Archive SPTM/0003/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
fleur-de-lis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The old Allan Donald- Fanie de Villiers partnership.

Edit: read through the thread and saw consistent Wasim, waqar etc etc... obviously from fans of Pakisten. Well, I used to be a supporter of SA, so the above is my clouded judgement. Moreover, it looks quite odd when the same people keep on repeating the W names over and over.

Edit2: when others made their suggestions, it was all countered by the W argument. So probably the title of the thread should be 'W & W- is this the greatest bowling partnership or not?'

Just my two cents.
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Everdawn)
Egan anyone? only one of the world's greatest retiring and all we can say is how cool the boards are? forshame!
Haha yeah I know who you're talking about. Yeah it is pretty disappointing he's retiring already, isn't he only in his 30s?

Also how many Tigers fanatics did we come across at the NSW central coast LOL, was it the same up in Brissie?

:eek:
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd love to try it sometime, but there isn't anywhere near here to do it :/
nooneknows
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The Wilson Hammer series is fantastic. Bought one a year ago and never looked back.
fr browne
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by nooneknows)
"Bat, do you breathe in or out before you hit the ball?"
I can see why that one works
To achieve a) you don't need witty one-liners, but constant chatter from the keeper and close-fielders. For b), simply bring on a spinner and let the close fielders give the batsman a lecture on how hard it is to pick the wrong 'un...it makes absolutely no odds whether your spinner can bowl it or not!
And even then its not certain to work. Ive survived 18 overs as a number 11 batter in those cirumstances before ie; 9 men around the bat. It depends on the player, the occasion, and the pressures involved.
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
Ok, I've got the line up of the world 11 being used vs Australia here, what do we all think?

A good team? Who would you rather have in, and do you think they'll beat Australia?

Note that Tendulkar is injured, hence not in it, so don't say he should be there, so here it is;

Sehwag - opener (maybe spinning a bit, but with the bowling about to come doubtful surely!)

Sangakkara - opener and wickie.

Dravid - third man in, so not being wickie, maybe they should have used him as wickie and had different opener (though I agree with the selectors that he's not good enough behind the stumps to do that.)

Lara - not as good as he used to be?

Kallis - great all rounder...

Pieterson - whey, ashes hero!

Flintoff - ditto the above. :p:

Afridi - spin bowler/ insanely attacking batsman, him coming in at number 8 is crazy!

Vettori - decent spinner, can't bat.

Muralitharan - second best spinner in the world, behind Warne, who can't be in it for obvious reasons, so was always gonna be there, though he can't bat.

Pollock - very good bowler, and handy with bat.

Akhtar - bowled over 100mph before, wouldn't like to face him when he's accurate.

Obviously only 11/12 can be playing, so who to drop? Personally I'd get rid of Vettori, there's plenty of spin in the lineup anyways, including Sehwag there's 3 other spinners. Of the two other big spinners (muralitharan and afridi) one is a better bowler, and one can bat well too, so they're both more useful on the team.

Personally I might want Andy Flower instead of Lara, but overall a great team, who can probably beat Australia!

Oh yes, and 9/12 have test match centuries!
leedsmedic_07
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ur probabl right - but i'm not actually a major pakistan fan ,
but dont understant how u can even argue well u look at the stats and their carees ?????

and if u suggesting im biased , de villiers - give me a break !!!!
tis_me_lord
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by fleur-de-lis)
The old Allan Donald- Fanie de Villiers partnership.

Edit: read through the thread and saw consistent Wasim, waqar etc etc... obviously from fans of Pakisten. Well, I used to be a supporter of SA, so the above is my clouded judgement. Moreover, it looks quite odd when the same people keep on repeating the W names over and over.

Edit2: when others made their suggestions, it was all countered by the W argument. So probably the title of the thread should be 'W & W- is this the greatest bowling partnership or not?'

Just my two cents.
Isn't Donald/ Pollock a better combo?
leedsmedic_07
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeah right !!!! murali second best spinner in the world.

murali isnt far behind in wickets , but has played like 40 less tests , i.e his strike rate is much better.

his average of 22 per wicket is much better than warne 25.5

murali has also got more one day wickets yet is second best.

no !!!!! he is by far the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
legbreakgoogly
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Its a great line-up. DV should miss out, but who knows.

Cant wait until 5am...
tis_me_lord
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by asjad_03)
yeah right !!!! murali second best spinner in the world.

murali isnt far behind in wickets , but has played like 40 less tests , i.e his strike rate is much better.

his average of 22 per wicket is much better than warne 25.5

murali has also got more one day wickets yet is second best.

no !!!!! he is by far the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed Warne was number one, but looking at the ashes you can see why I said that,

doesn't 'Murali' have double joined wrists, so he can spin more because of that? Or is that somebody else....
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed Warne was number one, but looking at the ashes you can see why I said that,

doesn't 'Murali' have double joined wrists, so he can spin more because of that? Or is that somebody else....
Yep and he's deemed to be bowling illegally because of the degrees of his arm when he bowls. This has prevented him from bowling the doosra which is sublime.
fleur-de-lis
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by asjad_03)
ur probabl right - but i'm not actually a major pakistan fan ,
but dont understant how u can even argue well u look at the stats and their carees ?????

and if u suggesting im biased , de villiers - give me a break !!!!
It's not just the wickets that count, but also restricting the batting side taking more runs in the first 10 overs and last 10 overs (if a one dayer) or intermittenly in a Test. I personally believe that Pakistan has terrific bowlers (Akthar used to be quite good), but countering arguments with W&W is better, kind of looks odd- of course, you can have your own views, but you should also respect that of others.

Of course, I am biased... and I mentioned that in my post!
tis_me_lord
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by oblivious)
Yep and he's deemed to be bowling illegally because of the degrees of his arm when he bowls. This has prevented him from bowling the doosra which is sublime.
Akhtar is close to throwing it too, yes?
leedsmedic_07
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ahkar was reported once and cleared , but for some reason everybodys after murali.

but at the end of the day he gets cleared coz he falls within tolerance, but just look at the stats , coz i dont think its up to us to say if he's an illeagal bowler or not
tis_me_lord
Report 13 years ago
I think they're both brilliant bowlers, and would like to see both allowed to carry on bowling as they do, and not be called illegal bowlers.
tis_me_lord
Report 13 years ago
I can play, but I have no interest in what other people do.
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
murali's arm is just so cool to watch in slow motion
nooneknows
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Murali's doosra isn't sublime - it's a chuck. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.
tis_me_lord
Report 13 years ago
Maybe we'd have won if we opted for the Bangladesh side. :rolleyes:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.5%
No - but I will (87)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.09%

Watched Threads