Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    England to win 3-0, Andrew Strauss as Man of the Series.

Fact Magazine.

ReputationRep:
    In the modern game, I'd say Brett Lee. Not just because he's quick, but he's partial to bowling beemers, which are obviously the balls you'd most fear from a fast bowler.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zooropa)
    Historically, I'd say Marshall, Kapil Dev, Khan, Holding, Lillee, Ambrose and Walsh were feared bowlers.
    Kapil Dev was barely medium pace. The others I agree with.

ReputationRep:
    PAK almost certainly will win the ODIs..but test..hmm that will be really close, but I have a feeling that PAK will win..Just..BTW about SHOAIb..if hes on form and fit..yes he is one of the best bowlers, so ENG best watch out, but if he isn't then he will be expensive!

ReputationRep:
    What? i am really unhappy about van gisbergen even being selected - he is a new zealander, and is basically just playing for whichever side will have him - i would rather an english team lost...
    cohen has huge commitment - far more that i would believe cueto does - remember in the world cup final when dawson put that kick into touch - he was unhumanly angry at the wasted opportunity.
    He can do everything cueto does opportunistic-wise, and can also attack, defend and come as an extra runner into the line for switch moves, therefore far better!
    Cueto cant catch when he's in his own half either!

ReputationRep:
    Im going to take up swimming as exercise whilst i recover from shin splints, so hmmm i may no swim wear so where is best to purchase it? If anyone has any on-line shopping suggestions, that'd be great...also any recommendations as warm up? In summer i went swimming, noticed straight afterwards stretch marks on my arm, right at the joint with my shoulder...i swim very very rarely, once a year usually, if that.

Thanks
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Most sports shops (JJB Sports etc) are quite good and the prices aren't too bad! It depends on your ability on what you do for a warm up. I reckon you should do a few slow lengths and build your speed up. I don't know why you had strech marks...but if it doesn't hurt then its probably harmless!

ReputationRep:
    There was a whole big thread about swimming in here before, with different exercises and routines people do... it would be helpful if I could find it!

On the swimwear, any sports shop in town or the Next website if you're too lazy to go anywhere :p:

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4387502.stm

Top spot? yes quite possibly thought give him a year or two to overtake Federer

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever used their martial art in a real fight?

ReputationRep:
    Are there any decent players on here, or fans of the game? I've been watching for over 10 years now, the world champs is always a nice thing to watch, and inspires me to use my old board mounted on my wall for yonks now. In fact, I've recently started practicing seriously with a view to becoming half decent. I've got a proper stance and throwing action as best I can now, and usually do a few hours a day. Has anyone got any other specific advice to help me improve (apart from drinking 30 pints a day )? I usually do round the board twice then do a few legs, but atm it's taking me a good 20-30mins to warm up and get back into the swing of it; back into the accuracy I can get if you see what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    Usually when January rolls round, I'm in my room with zee darts

Not that great actually Grouping isn't that bad - hitting tonnes all over the place, 140 every now and again, missed a 180 because my damn flight got in the way

I cannot seem to play before 11am - arm is too cold

Fave double... 14

Whens it on BBC again?

ReputationRep:
    impossible

gasquet is beyond murray in every way
    apart from federer he is the best shot maker on the tour, i saw im at nottingham a few times, and he was absolutely stunning and literally tore his opponants apart
    IMO gasquet>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nadal>>>>> >>>>>>>berdych>>>>murray

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frogmansmall)
    Has anyone ever used their martial art in a real fight?
    Our chief Instructor spent a while working the doors of clubs and rave nights. He has had to use his skills, but It's all about prevention as opposed to defending yourself. I have no doubt that someone somewhere will have used their skills, but ask them about it and they'll give you a glossy story about how well they did and how they hit this guy 10 times, and put him in a arm lock and how all the blood went splat etc etc. Real life isn't like the movies. You dont get one person attack and then once you've dealt with them another attacks - its generally a 2 on 1 situatation - factor into the equation an edged weapon then you have a recipie for disaster
    Which brings me right back to my earlier posting - be aware and see it before it happens and be switched on!!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i was just wandering if anyone has found that their system really works, or has been in a situation where they have prevented such things happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Film Extra)
    Guys and Gals.

Rule No.1 Be aware of your surroundings - be switched on. Don't allow yourself to be in a potentially dangerous situation. Make yourself a hard target, not an easy one.

Rule No.2 There is a huge difference between self defence and self protection. Self defence implies you are defending against an an attack that is already happening, self protection is a way of avoiding the attack in the first place by being aware.

Rule No.3 Most traditional arts, whilst good have no real application for the street. Most are based on the ancient fighting arts where samurais wore bamboo armour and rode horses!! Who needs to do those big high swining kicks when a swift kick to the shin or a pre-emptive strike to the eye or throat can be just as effective.

Rule No.4 Don't get too bogged down with grappling and using control and restraint stuff. It tends not to work unless in a 1 on 1 situation. Factor in the effect of alcohol/adrenaline/illegal drugs and you put yourself in the most potentialy dangerous position you'll ever be in

Put very simply: If you have to, go for targets that will give you room to escape ie eyes and breathing. If your attacker cant see you they cant chase you. If they cant breathe then theyre more likely to be more concerned with their own well being and not attacking you
    Good advice - also, if you're going to punch someone, aim to punch them in their solar plexis - that's just above the part of your chest where your ribs meet, strike there and you'll wind the person -. Also, if someone has a weapon like a bat, try and get close to them, so that they've not got room to swing it at you.

And, to add to the previous post about most effective places to aim for - genitals. Girls, there's nothing better than a swift kneecap to the balls if a guy is coming at you. Once they're doubled up in pain, GET AWAY.

Also, I agree with the advice about generally NOT BEING THERE. Get yourself fit so you can run quickly, it could save your life. If someone's got a gun and they're after you, run and change directions lots (tho obviously not towards them) as the average person isn't that good an aim. Scream and shout lots, scratch, bite, there's no shame in using "playground" methods of defence if they're going to save your life.

(and to answer another question posted - no, I've never had to use my training in real life. Truth is, I hope I never do have to!)

ReputationRep:
    Agree with the other's posts. Any sports shop should have a big range of swimwear available. I'd recommend goggles too - helps if your eyes aren't filled with chlorine!

As for warm ups - try some basic stretches before you get in the water, like standing with your legs far apart and touching the floor, then your right ankle, then your left ankle - hold these for about 10 seconds. Shuffle your feet in until you can't touch the floor without bending your legs.

Also, I'd recommend you stretch your shoulders and arms - reach right up to the ceiling, hold for 10 seconds. Roll your shoulders forwards for 10 seconds, roll them backwards for 10 seconds. Put one arm up your back and try to reach it with your other arm coming from over the top of your shoulder.

Basically, don't get into the water cold. Even just walking to the pool will be a good enough warm up as it'll get your legs moving.

Once you're in the water, start slowly. Don't try and do a 1500m swim if you're not a) comfortable or b) that great at swimming. The main point is to feel safe in the water, if you're not that confident, stay in the shallows and swim widths. When your confidence increases, swim lengths.

I'd say aim for 30-45 minutes at first, you don't want to over do it and wake up the next day a bit sore.

Good luck, swimming's generally recognised as the best form of exercise as you use all your muscles without putting any pressure or strain on them.

Hope your shin splints get better soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red665)
    Good advice - also, if you're going to punch someone, aim to punch them in their solar plexis - that's just above the part of your chest where your ribs meet, strike there and you'll wind the person - Also, if someone has a weapon like a bat, try and get close to them, so that they've not got room to swing it at you.

And, to add to the previous post about most effective places to aim for - genitals. Girls, there's nothing better than a swift kneecap to the balls if a guy is coming at you. Once they're doubled up in pain, GET AWAY.

Also, I agree with the advice about generally NOT BEING THERE. Get yourself fit so you can run quickly, it could save your life. If someone's got a gun and they're after you, run and change directions lots (tho obviously not towards them) as the average person isn't that good an aim. Scream and shout lots, scratch, bite, there's no shame in using "playground" methods of defence if they're going to save your life.

(and to answer another question posted - no, I've never had to use my training in real life. Truth is, I hope I never do have to!)
    I agree whole heartedly with these comments. Just want to add this . .Girls, a swift knee to the genitals is just as painful for women as it is for men (So I'm reliably informed). Contrary to popular belief, you need to be closer to, not further away from blunt weapons - but it takes alot of courage to move in and shut down the space when some loony is swinging a baseball bat at you. Adrenaline is a brown colour!!!

ReputationRep:
    If you want a proper violent "combat system" learn some Krav Maga. Now that's what I call a martial art.

(Original post by Colly)
    If you want a proper violent "combat system" learn some Krav Maga. Now that's what I call a martial art.
    Nah...it is developed by the Jews and has so many flaws.

Wing Chun honestly is perfect for street fighting.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.