Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I wish to start playing badminton at university, 3.5 weeks ago was the last time i went running, and a week before then...so done very little exercise in last 5 weeks, gone running once...last time which hurt was nearly the 4 weeks ago..

I can manage walking fine, no problems at all, and i feel i know why i got shin splints - last two years at uni ive done alot of running but it was all on the flat...there were no climbs/mini climbs in my jogs/runs, but i changed my routine due to my change of house and the direction i needed to take to get to a nice running location...which is flat and along a river.

Anyhow, anyone got any experience as to getting back to jogging after shin splints...i won't overdo it obviously...thinking of walking and very slow jogging, neo speed walking pace. I have two of those 'things' (forgive me cant remember the term) to put on my lower legs...to firm things up regarding my legs...leg support.

Thanks, a cautious, paranoid wizard

ReputationRep:
    I hit a 180 the other day!!! YAY!
    Mind you, I'm missing my double's Can't seen to get 16 or 8 anymore...
    Gues thats where my work needs to be done!!!

I find darts (And juggling) a great way to get feeling back into my arms (and bum) after sitting at computer for hours on end struggling with coursework!!!

ReputationRep:
    SQUASH!!!
    Or Badminton...

How about a bit o Parkour...?

ReputationRep:
    Lacrosse! IT's a brilliant game, as violent or non-violent as you want to be (within reason) and great for fitness and upper arm strength.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard its a bit brutal that sport!!!
    (Are we talking about the one with teh stick thing with the net at the end...?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiempo)
    I've heard its a bit brutal that sport!!!
    (Are we talking about the one with teh stick thing with the net at the end...?)
    Yeah...the men's game is anyway, the womens is no more brutal than hockey, don't know why it has a reputation for being like that...

ReputationRep:
    Just do reduce volume from what you did before, say you did 10 hours a week before, start at 5 hours, maintain for 2 weeks, if shinsplints don't return, increase to 6 hours, you need to gradually build it up otherwise they will just keep coming back.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought the womens game of hockey was more violent...
    ... ...
    Anywhoo - Almost had my eyes scratched out by one of those stick-things-with-nets-on-the-end when I was waiting to cross the road in Camden the other day... These who women - who were rather muddy - were stood in front of me with them

ReputationRep:
    Baaaaaaddmiiiiiinnnnttoooooonnn! !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splatt)
    Baaaaaaddmiiiiiinnnnttoooooonnn! !
    YAY!!!

In Borat voice *HI FIIIIVE*

ReputationRep:
    I did Shotokan Karate in Bedford but stopped when I was 10 because I couldn't get to the dojo any more. I reached brown belt - stupid 'intermediate' grades stopped me getting any further

ReputationRep:
    I am back!!!

ReputationRep:
    The England team has just been announced, and its looking soooo good! Still quite shocked Van Gisbergen didn't make the starting line up though...
    have a gander http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...al/4411780.stm

ReputationRep:
    Looking so good? You have a hooker who can't throw, a vastly over-rated loosehead whos main asset is being big, AR has named Sanderson at 6, for some reason I don't understand. Dawson is getting past it but has no competition, Hodgson is playing well but always chokes with pressure kicks. Centre partnership is borinnggg Tindall hasn't played well since WC. Back 3 is good though.
    Oh yea and theres no decent outside backs on the bench, but there are two backup kickers? Hmmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    well - if you think that the loosehead could lift his two front row companions at once, that will dictate heavily on their scrummaging ability, and if you put him at 3 in the line outs this will add height, dependability and versatility to the line outs. Also, with someone that size as the basis for a maul - who will stop that?
    I admit hodgson has been known to choke - but look at him on the lions tour! he's also by far the best running fly half in britain, in my opinion.
    Where would you recommend playing sanderson exactly?
    How is the centre partnership boring? Noon consistenly breaks the line and tindall is a superb bullocker and has good kicking skills.
    I agree dawson isn't the best scrum half - Gomarsall is the man for the job in my opinion, since ellis is turd.
    The back three is good isn't it

ReputationRep:
    By boring, I mean the 2 centres have little creativity, from what I've seen of Noon (mostly 6N) hes a decent player, but he generally runs straight and punches holes which is fine, but id prefer to see a bit more style, maybe someone like Simpson Daniel. Look at Jauzion for France, now he's a class act.

Regardless, England have no hope of beating the ABs. I think Ireland have the best chance of any of the home nations because it's all about the back row. If the Irish back row can compete with Mc Caw and co, they can win the game. Moody is good for england, corry is okay but too slow and I dont have a clue about Sanderson but Im guessing hes not great.

ReputationRep:
    sanderson is pretty good actually - Moody is an absolute god! he seemed to nullify mccaw in the last 2 lions tests - especially with that mincing tackle of the kick off... And, yea - corry is a little donkey-like, but still good technically in my opinion.
    Also - if Ireland are unlikely to have easterby, who does that leave! I know foley's good, and you have the trio of bests ( i cant claim to know too much about them though...)?
    Obviously back row has a lot of influence, but, personally i think the back three will be the most important - I mean, NZ are AWESOME there - and the england back 3 are big enough tacklers to cope - whereas, (bar murphy - he's a beast!) Irelands aren't the best tacklers.
    I do agree some variation in the centres would be more preferable, although simpson-daniel isn't bulky enough, and those two will tackle like nobodies business! - but, they have the perfect combination - a little switch, noon thumps into the line, offloads to tindall, lewsey or cohen coming through the line who run in the try...It would have worked better in the 6N except that barkley was NEVER on his shoulder...

anyway - if you want to quote a truly quality french back, look at bernatsalve :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Irish back row will be good, hopefully Easterby at 6, Foley at 8 and Johnny O'Connor (best openside in the guinness premiership?) at 7. If Easterby doesn't make it, probably Simon Best at 6, who is actually a quality player. JOC is vital though, he outplayed Schalk Burger on his debut in SA. Fair point bout irelands backs, not the greatest tacklers especially without O'Driscoll. Hopefully we can close them down and force them to play a tight game where we can compete with them.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yea - I remember JOC...he's good....
    I personally dont rate berger though - he's only good at cheating which he gets picked up for when he's not in the southern hemisphere...
    I think it will be extremely difficult to close NZ down - did you see the pace with which they rushed up at Wales? then again...neither O'Gara's or Jones' ball distribution is brilliant - so i think these combined factors will not be good for them.
    Although - I must admit i think its hard to draw comparisons of the welsh team yesterday and the full one - after all, they were missing some of their most influential players...all of them Lions aswell!

ReputationRep:
    bodybuilding is very cool sport

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.