Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    I don't get some of the hysteria to be honest. Yes Australia are/were an awesome team and got outplayed this summer but England came 1st in a two horse race that takes place every 2 years (often less). Vaughan, Flintoff, Pietersen et al. have great careers ahead of them and I'm sure will win the ashes again, probably on more than one occasion. People are going on as if it's a once in a lifetime opportunity like a world cup and I've even heard it being suggested it was england's greatest sporting triumph?!
    if winning the ashes is that easy, how come its been 18 years since we last had them. a fair few great english cricketers havent won the ashes, or even come close.

ReputationRep:
    Where did I say it was easy? I appreciate it's a wonderful achievement but one they will probably replicate, maybe as early as 15 months time. I don't begrudge the celebrations, got nothing against them but yesterday was all very surreal I felt.

CAn't wait to see the celebrations if England win the footy world cup aswell :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella83)
    Incredibly curious as to find out who supports who in the AFL on this forum. K I'm not really, lol, but I haven't seen any threads on it, so thought I'd start one up!

Noticed a few West Coast and Dockers supporters

DB_x
    Titled changed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Where did I say it was easy? I appreciate it's a wonderful achievement but one they will probably replicate, maybe as early as 15 months time. I don't begrudge the celebrations, got nothing against them but yesterday was all very surreal I felt.
    It's not so much the fact that we won them as the fact that Australia have been knocking us down for as long as I can remember. A classic case of the underdogs winning, hence the excitement
    CAn't wait to see the celebrations if England win the footy world cup aswell :eek:
    I'll be excited if we even qualify...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    o_____O
    I didn't mean you! I was referring to those primary school kids who always get on my local news for proclaiming their allegiance to the great sport that is cricket even though they don't have a clue what it's all about.

I should know, I'm a grown-up version of them :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    He's got a long way to go before he can get anywhere near Imran Khan, so lets not jinx it

Having said that, hes the best allrounder in Test cricket, because he is the only player worthy of being called a Test class allrounder.
    And what about Jaques Kallis

ReputationRep:
    i've preordered this:yy: along with the edgbaston dvd! it's being sent to my soon-to-be address at uni!

ReputationRep:
    hiya...i wanna try out Kendo, looks like fun and i have always been interested in sword fighting. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve-j)
    I've never really understood league because the game just doesn't flow. All it seems to me is that the team get the ball and run at the oppostion, do this 5 times then kick the ball, I can't see the skill in it.
    You need to watch other teams than Bradford mate

ReputationRep:
    legendkiller, Joey is going to take us to the Super League title this year I can feel it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_000)
    If he bowled, he would be called an allrounder. The last time England were in SA, I don't think he bowled at all in the 5 test series.

Edit: He did bowl, but averaged 75 with the ball. In the last twelve months he's taken just 17 wickets @ 40.52.

ReputationRep:
    Ok my bad

But he can bowl and is class, has he had an injury?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    I have tried to watch it. I have really tried. I just dont get it.
    Too distracted by the players, ah I see Now Eve, you know you have to concentrate on the game, not their, for the most part, amazingly good looks *is disappointed* :p: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cindy)
    Titled changed!
    Thanks Cindy you're a champ

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty sure he said he just wanted to concentrate on batting as SA have enouhg good bowlers or something long those lines.... Bowling also puts more strain on his body which obviosuly he doesnt want anymore...

ReputationRep:
    I didn't hear either of these quotes, they're in Private Eye:

"Shane Warne turned around like a can of beans"
    Michael Atherton, Channel 4

"Harmison posthumously puts out a foot..."
    Commentator, Radio 4

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard of a player called Setanta O'hAilpin (he's Irish) I think he plays for Carlton. He was quite a celebrity over here, and a great hurler, until he decided to go and make his fortune down under.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_000)
    Jacques Kallis is an average bowling all-rounder. He is medium pace, so not immediately dangerous, and not a match-winner with either bat or ball. Andrew Flintoff has shown throughout this years Ashes series to be a match-winner, which sets him apart from any current 'all-rounder'. A better example of an all-rounder from South Africa's test side is Shaun Pollock who far superceeds Jacques Kallis' talent with the ball and can prove more of a frustration with the bat when he is called upon; more likely to change the outcome of an innings and therefore a match.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.keepcricketfree.com/

everyone show ur support and sign the petition on this site please

ReputationRep:
    i dont think much can be done until 2009 when the contract is finished.

does this mean the next ashes series will be on pay tv only?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.