Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lillith Grimore)
    One of the horses at the yard was sold this week and Jo delivered him on Saturday. The people that bought him have all their children at private school but don't want to pay livery fees, and said they had a paddock (and a stable, I think) behind their house so they'd keep him there. There is no stable and the paddock is their back garden!! It has a trampoline in it and a swing. What on earth were they thinking??
    WTF?! Thats crazy, you do have to wonder about the sanity of some people!!

I had my first wednesday night lesson last night, I didn't fall off and I only embarrassed myself a little bit by going the wrong way when we were jumping!! But I got to ride a nice little grey who jumped everything brilliantly and made me look good!!

I'm a bit confused though, my instructor said it was a more advanced lesson, and they seemed to jump ever so slightly higher, but the people didn't seem to ride any better than me, infact it looked they didn't even know how to get the horse to work on the bit (which is one of the first things you tend to learn once you get into a slightly more advanced lesson where I ride) :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    I had my first wednesday night lesson last night, I didn't fall off and I only embarrassed myself a little bit by going the wrong way when we were jumping!! But I got to ride a nice little grey who jumped everything brilliantly and made me look good!!

I'm a bit confused though, my instructor said it was a more advanced lesson, and they seemed to jump ever so slightly higher, but the people didn't seem to ride any better than me, infact it looked they didn't even know how to get the horse to work on the bit (which is one of the first things you tend to learn once you get into a slightly more advanced lesson where I ride) :confused:
    Yeah, sometimes when you see some of the supposedly more advanced lessons you do kind of wonder... I only really ride in 'The Jump' or 'The Flat' - the Capital show you They Are The Advanced Lessons - you can hear it when people say them! :rolleyes: It's my pony's birthday tomorrow! He will be 10 whole years old. Maybe he'll *finally* start to act it (but I'm not holding my breath)

ReputationRep:
    Is this the official riding / horsey thread?
    I consider myself a novice rider. No jumping for me yet, just loads of flat work. Currently having two lessons a week (or I try to!) as I'd really like to move onto Intermediate level in a year's time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoVet)
    Is this the official riding / horsey thread?
    I consider myself a novice rider. No jumping for me yet, just loads of flat work. Currently having two lessons a week (or I try to!) as I'd really like to move onto Intermediate level in a year's time!
    Yep, this is where we chat about all things horsey, welcome!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I found this thread, as I'm being completely horse crazy at the moment! I think about horseyz all the time, and even when I'm walking I'd rather be trotting on horseback I even bought the latest issue of Your Horse magazine even though I don't have my own horse and I don't see myself having one in the near future!! I know it sounds crazy!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I found this thread, as I'm being completely horse crazy at the moment! I think about horseyz all the time, and even when I'm walking I'd rather be trotting on horseback I even bought the latest issue of Your Horse magazine even though I don't have my own horse and I don't see myself having one in the near future!! I know it sounds crazy!
    Thats not crazy, thats perfectly normal, its great to read as much as possible!! You can pick up all sorts of tips.

How long have you been riding?

ReputationRep:
    I'm watching a program about the Queens cavalry, I want to be one!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj_dave87)
    Mark Waugh, "You're not good enough to be playing for your country, mate."
    Ormond, "Maybe not, but at least I'm the best player in my family."
    LOL. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    Thats not crazy, thats perfectly normal, its great to read as much as possible!! You can pick up all sorts of tips.

How long have you been riding?
    Well I started like two years ago. Had weekly lessons with my college but didn't really progress a lot at the time because a) there were too many people in my group (usually 6+!) and b) the lessons got cancelled a lot. Then I went back home for the summer and rode quite a lot. Then I started uni and didn't bother finding a riding school, so I didn't ride for like a year :eek: - God knows how I managed that!!!! Then it was summer time again, and I went back home and took up riding again. Rode a ton and couldn't get enough of it, so I decided to carry on with it. And now that I've found a riding school near me I have no excuse not to do it seriously!

ReputationRep:
    Or skate...after you get better you can do all kinds of stuff and you'll feell like you've done extreme things...

ReputationRep:
    Well I started like two years ago. Had weekly lessons with my college but didn't really progress a lot at the time because a) there were too many people in my group (usually 6+!) and b) the lessons got cancelled a lot. Then I went back home for the summer and rode quite a lot. Then I started uni and didn't bother finding a riding school, so I didn't ride for like a year :eek: - God knows how I managed that!!!! Then it was summer time again, and I went back home and took up riding again. Rode a ton and couldn't get enough of it, so I decided to carry on with it. And now that I've found a riding school near me I have no excuse not to do it seriously!
    Yay, good for you!!

I went 5 years without riding while I was in 6th form/uni due to lack of time and money. I kept meaning to go at uni, but it was so cliquey the president just filled all the lessons up with her friends before the lists even went up so it was impossible to actually get a lesson. I started back again last summer and have been going ever since. It was so good to get back into it again, I was so surprised how much I could still remember and I think I now ride to a better standard than I ever did before because now I'm more concerned about riding properly than going fast and jumping high!!

I want to go riding again now dammit, gotta wait til Wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    I'm watching a program about the Queens cavalry, I want to be one!!
    Doesn't it just suck that you have to be MALE to be in the Household Cavalry? It's one of the only areas of the armed services still blocked to females. It's the only thing I would ever consider doing in the army. I'd like to be able just to jump on my horse like they do though. Imagine learning to ride without stirrups!!

Hey ChocoVet :hello: I've been lucky enough to not have to break from riding since I started, I'm going to try to get a few rides in a term whilst at Uni and then ride my pony every day when I get home. He's BSJA registered now! There's already a horse called Matador somewhere cos he's Matador II. I shall tell the Irish vet next time I see him.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't it just suck that you have to be MALE to be in the Household Cavalry? It's one of the only areas of the armed services still blocked to females. It's the only thing I would ever consider doing in the army. I'd like to be able just to jump on my horse like they do though. Imagine learning to ride without stirrups!!

Hey ChocoVet :hello: I've been lucky enough to not have to break from riding since I started, I'm going to try to get a few rides in a term whilst at Uni and then ride my pony every day when I get home. He's BSJA registered now! There's already a horse called Matador somewhere cos he's Matador II. I shall tell the Irish vet next time I see him.
    I know, so annoying, I'd love to do all that. One of my first instructors used to be in the household cavalry, he was ever such a good teacher though, he used to bark orders at us and we did drill riding just about every week!!

You should take Matt round the indoor showjumping at Markfield Lillith, every thursday and sunday during the winter, affliated and unaffiliated class, the course is build by the guy who does the Olympia course, a lot of the top showjumpers take their young horses round to get them some indoor experience and they're all really nice and willing to give you tips etc!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    IYou should take Matt round the indoor showjumping at Markfield Lillith, every thursday and sunday during the winter, affliated and unaffiliated class, the course is build by the guy who does the Olympia course, a lot of the top showjumpers take their young horses round to get them some indoor experience and they're all really nice and willing to give you tips etc!!
    We're really, really lucky where we are - there's Hargate in the summer and Marchington in the winter, both only about 10 minutes away in the lorry. Jo's great plan for Matt involves him jumping a couple of times a term (either she'll take him, or one of the yard staff called Claire, whose loan horse is being sold) and then she reckons she'll be over to markfield every few weeks on a Thursday so I can take him during the holidays. If there was a qualifier at Marchington I might see if I could make it back for it, and hopefully they'll be going to something at Solihull when I'm back (and have room for my little grey horse). It's so incredibly nice to have an instructor who competes, if I go with her and then have problems either Jo or one of the other yard epople are always there to help. I'm so lucky!

ReputationRep:
    We're really, really lucky where we are - there's Hargate in the summer and Marchington in the winter, both only about 10 minutes away in the lorry. Jo's great plan for Matt involves him jumping a couple of times a term (either she'll take him, or one of the yard staff called Claire, whose loan horse is being sold) and then she reckons she'll be over to markfield every few weeks on a Thursday so I can take him during the holidays. If there was a qualifier at Marchington I might see if I could make it back for it, and hopefully they'll be going to something at Solihull when I'm back (and have room for my little grey horse). It's so incredibly nice to have an instructor who competes, if I go with her and then have problems either Jo or one of the other yard epople are always there to help. I'm so lucky!
    Wow, thats sounding really good, it must be so nice having someone to keep competing him while you're away at uni so you know he's not just going to be sitting in a field. (my friend at uni only had her mum to exercise her pony while she was awake and had such trouble when she got back because her mum did very little and let the little monster get away with murder!!)

ReputationRep:
    High Jump: 1.75
    Triple Jump: 11.70
    100m:12.5 (approx- idiot with stopwatch :mad: )

err.. no titles but second in county for high jump

ReputationRep:
    Long Jump - 6.42 = schools borough record
    Triple Jump - 12.90 = at AAA U17 Champs

both when i was 15

ReputationRep:
    In year 7:

100m - 13.91

We all had to run it to determine who was running it for sports day, i got the fastest qualifying time, and only just won the race.

After that it all went downhill and i finished 5th in year 8 :p: (I also won it in year 6).

ReputationRep:
    Last season when was 17...

100m - 11.4 secs
    long jump - 6.10m (Bucks county champ)
    National finals 2 times

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: theyr cool man!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.