Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is chess a sport now?!

ReputationRep:
    Not entirely sure on this but possibly because once you put the ball over the line you get to "try" to kick a goal. I gathered this from reading Tom Browns Schooldays for A level PE, it comes from back when the game was being created at public schools and you didnt get any points for tries just goals and you could only attempt a kick at goal if you got what we would call a try.

Maybe, not sure but it sounds good in my brain!

ReputationRep:
    A try (at goal) is the major way of scoring points in rugby union and rugby league. A try is scored when a player grounds the ball in the opposition's in-goal area. A try is analogous to a touchdown in American football with the major difference being that a try requires the ball to touch the ground. In both forms of rugby the term touchdown refers only to the physical act of touching the ball down behind the goal line.

ReputationRep:
    I could be playing rugby on Saturday. So that's five times on top of football twice in eight days and football three times when I'm not playing rugby. I think I'm going OTT now...

ReputationRep:
    That does sound pretty hectic...then again...a good rugby match is always followed by a godly piss up (i don't mean someone turns up in a habit...although, it has been known...), and if it doesn't you should have words he of the unpronouncable username....
    Just out of curiosity...why did you used to have jesus colleges crest as your avatar? (the green one)

ReputationRep:
    yea...but he wanted to know WHY it was called a try...doesn't really answer it there, does it.
    typical lawyer - always avoiding answering the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    yea...but he wanted to know WHY it was called a try...doesn't really answer it there, does it.
    typical lawyer - always avoiding answering the question
    A try at goal as already mentioned. Actually quite a few politicians dodge questions too.

ReputationRep:
    An unpronounceable username? I was thinking that at one time. I had Jesus College's coat of arms to wind up any Durham and LSE students who mocked people from 'lower' universities and used that to my advantage. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Yea...i'm not 100% sure about thats validity, but hey ho...
    lucky i'm a geologist really then isn't it

ReputationRep:
    But, why jesus for gods sake? i mean...they're welsh!
    sorry - i'm from exeter, therefore over the road, therefore we hate them

ReputationRep:
    I liked the design, better than St Peter's anyway.

ReputationRep:
    He's at my college, he had to sneak out for the weekend i think! He said he clipped a couple of the first fences and then jumped the rest clear but didn't get called back in (again, i think) but he seemed to be really pleased.

ReputationRep:
    LMAO! I thought 'he' was a she! Duh! Hoow embarrassing.

Aww, that's good. Glad they had a fabby time, such a great thing to do!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I wanna take up a sport but i dont know which one, ive not done any sport since i was in school (just graduated) so a long time ago. :rolleyes:

I m fairly fit, generally jogging and swimming.

Open to any suggestions or if anyone wants to big up their sport to me go ahead!As long as its in the south and something i can do as a beginner!

ReputationRep:
    ROWING!

Its fun and super good exercise. On my beginners course there were two recent graduates so you would be in good company.

ReputationRep:
    hey fonzievision! you lucky thing living in portugal, i absolutely love that place! surfed arrifana and amado this february, was only about waisthigh but glassy and perfectly formed....ahhh.So are you in uni in the UK? anywhere near the beach any of you lot? I'm applying to durham and edinburgh = winter swells with offshore SW!! wehey! applying to southampton too as the course is good and the bournemouth reef should be built not long after I would be goin to uni!!

ReputationRep:
    Surfing is ace - I'm not too far from North coast, that's where it's at. I only really get time to go down to Cornwall during holidays though, and Newquay, Perranporth et al are all packed
    I've been bodyboarding since I was about 10, so catching waves isn't a problem. Only went big board surfing properly a couple of years ago - best to start on a Swell board, cos they're much easier to get balanced on. Ah, if only I could afford a board.. I have a decent bodyboard, but I have to hire a surfboard from wherever I'm going if I want to surf.

Tis great fun though.. and lots of hot guys do it

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know any shop (preferably in London) that sells these ear plugs? I'm after some for when I go swimming as I'm prone to getting ear infections and that sucks lol.

http://www.proplugs.com/

Any help'd be great, thanks

Oh, and has anyone used these before at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Munster have a very good team so they have as much chance of winning the Cup as anyone, particularly as this stage!

I'm looking forward to the Leinster v Bath match on Saturday - it's going to be difficult to decide which one to support.

I understand the match is at RDS - what are they developing Lansdowne Rd for? It is just upgrading or for a specific purpose?
    Why don't you know who to support?
    I'd be a bit like that between munster and wasps.

Landsdowne is just being upgraded, i think they are completely overhauling it, some new plans were unveiled the other day.
    Untill its done the Internationals are going to be played in Croke Park which is where all the gaa is played.

ReputationRep:
    I would have said cricket but as ur a girl....if u can find anyone who plays it, try it Korfball, its cross between netball and basketball and is great fun. Also badminton is/can usually be played to a fairly low level.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.