Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay let's look at figures then. Australia v Great Britain compared to Australia v England...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tango45)
    I'm a hull fc fan and when I watch at the KC I see athletes, not big fatties rolling on top of each other.
    :eek: Do you seriously think this?? Maybe the front row are generally large, but seriously the rest of the team (especially the backs) are not! and 'rolling on top of each other'....an extreme simplification of the game overall I feel! union players are athletes too, most of them have to be very fit.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: Here we go again.

ReputationRep:
    Having watched the match today I think the Kiwis have the Tri-Nations wrapped up for the next few years...

ReputationRep:
    For fear factor, no one will match Pattrick Patterson. Ever.

ReputationRep:
    If you wanted geniune meanies, I wouldn't recommend you got on the wrong side of Curtly Ambrose or Sarfraz Nawaz. It would be like awakening a lion.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but although Amby was much better then Patto, for sheer fear. BP Patterson set the bar. Gooch said that he feared for his life just once, against debutant Patterson in 1986 at Sabina Park.

Holding, in REAL QUICK (book), says "I believe no one has ever bowled faster or more dangerously". Mikey was one of the fastest and greatest of alltime. Patto was an animal. In 1987, he went thru India in India, bowling them out for 73 inside 30 overs! On those placid tracks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legbreakgoogly)
    Yes, but although Amby was much better then Patto, for sheer fear. BP Patterson set the bar. Gooch said that he feared for his life just once, against debutant Patterson in 1986 at Sabina Park.

Holding, in REAL QUICK (book), says "I believe no one has ever bowled faster or more dangerously". Mikey was one of the fastest and greatest of alltime. Patto was an animal. In 1987, he went thru India in India, bowling them out for 73 inside 30 overs! On those placid tracks.
    Indeed. Reason I remembered Curtly was once Dean Jones of Aus I think asked him to take off his armband, and he did and then took 6 wickets with 1 run

Those were the real bowlers, nobody today comes even close.

ReputationRep:
    7 for 1 at Perth. 1992/3 series. Yes, its one of the greatest spells ever.

ReputationRep:
    7 for 1 at Perth. 1992/3 series. Yes, its one of the greatest spells ever.
    Thats right. Pure brilliance.

If you go back a bit further, 1976/7 at Melbourne - Sarfraz Nawaz took 7 for none in 33 balls and 9/76 for the innings. Real quality fast bowling.

ReputationRep:
    Nawaz was distinctly ave. Sure he had a few good days, and was fiery, but he wasnt a real quick. Ie not routinely over 145K. No way.

His stats bare this out.

Wasim bhai was capable of spitting fire.

ReputationRep:
    Nawaz was distinctly ave. Sure he had a few good days, and was fiery, but he wasnt a real quick. Ie not routinely over 145K. No way.

His stats bare this out.

Wasim bhai was capable of spitting fire.
    Oh yeah. Sarfraz was never quicker than fast medium, but he was the perfect partner to the great Khan, whose hit the deck bouncers and yorkers were of the highest class, supplemented at the other end by high quality swing from Sarfraz. Sure he wasn't in the league of the first bracket of quickies, but he was a fine bowler, 9 wickets in an innings hasn't been done too many times, less so against a top Aus side in their own backyard.

ReputationRep:
    He was functionable.

Khan bhai was the finest. All the attributes of the greatest. My fave, not the quickest, but I think the most intelligent fast bowler ever, was Sir Richard Hadlee.

ReputationRep:
    He was functionable.

Khan bhai was the finest. All the attributes of the greatest. My fave, not the quickest, but I think the most intelligent fast bowler ever, was Sir Richard Hadlee.
    Hadlee was a class bowler, but for me Imran tops all

ReputationRep:
    Both great bowlers.

ReputationRep:
    definitely Wasim Akram!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryStudent)
    union players are athletes too, most of them have to be very fit.
    If you want an athletic national rugby union side look to the All Blacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    If you want an athletic national rugby union side look to the All Blacks.
    If you think the all blacks are atheltic, wait until you see Western Samoa - so much fitter....

ReputationRep:
    Most of the All-Blacks are of Samoan/Fijian/Tongan nationality anyway so there ain't much difference. And I would say that the ABs are much fitter/athletic because they have better resources and coaching etc. compared to the Pacific Islanders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colly)
    Most of the All-Blacks are of Samoan/Fijian/Tongan nationality anyway so there ain't much difference. And I would say that the ABs are much fitter/athletic because they have better resources and coaching etc. compared to the Pacific Islanders.
    true...
    also, they have a larger domestic competition so therefore more players to choose from.
    But, the pacific islanders are, in my opinions the most exciting rugby teams to watch (although the current AB's would be the top, obviously...)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.