek or something.

(Original post by Zurich)
    Possibly the biggest heap of tripe I've ever read in my life. You have absolutely no idea about cricket.

He averaged 60 in the last two years of test cricket, and spent his entire career proving that he was the one to be relied upon when everything around him collapsed. His 119 not out at Bridgetown last year was one of the greatest innings ever played to single-handedly keep your team going.

He spent most of his career batting in a pretty poor side that was usually chasing huge totals, or falling apart under the pressure of having to bat for two days to save another match.

Graham Thorpe is quite simply one of the best batsmen ever to play for England, as has shown more resilience and strength of character than Ian Bell could ever dream of.
    No, I don't think Thorpe is a good idea at all.

Maybe Thorpe would do well, and win this match, but what happens when he's retired and all we have left is an inexperienced Bell?

One of the main reasons that we're beating the Aussies this series is that we're using new players whilst Australia can only use their golden oldies like Warne. When he retired soon they'll be in deep trouble, that's clear.

Bell is quite young still, and against any other team he'd do better, all of our players would. They're being thrown right into the deep end here and by getting through this they'll be much wiser, this will be the biggest series of their career maybe, and at a young age that's vital to shape their career. On Thorpe it would be wasted.

Basically you'll be pleased in years to come when Thorpes sitting at home watching Bell get as high an average as he ever had.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately i didnt manage to watch this game, wish i had of done tho by the sounds of it.

ReputationRep:
    Agassi should win in 4 i reckon.

Great first set by Dementieva against Pierce in the Semis! Taken 6-3 by 2 breaks. Dementieva is playin some beautiful shots! Even her serving has been pretty good!
    C'MON Elena! About time you won a grand slam!

ReputationRep:
    Tomorrow is going to be such a great day of tennis! :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lillith Grimore)
    We all seem to have disappeared My latest achivement is getting Matt to load at the first time of asking - 9 months ago it took 3 people 2 hours to get him on a lorry. He's a clever boy I'm going to blenhiem tomorrow too, woohoo!!
    Oooh, very cool!!

I'm still here, just hasn't been much happening Hopefully booking Olympia tickets this weekend though, yay!!

ReputationRep:
    Is this a sexual question?

I took horsebackriding lessons for 1 to 2 years though; however a monkey could ride a horse. It's not really a sport in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlyPie)
    Is this a sexual question?

I took horsebackriding lessons for 1 to 2 years though; however a monkey could ride a horse. It's not really a sport in my opinion.
    Yet another person who clearly never did it properly :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Dementieva has fallen apart ='( Her Serve has completly deserted her now! ='(
    Pierce almost definetly through to the final... 4-1 up in the third. (stopped watching )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    Or maybe a monkey who learned to type!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)

I rode the Western saddle...the proper one. And frankly wow, clench my legs, "tsk tsk with my mouth", and directing the lead is all I learned. Oh, and when it gallops stand up...it's not that hard.

As for the other poster, no..I'm a trained ape, not monkey, getting a degree at an excellent university....

ReputationRep:
    I live in the south of France but I sail during the summer (while I'm back in England) and my Dad's gonna buy some boats so soon I'll be able to sail here too :-D
    do any of you sail in France?

ReputationRep:
    Aww Sharapova is a set down!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlyPie)
    As for the other poster, no..I'm a trained ape, not monkey, getting a degree at an excellent university....
    Good for you. So are me and the other mokeys in the thread.

OK, so maybe Western is easy but English isn't!! (Or maybe I've just been doing it wrong for 11 years, who knows)

ReputationRep:
    Come on Maria!!!

ReputationRep:
    just cos u wanna see her bend over in the final !!

ReputationRep:
    INcredible stuff!!

Shara was 0-40 down in the 2nd set at 5-6 down. Saved 5 match points in that service game and then wins the tie break!! 1 set all!! GET IN!

ReputationRep:
    nah - wouldnt have thought so - i see most people as potential snowboarders anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    No, I don't think Thorpe is a good idea at all.

Maybe Thorpe would do well, and win this match, but what happens when he's retired and all we have left is an inexperienced Bell?

One of the main reasons that we're beating the Aussies this series is that we're using new players whilst Australia can only use their golden oldies like Warne. When he retired soon they'll be in deep trouble, that's clear.

Bell is quite young still, and against any other team he'd do better, all of our players would. They're being thrown right into the deep end here and by getting through this they'll be much wiser, this will be the biggest series of their career maybe, and at a young age that's vital to shape their career. On Thorpe it would be wasted.

Basically you'll be pleased in years to come when Thorpes sitting at home watching Bell get as high an average as he ever had.

Firstly, Ian Bell's average will never be anywhere near Graham Thorpe's. That is because he is not nearly as good a player. A superbly talented batsman, yes. But he doesn't have the mental strength of Thorpe. If you look at all the best batting averages in the world, you will see that mental strength is the key. (That is because averages are slightly unrealistic and tell you more about how big a batsman's big scores are than how reliable a batsman he is.)

Secondly, I didn't say I thought Thorpe should have played in this series.

Thirdly, it's all very well giving young players experience - they all need it. But with the interests of the team in mind, there are better places to give an inexperienced batsman a slot in the middle order than in the closest Ashes series in memory. The series will probably be decided on one person's performance and you won't find anyone in cricket that would trade a proven winner for an inexperienced, unproven batsmen who is out of form. It's better for the team if every young, inexperienced cricketer gets some practice against "lesser" test opposition. Of course it's better for Bell to start with the Aussies, and he'll be all the better for it next time we play them. But I don't care about Ian Bell, I care about what's best for the team.

Of course Bell is a better prospect for the future than Thorpe, he's almost 15 years younger. Would you support dropping Andy Flintoff and playing some 12 year old because he will be the future when Freddie retires? No, of course you wouldn't.

There will come a time when Ian Bell is more deserving of a place in a current test team than Graham Thorpe, and it will come very very soon. But Thorpe was a better choice for this series, he should have been picked, and anyone that knows what they're talking about knows it.

Are you seriously telling me that Graham Thorpe would have scored less than 171 runs in 9 innings at an average of less than 19? Because if you are, you're in the wrong thread.

Planning for the future is vital, and every team needs to do it. But an Ashes series is not a time for the future, an Ashes series is a time for now.

(Original post by Zurich)
    Firstly, Ian Bell's average will never be anywhere near Graham Thorpe's. That is because he is not nearly as good a player. A superbly talented batsman, yes. But he doesn't have the mental strength of Thorpe. If you look at all the best batting averages in the world, you will see that mental strength is the key. (That is because averages are slightly unrealistic and tell you more about how big a batsman's big scores are than how reliable a batsman he is.)

Secondly, I didn't say I thought Thorpe should have played in this series.

Thirdly, it's all very well giving young players experience - they all need it. But with the interests of the team in mind, there are better places to give an inexperienced batsman a slot in the middle order than in the closest Ashes series in memory. The series will probably be decided on one person's performance and you won't find anyone in cricket that would trade a proven winner for an inexperienced, unproven batsmen who is out of form. It's better for the team if every young, inexperienced cricketer gets some practice against "lesser" test opposition. Of course it's better for Bell to start with the Aussies, and he'll be all the better for it next time we play them. But I don't care about Ian Bell, I care about what's best for the team.

Of course Bell is a better prospect for the future than Thorpe, he's almost 15 years younger. Would you support dropping Andy Flintoff and playing some 12 year old because he will be the future when Freddie retires? No, of course you wouldn't.

There will come a time when Ian Bell is more deserving of a place in a current test team than Graham Thorpe, and it will come very very soon. But Thorpe was a better choice for this series, he should have been picked, and anyone that knows what they're talking about knows it.

Are you seriously telling me that Graham Thorpe would have scored less than 171 runs in 9 innings at an average of less than 19? Because if you are, you're in the wrong thread.

Planning for the future is vital, and every team needs to do it. But an Ashes series is not a time for the future, and Ashes series is a time for now.
    Yeah, you know much better then the people who select the squad.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.