Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    He wouldn't come back if he didn't think he could beat Ulrich and co.!

ReputationRep:
    From Football365.com

Evil Glenda's Words Of Wisdom
    Glenn McGrath on the Ashes scoreline:
    "I think I was saying 3-0 or 4-0 about 12 months ago, thinking there might be a bit of rain around. But with the weather as it is at the moment, I have to say 5-0."

Glenn McGrath on keeping the Poms down:
    "To me body language is the biggest key, and that is one thing Australia does so well. During the last two one-dayers it was quite obvious to see that England's body language has dropped - it was terrible. That to me is a sign that it won't take much to get on top of them for it to really quieten down.

Glenn McGrath on why he's so confident:
    "Deep down, they don't really believe they can beat us,"

Glenn McGrath on working out Kevin Pietersen:
    "It has been good to see Pietersen before the Test match. The way he plays, I think he is very much suited to the one-day game. we have seen a few things in the last few weeks to enable us to make a plan up of how to bowl to him that we think will be quite successful this summer. It's been good to see how he bats.I am sure we will work out where he doesn't like hitting the ball and try to keep it there. We have picked up a few things in the one-dayers, certain shots he plays, and I think we've got a pretty good gameplan ready to go from what we have seen."

Er, 150 was it, Glenda?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    In true Mark Nicholas style, what was everyone's moment of the Ashes '05?

I personally really enjoyed watching Freddie Flintoff's partnership with tailender Simon Jones, 2nd innings at Edgbaston. England had a typical top order batting collapse, and S. Jones came in at 131-9. Just loved the crowd roar everytime Jones blocked Warne sucessfully, and then the ecstacy when Freddie stroked a few sixes into the stands, despite carrying an arm injury. Quality.
    Warne congratulating KP yesterday.
    Harmison's spell on the first morning at Lord's
    Aussie players coming out in shades at the Oval was genius
    Warne's delivery which bowled out Strauss at Edgbaston 2nd innings
    Flintoff's "magic over" to Ponting at Old Trafford.

And best of all imo, Pigeon's spell at Lord's - possibly the best spell of bowling I've ever seen (Ambrose several years ago at the WACA up there too). McGrath was booed when he came out to bat in the first innings but left the pitch at the close of play to a standing ovation. Immense cricketer.

Does anyone think the bus parade and stuff is a bit OTT? Don't get me wrong, it's been a magical summer and England fully deserve the praise they get but it's one series and the Ashes will be back on tele in 15 months time. And England have had an excellent side for some time now yet received a fraction of the attention (obviously). But it was good anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Pah! All these fairweather fans. Probably the same dregs from the RWC.

ReputationRep:
    I have tried to watch it. I have really tried. I just dont get it.

ReputationRep:
    Come on you Mighty Crows!!

ReputationRep:
    I've never really understood league because the game just doesn't flow. All it seems to me is that the team get the ball and run at the oppostion, do this 5 times then kick the ball, I can't see the skill in it.

At least with union, once a tackles gone in the game carrys on producing a more interesting game to watch.

I play union, so yes maybe I'm bias but aren't we all in our own way! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    and those who watched wonderman murphy win the world champs snooker...

ReputationRep:
    I think it was perhaps a nice touch to have the bus parade through London, but wouldn't it have been nice to have the Women's team there too, since they won their version of the Ashes too?

T'was a good series for people to watch as an intro to cricket though IMHO, good sportsmanship and excellent fielding and batting from both sides.

ReputationRep:
    They were there for part. All in all, a fine performance. Wonder how many will be watching against Pakistan though.

(Original post by CW Esq)
    They were there for part. All in all, a fine performance. Wonder how many will be watching against Pakistan though.
    Will it be on sky?

I'll watch it, if it wasn't for the ashes I doubt I would have...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BexTait)
    I think it was perhaps a nice touch to have the bus parade through London, but wouldn't it have been nice to have the Women's team there too, since they won their version of the Ashes too?
    The Women's team was there though! They were on the second bus, and came out onto the podium and were interviewed by David Gower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BexTait)

T'was a good series for people to watch as an intro to cricket though IMHO, good sportsmanship and excellent fielding and batting from both sides.
    they were there werent they? on the bus behind i think.

ReputationRep:
    yeah the women were on the other bus.
    pity we only got 75,000 on the streets whereas the rugby world cup got 700,000 fans cheering them home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Will it be on sky?

I'll watch it, if it wasn't for the ashes I doubt I would have...
    It should be on Sky. Wonder who will win the six hitting contest :p:

The contenders:
    Shahid Afridi (record for the most sixes ever hit in ODI cricket)
    Kevin Pietersen (we all know what he can do)
    Andy Flintoff (he hits 'em hard)
    Abdul Razzaq (wonder if ever returns to his baseball mode)

ReputationRep:
    I've realised that they were there now, just the bits I caught of it live I thought they were, but those around me said no, plus there was no mention in the news on telly until the 6pm one of what I watched.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaeda)
    pity we only got 75,000 on the streets whereas the rugby world cup got 700,000 fans cheering them home
    Hmm, well I'm not going to complain at 75,000!
    Heroes. I will remember Monday 12th September for the rest of my life.

ReputationRep:
    Bit late I know but I'll say it anyway. Congratulations England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenmuzz)
    It's so hard to tell when people are being sarcastic when they are typing.... I hope you are being, for his sake. That would be awful.
    I wish I was, unfortunately it's true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaeda)
    Liverpool got about that many after the Champions league win too :cool: which shows cricket still has a bit to go in terms of long term popularity.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.