Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It'd have to be Michael Vaughan for best batsmanship, out of the given two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonsi)
    murray is a good player, he has proved that this year, however against someone like federer or hewitt, he would be murdered IMO
    He already played frederer in the thailand open and did not get murdered! He gave himself a good account of, enough to gain some respect from frederer. If he had not lost the opening games of the 2 sets, the game would have been even tighter, and then who would have known. Plus, he even broke Frederer in one of the games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Dont see Hewitt ever reaching the level he did a few years back again personally. I dont think he is the 2nd best player in the world either. He is consistent against lower ranked players but when it comes to the big boys he has nothing to offer. I would however favour him against Nadal on anything but clay but Safin is the 2nd best imo. Although I dont think the standard at the top is that good atm.
    i disagree, although everyone, including himself has said he is better now than when he dominated i agree he was better then
    if federer wasnt on the scene hewitt would be ranked number one, definitely
    roddick has nothing on hewitt, nadal has nothing on hewitt, safin is the only player in the top 10 (apart from fed) who could possibly beat lleyton.
    thats IMO anyway, and possibly a bias one, lleyton has been my favourite from a young age

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    All that without Shoaib Akhtar. If he's fit and firing, England will have a handful to deal with (assuming he manages to stay fit.)
    I don't want to tempt fate, but the chances of Shoaib being 'fit and firing' are slim to none. He really is a bit of a fat lazy knob. And even when he's on form, simply bowling very fast doesn't necessarily mean much. Particularly in ODI's where the pace of the ball can be used to the batsmen's advantage. But I'm sure you know that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    I don't want to tempt fate, but the chances of Shoaib being 'fit and firing' are slim to none. He really is a bit of a fat lazy knob. And even when he's on form, simply bowling very fast doesn't necessarily mean much. Particularly in ODI's where the pace of the ball can be used to the batsmen's advantage. But I'm sure you know that.
    I agree. Chances are slim, but England underestimate him at their peril.

And he probably won't play the ODIs.

But I was thinking of Tests.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but Vaughan's test average is much better than Hussains. I'm not a great believer in Test vs ODI captains. I know Australia did it in the mid-90's with Waugh and Taylor, but I'm still not convinced it's a great idea.

ReputationRep:
    Guys and Gals.

Rule No.1 Be aware of your surroundings - be switched on. Don't allow yourself to be in a potentially dangerous situation. Make yourself a hard target, not an easy one.

Rule No.2 There is a huge difference between self defence and self protection. Self defence implies you are defending against an an attack that is already happening, self protection is a way of avoiding the attack in the first place by being aware.

Rule No.3 Most traditional arts, whilst good have no real application for the street. Most are based on the ancient fighting arts where samurais wore bamboo armour and rode horses!! Who needs to do those big high swinging kicks when a swift kick to the shin or a pre-emptive strike to the eye or throat can be just as effective.

Rule No.4 Don't get too bogged down with grappling and using control and restraint stuff. It tends not to work unless in a 1 on 1 situation. Factor in the effect of alcohol/adrenaline/illegal drugs and you put yourself in the most potentialy dangerous position you'll ever be in

Put very simply: If you have to, go for targets that will give you room to escape ie eyes and breathing. If your attacker cant see you they cant chase you. If they cant breathe then theyre more likely to be more concerned with their own well being and not attacking you

For reality - look for SELF PROCTECTION as opposed to self defence. Check out
    www.selfprotectionsystem.co.uk
    www.geoffthompson.co.uk
    www.senshido.com
    www.womensselfdefence.co.uk

The first is based in East London/Essex
    The 2nd is a general site with some good links to other sites. Geoff Thompson is one of the leading selp protection exponents. Read his book "Watch my back"
    3rd - based in Canada but due to be in the UK in March for a very good seminar
    4th - Liz Clark, awesome!! But for women primarily

I teach at one of these but I'll not mention where on this post - I'm not gonna advertise!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RzrbldeSuitcase)
    Hello I wonder if someone can help me here...

We recentlyhad a jujitsu demo at my college over two days, the head instructor couldn't make it to the 2nd day and so the 1nd in command took the lead and said (i gather she wasn't supposed to) that jujitsu was all fine and well but she wanted to show us some techniques of , ithink she called it, kenpo/kempo jujitsu which is more real-life techniques for attacks in bars, etc.

The story she told was a man in Belfast was tired of learning techniques that were not applicable to real-life safety so he would develop new techniques and then go into bars in Belfast and pick a fight with the biggest guy in the bar, if the techniques didn't work in this situation he didn't teach them to his students.

I am very interested into looking into this but have had no luck finding any info and wondered if any of you could help me here, thanks!

Yes i know what you are talking about.
    It is not Kenpo. If you google Kenpo you'll end up with alot of Kenpo karate which is not the same thing.

The system is called Kajukenbo. I t is some times refered to as kenbo i believe, but Kenpo is something different.

The name is made up of the martial arts its derived from, (KA)rate, (JU)do, (KEN)do, chinese boxing (BO)

The story i had heard on this is different, im not sure where she got Belfast from. I remeber it as the slums of Hawaii.

Kajukenbo was founded in 1947 at Palamas Settlement on Oahu, Hawaii. It developed out a group calling themselves the "Black Belt Society", which consisted of black belts from various martial arts backgrounds who met to train and learn with each other. This was the beginning of an evolutionary, adaptive style designed to combine the most useful aspects of the arts. There are five men credited as founders of Kajukenbo, and it is from their respective arts that Kajukenbo draws it's name.

In the late 1940's, Palamas Settlement was a violent area and fist-fights or stabbings were commonplace. From this environment, the founders of Kajukenbo wanted to develop an art that would be readily useful on the street. As they trained and fought in and around Palamas Settlement, the founders of Kajukenbo quickly gained reputations as formidable street-fighters. In 1950, Adriano Emperado, along with brother Joe Emperado, began teaching the new art in an open class. They called the school Kajukenbo Self Defense Institute (K.S.D.I.).

Google Kajukenbo or kenbo and there should be a small amout of information on it.
    I used to have a great site on it, shownig all the techniques, but that was ages ago i cant remember what it was now.

I believe the fighter 'Paul' in the Tekken computer game series has some of his moves based on Kajukenbo.

Glad i could be of help

ReputationRep:
    For some reason, I dont like the sound of this Art.

Looking at www.kajukenbo.org, I see that the Ka comes from Karate. AFAIK, its not "Ka" in "karate", its "kara", when kara has two meanings - "Chinese" and "empty" eg Karate can either be "Chinese hands" (from the Arts supposed Chinese boxing (kenpo) origins) or "Empty hands" (Gichin Funakoshi's interpretation). Also in the Karate bit of the site, it says the style is Tang Soo Do. Problem here, in that TSD is not a style of Karate. It is a Korean style whose (like most MAs) history is pretty much unknown. One site I have seen says it is nearly 2000 years old, another (which looks more likely) says that it has origins in Shotokan karate, Tae Kwon Do, Kung Fu and Taiji - ie it started to spread after the ban on MAs in Korea was lifted in 1945 (after the Japanese occupation ended). An Korean style of a Japanese/Okinawan art with a Chinese character :confused:

Because I am not a practitioner of Judo, Ju Jitsu, Kenpo or Chinese Boxing, I dont feel I have the authority to talk about their histories.

Personally, if I wanted to learn a good way to defend myself, I would head to a style like Muay Thai or Kyokushin/Ashihara/Seido Karate. Full contact styles where you will learn to hit hard and to take hard hits.

Either that, or the local running club - best defence = not being there

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh a cheerleading thread!

None of the cheerleaders on my uni squad are *****y and like your typical "American cheerleaders". I've only been doing it for about a month so not that good yet. We've just been doing basic stunts as well as dance routines and learning cheers for games. It's such great fun though and actually really good exercise.

ReputationRep:
    walsh and ambrose were THE bowlers when I was a kid, I felt. But then I didn't watch them play that much. Akhtar and Lee about equal I'd say, although I'd agree we need more out and out fast bowlers in today's cricket. Just someone who can accurately bowl 95mph or so and make the batsman uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    By wobbly, i mean that i have to set the breaks so that they don't touch the wheel when the breaks are not used.

But this reduces the brakes effectiveness. I'm worried that the wobbly will worsen and i would need to get another bike in a year or two!

ReputationRep:
    that means the wheel is slightly warped not a big problem ive ridden my bike like that for months it does make the wheel slightly weaker but only important for mountain biking when you have turned as many wheels bananna shaped as me you see a patern

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaskell)
    Either that, or the local running club - best defence = not being there
    couldn't have put it better myself. . .

ReputationRep:
    Murray just lost to Gonzalez in three sets! Tough match for the youngster!

Also the pitches there lack pace so if that's all he can do (which it is) he wont be that hard to handle there.

ReputationRep:
    I personally wanna see Van Guisbergen play, Cohen although i like him as a player i question his motivation when the going gets tough, but we'll see!

ReputationRep:
    i agree with above comment , about how the present genuine pace bowlers not being as good as the bowlers produced in the late 80's and through 1990's.

the likes of donald and ambose were very qiuck and accurate.
    the 2 greats waqar and wasim , used to bowl in the mid 90's mph and swing the ball aswelll......

brett lee and shoaib can sing the balll consistently like waqar and wasim could.

pace and SWING combined is much much more lethal.

for me only shane bond ( if he sorts out his back problems) is a genuine quick boler with a bit of spark....

ReputationRep:
    Murray did well to take it to 3 sets anyway. He saved 8 break points on his serve early in the 2nd set and won that set. A good learning experience for the youngster and hopefully he can build on it. Nice to see his gutsy performance and the fact that he won the 1st 2 matches without playing too well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Also the pitches there lack pace so if that's all he can do (which it is) he wont be that hard to handle there.
    Well, depends.

I've heard noises from the Pakistan camp that we're going to have "sporting wickets" but I suppose that could backfire considering England's pace strength.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.