Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    bad light and now a slight drizzle!

ReputationRep:
    Bad light, and 7-1.....hmmmmm

Has anyone entertained the idea of match fixing yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    What a good decision to offer the light. Izzy, what bloody team are you supporting anyway? Take your stupid "I only lose if it's a draw" bets and stick them up your arse. This isn't about you making money, it's about England winning The Ashes.
    **** you. I didnt bet. What a loser you are. Get lost.
    It is obvious that this is just sooo unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HTale)
    Bad light, and 7-1.....hmmmmm

Has anyone entertained the idea of match fixing yet?
    yeh. if you look up you'll see my Acme badlight torch in place of the sun...

ReputationRep:
    It's getting increasingly difficult for Australia to win this. Will take a hell of an effort.

ReputationRep:
    Just watching this "The real Mcrae" programme that's on, and was reminded that I haven't heard anything on Richard Burns for a while. Never really liked the guy, but last I heard, he had some sort of brain tumour or cancer, thus he wasn't rallying. Does anyone know if he's survived/is recovering or generally what's been happening to him? Google's not turning up any news on him...

ReputationRep:
    Play in 4mins....thank the cricketing lord!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    **** you. I didnt bet. What a loser you are. Get lost.
    It is obvious that this is just sooo unfair.
    Like it was unfair when bad weather/light caused us only to get a draw at Old Trafford in a game we would otherwise easily have won? Look, it's not amazingly entertaining for anyone, but bear in mind that the Aussies have in total lost a good couple of hours play yesterday and the day before by taking the bad light when offered. That was their choice. Why should England risk being bowled out in conditions which clearly are not favourable to batting. Judging by the fact that Ponting took the bad light at a time when it seemed pretty foolish to do so (especially Friday night) I think there's no reason to criticise England for doing it. The series has been amazing and England can do whatever is within the rules to win it.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: They've all got on sunglasses!

ReputationRep:
    loving the sun glasses:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    ENGERRLANDDDD !!!
    this is almost as good as an ind-pak match

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaeda)
    ENGERRLANDDDD !!!
    this is almost as good as an ind-pak match
    Having watched the Ind-Pak matches on TV whilst I was in India earlier this year I can categorically say that this is better. :p:

ReputationRep:
    yea i was wondering whats happened to him too.

i mean ever since mitsubishi dropped of the rally scene ive not really kept in touch with the rally scene but yea wheres richard gone. he was a good driver though.

mcrae comming back in a skoda. is this mcrae making a come back or is it just to bring back a few memories for him and to promote skoda.

ReputationRep:
    Khan is a class talent, he's got a long way to come but he could make it.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't see the Calazage fight, was it any good?

ReputationRep:
    baz care had won 9/25 fights. hardly impressive oppoenent, but kahn's time should come...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suziestone*****)
    Oxonians: Unite against this *******isation of Webb-Ellis' wonderful game.
    The Rugby Football Union's (RFU) much revered tale of how in 1823 the young Rugby School student, William Webb Ellis, "in a fine disregard for the rules" picked up the ball and ran with it in a defining moment in sports history is now accepted by sports historians as being fanciful and a gross distortion of what is known.

There is no doubt that Ellis was a student at Rugby School from 1816 to 1825, but he was never mentioned by anyone as having done the actual deed ascribed to him. The first reference to Ellis appeared in a Rugby School magazine in 1875 (four years after Ellis' death) by an Old Rugbeian, M. Bloxham, who was endeavouring to refute claims that rugby was an ancient game.

Bloxham's story has always been in doubt because of the time that had passed since Ellis supposedly ran with the ball. Bloxham himself wasn't there and no living person could corroborate his version of events. In addition, examination of existing records and documented recollections does not show that the Rugby game dramatically changed after one event (i.e. Ellis or anyone else deciding to run with the ball).

Handling the ball was permitted in football in the early 1800's when players were allowed to take a mark and then a free kick, long before Ellis arrived at Rugby. In fact, most of the public schools allowed forms of handling the ball right up until the formation of the Football Association in the 1860's. The Association even considered whether to allow its continuation, before eventually deciding to outlaw it. The reverse picture that the RFU has painted that the rugby game was born from soccer the moment Ellis picked up the ball and ran with it is clearly, even with very little examination, false.

So rugby league isn't a *******isation of union, which isn't a *******isation of football. League and Union were formed from the same parent game, which was neither Union or League as we now know them, but the original ball game, which included kicking and handling. football as we know it today was this parent ball game but with handling outlawed by a newly formed FA in 1860, which broke away away from the original ball game.

And for the record, the official rugby rules were formally set in 1862, so the original game died out and split into football and rugby. And most of the founder clubs of this original rugby game are the ones that broke away to found what is now rugby league in 1895.

I think its safe to say we can say this whole union/league/footy debate is over

ReputationRep:
    Christ this is pathetic! Michael Clarke is more likely to injure himself than an English batsman.

ReputationRep:
    It's a joke.

I'd rather watch a GAME then see the match end on a sour decision.

ReputationRep:
    the commentators are getting tetchy. lol.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.