The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Freddy for me. Footballers have their own awards so they don't need any more like this.
Reply 6701
NDGAARONDI
Freddy for me. Footballers have their own awards so they don't need any more like this.

So do Cricketers :biggrin:
kpg

Such as?
I can't remember the last time a cricketer won or has even been nominated for Sports Personality of the Year. There probably have been some before I was born I suppose.
Reply 6703
He said footballers have other award ceremonies, which cricketers do too.

As for the BBC award, Jim Laker, David Steele and [obviously] Ian Botham have won it in the past.

edit ; oh and beefy won the lifetime award last year
Andrew 'Freddie' Flintoff.

And well deserved too! I hope the Ashes team win the overall...If they stop partying from the Ashes, that is!
kpg

Yes but I'm sure footballers have more awards....

Football Writers' Award
Young Player of the Year
Player of the Year
Manager of the year
UEFA best keeper, defender, midfielder, forward
FIFPro awards....

Then we have our own manager of the month etc.
kpg
He said footballers have other award ceremonies, which cricketers do too.

As for the BBC award, Jim Laker, David Steele and [obviously] Ian Botham have won it in the past.

edit ; oh and beefy won the lifetime award last year

I know that, I was asking what these cricketers' other award ceremonies are.
I'm talking about the main award here by the way. All I'm saying is that the last time a cricketer won was 24 years ago, whilst 2 footballers have won in the last 7.
Reply 6707
They have the ICC awards obviously. Don't get me wrong btw, Flintoff and the England team would be the obvious choices and almost certainly will win it.
im sorry , but as good as ambrose and walsh were, wasim and waqar were just that bit better. there record proves it , thier wicket taking abilty proves it , and remeber the pitches the played on , they didnt have the fast tracks of jamaica .....
asjad_03
cmon guys - give ur views

Yep i actually agree with your about Waqar and Wasim, altho i cant think of many other great partnerships..maybe after todays events we could have Pathan and Khan?
AFL grand final - who are you barracking for? :p: This is West Coast v Sydney on Saturday 24th of September 2005 at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground). Come on folks, place your bets! :smile:

Shame no Vics teams :redface: :frown: Oh well work harder boys, 2006! :biggrin:

DB_x
Reply 6711
I live in Sydney and i support the swans (i know people who like essendon), but i don't really follow the afl much cause I like the rugby (and the a-league - omg, it's got to work! It really must succeed!). the only appeal in afl for me is the players (they have the nicest toned arms.)

I hope the swans win.
Im supporting none.

IM sick of sunrise going on about that stupid Barry Hall business. They forget that the rest of australia, bar VIC, and SA and parts of WA...no one is interested. The Majority of QLD isnt, we dont care. I just want to know the news. *rant over*
Colly
Have you heard of a player called Setanta O'hAilpin (he's Irish) I think he plays for Carlton. He was quite a celebrity over here, and a great hurler, until he decided to go and make his fortune down under.

I've heard of him, well I do support Cork after all. :biggrin:
ur right !! i cant think of many new great fast bowlers.

the 90's produced legendary fast bowlers such as

: waqar, wasim , ambrose, walsh, donald, mcgrath,pollock, vaas ......

yet not many of late : unpredictable shoaib - brett (gives away too may runs) lee .

although shane bond when not injures is the most destruvtive out of the new crop.
Do it for us bitter Melbournians who didn't see any VIC teams get into the grand final :biggrin: Man there's heaps of Swans fans, was just walking around uni this morning and the number of people wearing swans scarfs, red + white clothing, omg :eek:

Well anyway I'm going to be different lol and barrack for the opposing team, ooh I feel so rebellious :p: That or I really need to get a life :redface:

Anyway go West Coast!!! :cool: :biggrin:

DB_x
Go West Coast :biggrin: :cool:
LOL you're too kind. The west coast colours aren't quite garish enough, though :p:

danni_bella83
Do it for us bitter Melbournians who didn't see any VIC teams get into the grand final :biggrin: Man there's heaps of Swans fans, was just walking around uni this morning and the number of people wearing swans scarfs, red + white clothing, omg :eek:

Well anyway I'm going to be different lol and barrack for the opposing team, ooh I feel so rebellious :p: That or I really need to get a life :redface:

Anyway go West Coast!!! :cool: :biggrin:

DB_x
Reply 6718
england will get rolled over in the ODIs.
rubysolstice
LOL you're too kind. The west coast colours aren't quite garish enough, though :p:
Haha, well you know what they say about your enemy's enemy :biggrin: I think the West Coast colours are far more imaginative and interesting than the Sydney Swans code, and I dig their mascot :p: :cool:

Latest