Turn on thread page Beta
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    Any North Melbourne Kangaroo supporters?

    Oh and just for kicks I thought I'd throw in another question: what are the trends in AFL team supporting (if any! :p: LOL), like I find that up in Sydney it's the Swans (no duh :rolleyes: ) plus a few St. Kilda glory supporters, but in Canb. there's heaps of Essendon Bomber fans, a couple of Collingwood supporters and some (Adelaide) Dockers fans.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    NASN is all you need!
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    does it have a big horrible nasn logo on the screen during stuff?
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    i wud love to do that at uni if they offer it..n e 1 done it at uni? :rolleyes:
    Offline

    15
    well i am sure there will be kickboxing clubs around universities as cities with universities are big and vast, and have many different activities to do, so i am quite sure you will be able to do kickboxing when you are studying, but i don't think a kickboxing course is avaliable
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zooropa)
    2006? You mean the return series in Oz?

    Why not? Since the advent of digital TV, a lot of people have Sky now. When Sky was launched in the early 90's, few people had it. I heard about 40-50% of homes in the UK have digital, so that's a sizable amount of people.

    In that sense, the law keeping major sporting events on terrestrial TV should be repealed, since it's not as relevant now.

    Why so that 50% to 60% are denied the chance to watch the series without paying large amounts of money. You say that 40% of people in the UK have sky well as pointed out above only half of these have the Sports package. So this is how the ECB are going to make circket popular again...letting only 20% of the veiwing public watch the sport.

    My parents wont buy Sky let alone the sports package!! I have coped through the past 5 years or away tours knowing that come May there will be cricket free to watch.

    This isnt one or two matches we are talking about here it includes tours to India, Bangladesh, New Zealand South Africa, West Indies and Pakistan. Visits from Sri Lanka, Pakistan, West Indies, India, Zimbabwe, South Africa and New Zealand. Two Ashes series (where England can expect to be favourites in) and the World cup in the Carribean in 2007. (Where Scotland+Ireland will also compete)

    Now if this was football would the World Cup be exclusive to Sky?
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    well it should return to the BBC.. just as the world cup (highlights) will in 2006
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Its a difficult question if you really think about it.

    On the one hand some say spectator sport should be available to watch for everyone, thus it should remain on terrestrial telly.
    On the other hand, there is no inalienable right to free sport on the television - if people want to watch it they should pay the subscribtion fees.

    My major concern is what happens if cricket continues to increase in popularity? Will Sky do as it has with Boxing and Football and begin charging seperately to watch big matches?
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Well 1/3rd of cricket viewers on terrestrial are pensioners. With sky its all about money, they didnt show the highly billed India Pakistan series that went to pay per view on setanta.

    Channel 4's coverage has been great. The only thing in sky's favour is that before they came on the scene the quality of sports coverage in this country was really bad- they've taken most of it to another level.

    The nature of cricket will never allow it to be succesful on pay per view, its not as fast as football or boxing, although the ryder cup has been on PPV before. The EU commission will probably stop the prem going to sky only and this will probably affect other sports.
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    I don't get some of the hysteria to be honest. Yes Australia are/were an awesome team and got outplayed this summer but England came 1st in a two horse race that takes place every 2 years (often less). Vaughan, Flintoff, Pietersen et al. have great careers ahead of them and I'm sure will win the ashes again, probably on more than one occasion. People are going on as if it's a once in a lifetime opportunity like a world cup and I've even heard it being suggested it was england's greatest sporting triumph?!
    there are many reasons why it's one of England's greatest sporting triumphs:

    The tradition behind it: it's one of our oldest sporting rivalries
    Australia are better at it than us (well, they were, anyway)
    We haven't had it for 18 years
    It's such an amazing feeling getting one up over the Baggies

    It's a two horse race i know, but so is the Boat Race: why do Oxford and Cambridge fight so hard every year, why does everyone watch it every year on national television, and why do the losers care so much, and the winners celebrate like we've won the football world cup again?
    An intense rivalry is just that!
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    So you are saying guys like Drew Mitchell... old Lote, Rogers, Wendy Sailor, MAtt Giteau and Matt Henjak,Tana Umaga, Joe Rock, Rico Gear, Victor Matfield, Juan Smith etc would not make it in league? IM sorry but thats laughable :rolleyes: I suppose you should speak for your own hemisphere TYVM
    Sorry to ruin your argument a bit, but Sailor and Rogers (if you're talking about Mat) both moved from league to union. So yeah, they could make it in league. But then again, they're league stars.

    Anyway, I think it works both ways, some players will do well in both sports. I think the problem is when people think because a player is good in one code he should be good in another. It doesn't work like that. For example, just because Harris didn't do well in Union, it doesn't mean anybody who is worse than him in league will be a worse union player.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmjp)
    I think the problem is when people think because a player is good in one code he should be good in another. It doesn't work like that. For example, just because Harris didn't do well in Union, it doesn't mean anybody who is worse than him in league will be a worse union player.
    I agree. Some players can't adapt to the different requirements of each game.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Oh, and to the two Wiganers, I feel for you after last week! ;-)
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    He was absolutely shattered after 60 minutes though, he tried to do way too much work early on. Needs to take a step back every now and again, I think he was over-enthusiastic because of the reception he's got and wanted to make an impact. He did that anyway!
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmjp)
    Oh, and to the two Wiganers, I feel for you after last week! ;-)
    not half as much as i feel for the two of you who got Newtoned...
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Longs face did not look pretty after that challenge!!!
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugby_gal)
    Longs face did not look pretty after that challenge!!!
    it never looked pretty anyway. theres pictures of him at my old school.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Didnt play as well tonight but he's certainly doing the job. The team is so motivated to win the grand final.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    the best fast bowling duo in cricket ????

    who wud u guys pick ???
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    Ambrose+Walsh, followed by Akram+Younis.
 
 
 
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

1,089

people online now

1,567,000

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.