Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How sad is it that Luke Egan is retiring!!!

ReputationRep:
    Another surfer here. I surf mostly in Portugal where I live. We get some good stuff from time to time. Going to surf the desolate waves and secret spots of Mozambique in December. Should be good...

To surf, well, it's probably one of the hardest things you'll do, but possibly one of the most rewarding as well. There's something ethereal about surfing.. enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    For anyone without Sky, I just found out that streaming video of the qualifying session and both races is available here:

http://www.a1gp.com/media/

No commentary, although some might say that's a bonus

ReputationRep:
    omg!

ReputationRep:
    he lost lol

ReputationRep:
    Had a lesson today. There were like seven people in the class today and they changed instructor for our class (and I really like the previous instructor!). Didn't really do much, half of the time we were sitting on our horse's back waiting for our turn. Arrghhh it sux

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bdarnell)
    Love to surf. :cool: 6ft 2" short board, although long boarding is quite fun All in all, surfing is that hard to learn. I would suggest using the foam boards to build confidence before moving on.
    HEY! I LIVE LIKE RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!!! haha, not really, but i live right outside LA. but i agree, foam boards are sooo much easier. but i like fiberglass boards better, esp. shortboards. *eat*sleep*surf

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone who knows about and follows darts could help me?

My boyfriend has always wanted to go and watch some darts competitions, and I want to get him a couple of tickets for his birthday. Does anyone know of any darts events that are on anytime from mid-october til january this year that i can get hold of tickets for and that he might like to go to?

I know this is a bit of a stab in the dark but i've tried searching on google and it just brings up the news in the world of darts lol. If anyone could help I would be very grateful! Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    Both weren't really Test material, and there isn't a space in the middle order if they have improved...
    I knew McGrath was mainly considered as a OneDay player. But you never here about them on the international circuit theses days. Surely competition 4 places is going to make batsmen less complacent? Ian Bell needs 2 be pushed on, although i am a fan of his maybe he needs another year at county before becoming an England regular.

ReputationRep:
    whats lighter- T6 hard tail frame or 7005 Aluminium Diamond frame ??

thanks

ReputationRep:
    How long ago did he stop playing? I was going to vote for him as he's the only chess player I could name. Other than Deep Blue, but I don't think that counts!

How do you go about following chess, do they show it anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    I play! I've been playing a good 8 years now, I'm graded 108 (smug) and was playing Starsailor (~130) for a while. It's sensational; atm they've had 2 all decisive rounds and Kasimjanov mated Anand in broad daylight! I think Toppy has the best chance atm after reading the Chessmetrics stats, he always seems to play well on the big occasion but we can't count Svidler or Anand out yet; it's a long tourney.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    He'll be on his way to F1 soon, maybe even next year after his recent performances, red bull still have 2 slots, williams 1, I can't see why anyone would want to wait on him, he is clearly class.
    Red Bull have their racing school to bring drivers up from, so they won't have trouble finding drivers to fill the new team.

And speaking of F1 being boring, I'd say this season was the most exciting one so far, with three young drivers taking the place of Schumacher at last. And with BAR potentially growing into another team capable of winning races, as long as they get the aerodynamic issue resolved sometime soon, I think the next few seasons should be worth watching.

A1 sounds like a good idea, but a lot of people will be put off because it's on Sky. The first race sounds a little less epic than people imagined, but I didn't see it so won't cast judgement, especially after just one race. Definitely a good thing for motorsport fans in general though.

ReputationRep:
    Egan anyone? only one of the world's greatest retiring and all we can say is how cool the boards are? forshame!

ReputationRep:
    Lmao, a sledging thread - quality.

The only one I've heard from the recent Ashes series was Glenn McGrath to the Barmy Army: "Northern Ireland - they're a good team aren't they." Which silenced them briefly.

Childish, but classic:

"Let's bowl him a piano...see if he can play that."

"We've got him fishing lads...let's reel him in."

Bizarrely effective:

"Bat, do you breathe in or out before you hit the ball?"

Hilarious as sledging is, it's effects are probably overrated. The only time it genuinely works is when you succeed in a) annoying the hell out of the batsman or b) completely confusing a tail-ender. To achieve a) you don't need witty one-liners, but constant chatter from the keeper and close-fielders. For b), simply bring on a spinner and let the close fielders give the batsman a lecture on how hard it is to pick the wrong 'un...it makes absolutely no odds whether your spinner can bowl it or not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Black Rider)
    Bell seemingly entrenched despite his faliures
    (Original post by The Black Rider)
    In his time working for the ECB, Rod Marsh (who really ought to know) was very much in favour of Read, and if the opinion of one of the greatest glovemen ever to play the game doesn't count then whose does?
    It's unfortunate that you cite Rod Marsh as your authority on Chris Read and slate Ian Bell in the same post - Marsh is also one of Bell's biggest advocates. In case you're shaking your head: "He is particularly adept at leaving the ball outside off stump, and he has received glowing reviews from coaches at every stage of his development, not least from Rod Marsh at the England Academy, a man not given to hyperbole." Oh dear, lol.

I wavered during the Ashes, but now I'm firmly planted on the Jones side of the fence. Read's not as fantastic as his advocates make out, breaking up an Ashes-winning side is crazy, like it or not the relative importance of keepers is in decline and Jones's runs are important to England's continued success.

ReputationRep:
    wike to batsman on 48th over need 50to win :Pressures on lads! next 6 balls all go for 6. happened one time in a club game but they evetually lost in final over by 4 runs

ReputationRep:
    there isnt a btter keep than geriant in england right now so they ave no choice but to keep him. same with david beckham on right midfield for england

ReputationRep:
    imagine facing Lee and akhtar.
    for consistent wicket taking u cant beat waqar and wasim, and pathan/khan will never even come close

ReputationRep:
    from the ashes id def chose simon jones to swing the ball like a madman
    illalways remember M Clarke b Jones in the test where they were struggling and the ball wickedly swung back late to take offstump..

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.